Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your teams most underrated player?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

You know, the player most fans probably wouldn't know their name but true fans of your team recognize their worth.
    Maybe it's a punter even or special team star even?

Team: Ravens

Player: Jarrett Johnson

I was going to say Todd Heap but realy, he is well known so doesn't realy fit

Double J is our most underrated player. Truth be told, not having a great season and nursing a shouder injury.
    Very adaptable, plays OLB, has played DE and when the great Ray Lewis retires he may play MLB.
    A great tackler and has 16 sacks in his career.

What about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

when i saw the thread title i was going to say Johnson. Also Koch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah, I could have said Sam Koch too

Punt, throw, run, tackle.
    What a punter!

Why he throws the ball better then Tebow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Team: New England Patriots.

Player: Kevin Faulk.

The man is criminally underrated. Maybe he's been gaining recognition over the last couple of years but overall he's never spoken about. Run, catch, block, can do it all and on a consistent basis. Such a good workhorse. The Patriots have missed him dearly this season IMO. Always such a good player. Forget your Petersons, Johnsons, Jones-Drews, I'd love to have Faulk on any team!

Honourable mention: DE Mike Wright.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Team: New England Patriots

Player: Jerod Mayo, he won the DROY a couple of years back but even after that people didn't rate him hugely for some reason. He gets the respect from New England fans but for a lot of them it seems to be a kind of oh yeah he is great when you remind them about him after they've named five or six players who they think are great and omitted him for some reason.

Imo he doesn't get nearly enough respect outside of New England either. He has been fantastic this season and the numbers are there to prove it. I just don't get why they are not talking about him for DPOY. I think it proves just how underrated and overlooked he is.

Up to this year I'd have said Matt Light but he has not been as good this year. I think he is nearing the end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

DJ Williams, he's got 72 tackles and 4 sacks this year as an MLB already and not a peep about him cause the rest of our D is injury hit/lousy and there are a lot of high quality MLBs in the league

Also, Kevin Vickerson and Robert Ayers are very effective players on our D, we are noticeably better against the run when one or both of em plays.... both sat out the SF and Oak games and we got ran over... Vickerson played against the Jets and we shut their run game down more or less, both were injured @ Baltimore and Rice killed us, and both played @ TEN when we shut Chris Johnson down...no coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Montell Owens for the Jags. FB who plays every special teams play. the dude is a beast! and hes always got a good trick play up his sleeve for fake punts too ;)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b35466/Montell-Owens-Highlight-WK-04-vs-Texans-2008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Chargers - I have quite a few to select from but I'm going to plump for Antonio Garay our new NT. The guy was drafted in 2003 (by the Browns) but didn't even play 04 and 05. This is the first time he has seen some extended playing time and he has (believe it or not) made us forget all about Jamal Williams who took the money and legged it to Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Justin10

Chargers too and would have to probably say Garay. Playing great stuff this year. Also note for Philips and Siler.

On ReacherCreature post Faulk is class. So underrated, but highly rated in that organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Raiders

Tyvon Branch Safety #33

This guy is a beast and a playmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Raiders

Tyvon Branch Safety #33

Welcome back man.:)

I remember in the 2008 draft and I really wanted Branch as a Patriot. He had all the good qualities that you want in a guy and he was so fast too. I remember telling Chucky at the time that the Raiders had gotten real value picking him up in the 4th round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

have to say for Cowboys this season you awould have to say Kitna

clutch performer and might get a a QB1 gig next season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Stefan Logan - Detroit Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Jaquai Parker - Eagles.

Absolutly immense the difference he makes when on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Theresa few but ya gotta give some props to Patrick Mannelly. Rarest of rares that you see him make a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

bobby wade wrote: »
    Theresa few but ya gotta give some props to Patrick Mannelly. Rarest of rares that you see him make a mistake

The values of a long snapper is rarely considered until you are in the final seconds of a game with an extra point kick to take the game into overtime. Enter Nick Sundberg of the Redskins.

In fairness the holder should have still got it. Think he got released during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

For the Saints Lance Moore is criminally underrated. Such a vital cog in the offence and leads the team in targets in the red zone. I honestly think he's in the top 20 in the league but hardly ever gets mentioned

Courtney Roby is also underrted as a kick returner (and general special teams play). Nice to see the Superdome chant for him when down injured last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Raiders

Tyvon Branch Safety #33

I would concur with this. Lamarr Houston would be a close second, guy is turning into a solid player!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

I know he is not under-rated per say but he is a rookie at an integral position and that would be the Steeler rookie center Pouncey.

He drives hard all day and is another in a long line of HOF centers in Pittsburgh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

jdivision wrote: »
    Stefan Logan - Detroit Lions

Criminal move when the Steelers released him. Dangerous returner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Some ridic comments in this thread lads...

Lance Moore in the top 20 Wr's? He's a good player but nowhere near that, I wouldn't even say it's a given that he's the second best on his team... he also sees a lot less targets when Bush is in the team.

Mayo is a superb player but DPOY??? Are you joking... not playing in the same league as guys like Peppers, Woodley and Matthews this season.

I'd echo the selection of Parker for the eagles, with an honourable mention to Winston Justice who has gone from a laughing stock (due to shocking in game management by Reid) to being probably our most solid performer on the o-line this year (not saying too much tho tbh...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Jets

Brad Smith.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Lance Moore in the top 20 Wr's? He's a good player but nowhere near that, I wouldn't even say it's a given that he's the second best on his team... he also sees a lot less targets when Bush is in the team.
    See I disagree, hence why i think he's underrated. If everyone thought the same he wouldn't be underrated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

You really think Lance Moore is a top 20 WR?

I could name 20, even 30 wide receivers that are better than him off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭davetherave

Zach Bowman
    Israel Idonijie, being on a D-Line with the likes of Harris and Peppers he often gets over looked. He has 41 tackles and 7 sacks to his name.

Pat Mannelly, like said above, or equally Brad Maynard. In his tenth season season with Chicago, 13th overall. Only 5 blocked/muffed punts and 52,000 yards to his name. Highest from actives and third overall.

Izzies a good shout-out.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    You really think Lance Moore is a top 20 WR?

Yes.

We differ on our opinin, no big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,225 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bears starting nickelback DJ Moore is another underrated player on the team. 5 INT's, 1 returned for a TD and a sack. He's made some mistakes but he's made a lot of big plays when on the field also.

His interviews are always fun too.

Reporter: ''What do you admire most about Tom Brady?''

DJ: ''His taste in women, definitely.''

Moore has had a very good season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'm sure he has had a good season, but is he really a better WR than the following:

Brandon Marshall
    Wes Welker
    Deion Branch
    Santonio Holmes
    Anquan Boldin
    Chad Ochocinco
    Terrel Owens
    Mike Wallace
    Hines Ward
    Andre Johnson
    Reggie Wayne
    Kenny Britt
    Brandon Lloyd
    Dwayne Bowe
    Vincent Jackson
    Miles Austin
    Hakeem Nicks
    Steve Smith (NYG)
    Steve Smith (CAR)
    DeSean Jackson
    Jeremy Maclin
    Greg Jennings
    Calvin Johnson
    Sidney Rice
    Percy Harvin
    Roddy White
    Marques Colston
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Randy Moss
    Michael Crabtree

I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I'm sure he has had a good season, but is he really a better WR than the following:

Brandon Marshall
    Wes Welker
    Deion Branch
    Santonio Holmes
    Anquan Boldin
    Chad Ochocinco
    Terrel Owens
    Mike Wallace
    Hines Ward
    Andre Johnson
    Reggie Wayne
    Kenny Britt
    Brandon Lloyd
    Dwayne Bowe
    Vincent Jackson
    Miles Austin
    Hakeem Nicks
    Steve Smith (NYG)
    Steve Smith (CAR)
    DeSean Jackson
    Jeremy Maclin
    Greg Jennings
    Calvin Johnson
    Sidney Rice
    Percy Harvin
    Roddy White
    Marques Colston
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Randy Moss
    Michael Crabtree

I think not.

Oh Tom on Lance Moore you are totally right but you are the Hooded Wise One of posters (Bellichek) as you have to ram the argument down his neck

also some of these guys performed well in 2009 but this year?

Randy Moss - nearly more teams than TDs
    Crabtree - suffered from Quarterback travails
    Steve Smith (Carolina) - bad year , QB again
    Miles Austin - disappointing season (800 yrd tho)
    OchoCinco - very disappointing

Advertisement