Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer: dehydrating or not?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Beer. It's the only evidence of a benign universe, but is it dehydrating? As I understand it, alcohol is a diuretic. But beer is a weak alcohol solution that's still mostly water and so has a nett hydrating effect.

But then you have six, of an evening, and go to bed, no salty fast food, nothing. You wake up dehydrated and thirsty. Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Pretty much any alcoholic drink has a net dehydrating effect. Best to drink a glass of water occasionally when drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Beer. It's the only evidence of a benign universe, but is it dehydrating? As I understand it, alcohol is a diuretic. But beer is a weak alcohol solution that's still mostly water and so has a nett hydrating effect.

But then you have six, of an evening, and go to bed, no salty fast food, nothing. You wake up dehydrated and thirsty. Why?

One glass of beer might have a net hydrating effect but when you have 6 the diuretic effects of the alcohol in the beer will outweigh this.

But why?

Why does it go from being hydrating to dehydrating all of a sudden when the ratio of alcohol to water in the beer will remain constant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

But why?

Why does it go from being hydrating to dehydrating all of a sudden when the ratio of alcohol to water in the beer will remain constant?

So you're asking why do you get drunk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I know I tend to use the loo an awful lot more when I am drinking. I know it may be because of the large quantity of fluids I am consuming, but I must surely also be expelling nutrients / electrolytes etc no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

But why?

Because alcohol is toxic to your body.

What does your body wish to do with toxins if it can? Excrete them.

How does your body deal with the toxic effects of alcohol? Urinate.

So, you are drinking lots of alcohol - ergo, you urinate a lot over the next few hours and if you are not drinking enough water between drinks or before you sleep = dehydrate.

Like said, the 1st drink will have an overall hydrating effect but the more you drink, the above will apply.

menoscemo wrote: »
    So you're asking why do you get drunk?

I don't think so.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Advertisement