Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 10

Options
  • 11-11-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭

Early start to the football week with the Ravens and Falcons on tonight:

Thursday:
    Baltimore at Atlanta

Sunday:
    Detroit at Buffalo
    Minnesota at Chicago
    NY Jets at Cleveland
    Carolina at Tampa Bay
    Houston at Jacksonville
    Cincinnati at Indianapolis
    Tennessee at Miami
    Kansas City at Denver
    Dallas at NY Giants
    Seattle at Arizona Stadium
    St. Louis at San Francisco
    New England at Pittsburgh

Monday:
    Philadelphia at Washington

·Bye: Green Bay, Oakland, New Orleans, San Diego

On tonights game:
    The Atlanta Falcons and the Baltimore Ravens had byes to close October, giving them plenty of time to prepare for their last game -- and both remained atop their divisions. They won't have nearly as much time to get ready this week.

Four days after each team last played, the Falcons and their high-powered offense square off with the Ravens and their formidable defense Thursday night at the Georgia Dome.

Atlanta (6-2) and Baltimore (6-2) are led by third-year quarterbacks Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, respectively, and this will be the first time each will be facing a short turnaround.

"In college when we played on a Thursday night, it seemed like we had a bye the week before so we had ample time to prepare," Ryan said.

The Falcons and the Ravens each had their bye weeks prior to Sunday, when Atlanta defeated Tampa Bay 27-21 to take over sole possession of the NFC South lead, while Baltimore beat Miami 26-10 to stay atop the AFC North.

"The thing is, that both teams are going through the same thing," said Flacco, who completed 20 of 27 passes for 266 yards and two touchdowns Sunday. "I've never gone through it before. It should be fun. Instead of practicing on Thursday, we'll be playing a game so I think we'll all be happy about that."

Immediately following his team's win Sunday, Falcons coach Mike Smith and his staff went to the training complex to break down film and begin installing the gameplan for Thursday. Ravens coach John Harbaugh had similar time constraints, but his team also must deal with a flight to Atlanta.

"We lost two days of our life I think," Harbaugh said. "Both teams played less than 24 hours before we were back at practice so it was a little different tempo."

Harbaugh's biggest concern this week will be trying to slow down an Atlanta offense that has averaged 30.8 points in winning its four home games. The Falcons have won 13 straight home games when starting Ryan, who is 17-1 all-time at the Georgia Dome and expects to have his favorite target available.

Atlanta got a big scare in the first quarter Sunday when Roddy White twisted his right knee making an 11-yard catch along the sideline. He went to the locker room to get treated and played the second half with a leg brace.

White, second in the NFL in receptions with 58 and receiving yards with 796, was limited in Atlanta's final practice Wednesday and is listed as questionable.

"It's tough on your body because it's so quick," Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson said of the short week. "Usually around Wednesday, you're still healing. Well, this Wednesday, we'll be talking about playing a game on Thursday. That's a quick turnaround, so guys have got to do everything they can to take care of their bodies."

Atlanta, held below 16 points only once this season, now faces a Baltimore defense that has limited six of its eight opponents to 17 or fewer.

The Ravens held the opposition under 85 rushing yards for the third time in five games Sunday, a span in which they haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher. Falcons running back Michael Turner has topped the 100-yard mark in back-to-back games and four of six.

"Obviously, they have a defense that does a lot of things and they have a lot of talented guys," Ryan said. "We are going to have our work cut out for us."

The Ravens held the Dolphins scoreless after halftime Sunday while also forcing three turnovers, giving them nine takeaways in the last three games.

Baltimore's offense is also finding its rhythm, averaging 28.5 points and 389.5 yards in the last four games.

Flacco has seven touchdown passes with no interceptions in his past three games, throwing for at least 250 yards in each. Ray Rice had 97 yards receiving and 83 rushing Sunday, giving him 538 total yards in his last four games.

"We're hitting our stride right now as a team," Rice said. "We're finding ways to put everything together."

The Ravens are 2-1 all-time against the Falcons and won the last meeting 24-10 in 2006.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thursday:
    Baltimore at Atlanta

Sunday:
    Detroit at Buffalo
    Minnesota at Chicago
    NY Jets at Cleveland :pac:
    Carolina at Tampa Bay
    Houston at Jacksonville
    Cincinnati at Indianapolis
    Tennessee at Miami
    Kansas City at Denver
    Dallas at NY Giants
    Seattle at Arizona
    St. Louis at San Francisco
    New England at Pittsburgh

Monday:
    Philadelphia at Washington

·Bye: Green Bay, Oakland, New Orleans, San Diego

Gonna stay up tonight and watch the Ravens trounce the Falcons on gamepass. Though you have to respect the brilliant home record they have. Going to be a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

TONIGHT:
    Ravens

SUNDAY:
    Lions
    Bears
    Jets
    Buccs
    Dolphins...Surely time for a W at home!
    Chiefs
    Giants
    Cards
    49ers.....oOh yeah:D
    Steelers

MNF:
    Eagles.

Looking forward to game tonight aswell, coverage from 1am on Sky Sports 2, Lots of work done tomorrow.....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Soooooooo tempted to stay up for the game tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Craig Dowling

soooo glad im not in work tomorrow
    gonna watch this

hoping for a shoot out tonight

Excellent, there are a few of us up tonight to watch the game

Two 6-2 teams
    Heart says Ravens, head says Falcons and realy I'm don't know in the end

Going to be a cracking game tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,769 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Heart says Ravens, head says Falcons and realy I'm don't know in the end
    I have to say we are polar opposite ends of that statement.

I'd love to see Atlanta do it but I just cannot see it happening. Flacco is playing well at the moment and he has a bunch of good targets.

The Ravens seemed to get things right on D against Miami after a horrid game against the Bills and I just don't see how the Falcons can score big against them. And Roddy White is reportedly not in good shape heading into the game as well as their center. If he center is hurt that will huge, almost as big as White if he doesn't make it.

I just can't see the Falcons having much success on the ground and you'd have to think that Gonzalez will be facing Ed Reed quite a lot when he does get off the line. He could spend a lot of time blocking in this game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

49ers fan wrote: »
    TONIGHT:
    Ravens

SUNDAY:
    Lions
    Bears
    Jets
    Buccs
    Dolphins...Surely time for a W at home!
    Chiefs
    Giants
    Cards
    49ers.....oOh yeah:D
    Steelers

MNF:
    Eagles.

Looking forward to game tonight aswell, coverage from 1am on Sky Sports 2, Lots of work done tomorrow.....:cool:

When are you posting the rest of your picks? :pac:

Texans
    Colts

Well spotted, Thanks;)

Got to go with the Ravans tonight, Have Baltimore's, Billy Cundiff in my Fantasy Team....I Reckon this could come down to Kickers

Billy Cundiff is a great kicker.
    After being bouced around a few teams he now has a home. And confidence is key

I like this video, it's a profile of his part time coach
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/09000d5d81b5ed29/Meet-mayor-coach-Randy-Brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Think I'll stay up for this one, not in til half 12 tomorrow and quality match to start the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What a finish. Get the fook in Matt Ryan, what a performance :D

Great game for the neutral but horrendous defense from the Ravens at the end. Matt Ryan continues to prove himself as a real top QB in the making. I thought he should have went no.1 in the draft a couple of years back. In fairness Miami did get an awesome tackle that year but they still don't have a QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

My beloved Packers are on a bye... who to watch this weekend and pretend I like until next Sunday...? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

eagle eye wrote: »
    Great game for the neutral but horrendous defense from the Ravens at the end. .

I reckon the Ravens were unlucky. They didn't play for the first half and then seemed to be able to score at will in the final quarter. Roddy White's last TD was clearly down to a push off, it should have been Offensive PI. If that had been called the Falcons would have been 4th and 20.

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted, I picked Atlanta, and I have White in my fantasy team, but it was a bad non-call. Now we know why Atlanta is so good at home..:)
    Seriously, I think they got the benefit of a number of calls.

Just after watching that match again, def. a push off... Falcons were very lucky, although Matt Ryan was class. Roll on tomorrow, Go Niners...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

11-2 in picks last week :D

Thursday:
    Baltimore at Atlanta - irrelevant as i'm too late now lol. would have taken atlanta cause they dont lose at home with ryan but that's moot.

Sunday:
    Detroit at Buffalo - if stanton plays, win no. 1 for the bills..

Minnesota at Chicago - ray edwards and jared allen seemed to finally show up last week, if that is the case then cutler will actually get flattened.... duno how ol' gunslinger does but if the vikes keep giving the bears a steady dose of AP and put a lot of pressure on cutler they'll pull it out... hard one to call though due to the inconsistency of both teams

NY Jets at Cleveland - tough call here, but i think the browns will have a comedown from last week

Carolina at Tampa Bay - Tampa are good against the weak/average teams

Houston at Jacksonville - Depends on which Jags show up but i think the Texans rebound here, both defences are piss poor though so possible shootout here

Cincinnati at Indianapolis - Peyton manning doesn't lose at home to inferior teams

Tennessee at Miami - Randy Moss has the added effect of opening things up well for the run game, due to his deep presence... CJ could cause real trouble then.

Kansas City at Denver - we have absolutely no business winning this, but the chiefs are much more beatable on the road and we shock them. Jamaal charles will gash us when he is given the ball so Todd Haley will insist on Jones getting most of the carries, as he does

Dallas at NY Giants - Dallas play them a bit closer than expected but the Giants have way too much for a 1-7 team with a new coach and Jon Kitna as QB at the end of the day

Seattle at Arizona - Toss a coin on this one really.. both these teams suck tbh, but id lean towards AZ cause they're at home and Seattle travel poorly

St. Louis at San Francisco - STL are better at home and San Fran may just start to pull a few things together now...

New England at Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh are less injury hit and at home so i think they edge this.

Monday:
    Philadelphia at Washington - Wash defence isnt great and Philly look very good...

Good picks last week Spiralism, Reckon this has to be the turning point for the 49ers myself alright, a win here should kick start a bit of a change around......Hopefully:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Lions v Bills - Bills been playing better than 0-8 record. Finally get a Win. Nap of the week for me.

Vikings v Bears - Run AP and they win

Jets - Browns - Upset potetial here. Jets not been great recently.

Panthers - Bucs - Nice easy home game

Texans - Jaguars - Jags flattered by win over cowboys. Big win here for Texans

Titans - Dolphins - Moss & CJ2k against Chad Pennington?

Chiefs - Broncos- Hard game to call. Broncos have been awful. Chiefs better.

Cowboys - Giants - great chance for Giants to pile on the pressure. Win here and within touching distance of the playoffs. Lets go Eli!!

Seahawks - Cardinals - Arizona were good last week. Breaston and Doucet back to take pressure off Larry Fitz. 2nd best bet of the week.

Rams - 49ers - Home teams tend to win in the NFL

Pats - Steelers- Pats are struggling a little. Mendenhal big game and steelers win

Eagles - Redskins - Seems to be issues in Washington. More talent in Philly

id be very grateful for score updates in this thread if anyone is willing. boards is the only site i can get working on ps3 browser :(

• Advertisement

Poor Chad Pennington

Two plays and he's gone off injured :(

Edit: Confirmed as shoulder injury (yet again!) , return questionable

Feel kinda sorry for him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

7-7 Miami, CJ with the equalising TD after a very smooth drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Colts 10-0, Vinatieri FG and an interception return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Archimedes wrote: »
    id be very grateful for score updates in this thread if anyone is willing. boards is the only site i can get working on ps3 browser :(

Titans 10-7 Miami
    Jets 3-3 Browns
    Bengals 0-10 Colts (in redzone at time of post)
    Vikings 3-0 Bears
    Lions 0-0 Bills
    Panthers 3-7 Buccaneers
    Texans 3-3 Jags

Most games into 2nd quarter now.

Just as an aside, if you have an ipod or ipod touch the NFL app is well worth getting

thanks guys. id thank ur posts but everytime i refresh a page it logs me out. FML.

Browns up 10-3. I said last week that the win meant they were for real. If they take out the Jets it will make things real interesting for the rest of the season for them. Their schedule is not that difficult apart from the two homes games with the Ravens and Steelers. If they win this one they could run their remaining games and at 11-5 have a chance at the division or at least a wildcard spot. The way they are playing right now is scary good. This Jets D doesn't give up many points and they've given up 10 in the first quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Colts 10-0, Vinatieri FG and an interception return.

Followed by a fumble and TD. 17-0 colts.

Brutal throw by Palmer for that INT.

thanks guys. id thank ur posts but everytime i refresh a page it logs me out. FML.
    What sort of problems are you having? Send me a pm with all the problems and I'll send you back any solutions I know of.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Followed by a fumble and TD. 17-0 colts.

Brutal throw by Palmer for that INT.
    Palmer should be benched. I was watching that game and all his throws are off, not just one or two. Horrendous stuff.

Advertisement