Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

16.3k in 78.14 (4.48 pace)

Easy run home from work. Probably worked a bit harder and went a bit faster than I should have - 4.37 and 4.38 ks are not really easy pace for me - but fine really. Only problems are some stiffness in my right achilles these last few days, and I really need to remember to bring bodyglide in to work :o

July: 9/108.46
    this year: 182/1911.74

8.8k in 47.54 (5.26 pace)

Took it easy this morning. Still a bit stiff from yesterday, and I'm racing tomorrow, so discretion, valour, etc...

July: 10/117.26
    this year: 183/1920.54

4.56k in 24.01 (5.16 pace)

Rather than watch the couch to 5k group run in circles round a pitch again I took them on a slightly longer loop. Unfortunately 6 min/k pace is still a bit fast for them, and some of them were gasping after 10 minutes :) Still, they had a good run and I got a bit of recovery running in, plus showed them all some stretches afterwards...

July: 10/121.82
    this year: 183/1925.1

BHAA Irishtown 5k - 19.14 Garmin time

Very frustrating race this one. Started with 500m around the track - fine - then a run through the carpark - grand - but when we got onto the park paths they were so narrow it was instant traffic jam. Even worse actually, before we got into the park we ran along a path parallel to it and passing was just impossible, there was a wall to the left and a bank to the right, nowhere to go at all.:( First k of the race was my slowest at 3.52, which is just crazy.
    Inside the park itself it was better, but all through the first lap I kept having to choose between waiting behind people for a gap to develop, or running round them on the grass, and that's something I've tried to train myself out of doing because I know I pay for it later. Things were spread out more by the second lap, and I suppose I was only 10-15 seconds down on where I wanted to be at that stage, but I found it hard to pick up the pace enough to regain the time. Not physically hard, but mentally I was locked in to my current pace. A 5 second/km acceleration in a race (or even a training run) isn't something I do very often... but is probably something I should work on.
    Last k was the fastest of the race, at 3.45, and it was comfortable :rolleyes: Finished (in a hailstorm for the last k :eek:) by kicking past some people on the track, but not feeling like I'd run a race at all.

On the bright side, everything surrounding the race was up to the usual BHAA standard, I had a good workout, and my calf and achilles, which had been a bit tight during my warmup, didn't give me any trouble at all during the run. I'll just have to wait for Rathfarnham to give my 5k time a good kicking...

July: 11/129.98
    this year: 184/1933.26

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Lapped 5k's are always a disaster in my opinion, there just simply isn't enough time for the field to spread out especially in a BHAA where there would be a lot of runners at the faster end of things. Well done on the time considering the circumstances, I predict very low 18s for you on the right course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Great running again Ray, it's gonna take me about 2 years to catch you now.:)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Great running again Ray, it's gonna take me about 2 years to catch you now.:)

Who says you're ever going to catch me?:D

(I think you need to spend some time building your base, getting in the consistent miles. Let your doppelganger worry about races and times for a while. But maybe go along to that club and do a weekly faster session with them - sessions where you concentrate on effort and pace off the people around you, rather than try to hit a certain pace on your watch)

RayCun wrote: »
    Who says you're ever going to catch me?:D

(I think you need to spend some time building your base, getting in the consistent miles. Let your doppelganger worry about races and times for a while. But maybe go along to that club and do a weekly faster session with them - sessions where you concentrate on effort and pace off the people around you, rather than try to hit a certain pace on your watch)

Here's the problem, I'm broken! :o

Edit: I'm so going to catch you!

Here's the problem, I'm broken!

I respectfully suggest that racing 5ks every week and pacing marathons is not the best way to become unbroken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I respectfully suggest that racing 5ks every week and pacing marathons is not the best way to become unbroken.

I'm afraid it's a lost cause Ray. This one used to be great at doling out sensible advice but he appears to have caught 'the bug' that's going around :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

19:14 and you finished feeling like you had not run race...great stuff Ray. Roll on Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

menoscemo wrote: »

I'm afraid it's a lost cause Ray. This one used to be great at doling out sensible advice but he appears to have caught 'the bug' that's going around :p

My sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Finished (in a hailstorm for the last k :eek:) by kicking past some people on the track, but not feeling like I'd run a race at all.

I'll just have to wait for Rathfarnham to give my 5k time a good kicking...

What's with all the kicking?

Seriously Ray, great time....again.

I have evolved into a ginormous pair of legs. Run, kick, type with my toes... it's about all I can do :)

If you have a solution Ray I'd be delighted to hear it, so far I have:

Rested
    Stopped running for 2 months
    Taken Antibiotics
    Trained gently by hr
    Kept all of my long runs under 12 miles for the first 3 months of the year
    Tried every supplement available
    Taken naps
    Wasted money on the GP
    Cut out alcohol
    Increased alcohol consumption

So I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, so I may aswell do.

Rant over;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If you have a solution Ray I'd be delighted to hear it, so far I have:

Rested
    Stopped running for 2 months
    Taken Antibiotics
    Trained gently by hr
    Kept all of my long runs under 12 miles for the first 3 months of the year
    Tried every supplement available
    Taken naps
    Wasted money on the GP
    Cut out alcohol
    Increased alcohol consumption

So I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, so I may aswell do.

Rant over;)
    I know what you mean, for such a simple sport it can be very complex.

10.06k in 48.50 (4.51 pace)

Easy run home from work. Kept the pace around 4.50 as much as possible.

Supposed to be doing couch 2 5k training this evening, but the rain meant the kids training was cancelled, which meant the boy had to be brought home, which means someone else got to stand in a muddy field in the rain watching people jog around in circles :)

July: 12/140.04
    this year: 185/1943.32

9.7k in 48.17 (4.58 pace)

Easy run back into work. Another 'late' night last night (coaches meeting) so I was a bit tired.

July: 13/149.74
    this year: 186/1953.02

10.38k in 50.08 (4.50 pace)

OH out for the day today, so only time for a shortish easy run in the morning...

July: 14/160.12
    this year: 187/1963.4

26.01k in 2.08.12 (4.56 pace)

Long run day rolls around again... 8kish up to Knocklyon to meet a few people from the club, their regular 10k loop around Stocking Lane, and 8k or so home again afterwards. Good to have company through the middle section, made it easier to keep things consistent. Started to flag a bit in the last miles but kept the pace up to home.

July: 15/186.13
    this year: 188/1989.41

• Advertisement

7.1k in 37.06 (5.14 pace)

Easy run into James' to give blood.
    For some reason they decided to go with my right arm again. All going fine for about 20 minutes, when draw pressure started dropping and return pressure started to rise, and oh look, I appear to have a golf ball in my arm... and that was the end of this month's visit.

July: 16/193.23
    this year: 189/1996.51

4.18k in 26.07 (6.15 pace)
    about 9k

Yesterday, took it very easy. Wasn't going to run at all, but I had the couch 2 5k group to train, so I jogged around with them for a while.
    Forgot to pack the Garmin and ipod this morning. Kept the pace on the slow side of easy on the way home. Not going to push at all over the next couple of days, and then will do the normal long run on Saturday.

July: 18/206.41
    this year: 191/2009.69

Whoever tidied up my watch yesterday must have switched it on too, it was out of charge this morning. Doh!

about 9k again, taking it easy again.

July: 19/215.41
    this year: 192/2018.69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Whoever tidied up my watch yesterday must have switched it on too, it was out of charge this morning. Doh!

about 9k again, taking it easy again.

July: 19/215.41
    this year: 192/2018.69

Wasn't me! :cool:

5.82k in 35.38 (6.07 pace)

and out again this evening, with the couch to 5k group

July: 19/221.23
    this year: 192/2024.51

9.66k in 48.26 (5.00 pace)

Watch charged and on my wrist :)
    Still not pushing at all, but was happy to go a little faster than the last few days. I'm wearing the Wave Elixirs on more of these easy runs, to get more used to them ahead of the half, and I really feel it in the calves.

July: 20/230.89
    this year: 193/2034.17

26.09k in 2.10.20 (5.00 pace)

First run in Phoenix Park in ages. Ran up, having trouble keeping my pace down to about 5min/kms, and did about 8k before meeting macinalli, digger, claralara and meno in the car park. Ran with them down the Kyber, up Military and the s-bends, and through the glen. The pace was a little slow for my run, but a little fast for the guys just starting a marathon LSR so we parted ways at the junction of Ordnance and Furze. I picked the pace back up to 5 min kms down to the other end of the park and for a loop through the war memorial gardens before heading to home. The last 30 minutes were a bit tougher, partly because I was on the stretch through Inchicore and Bluebell that usually means I'm almost done, but I knew I'd have to run around the local park for a few minutes to make up the distance. Those last few k felt tough, but they were also fast, 4.50 and 4.39.

July: 21/256.98
    this year: 194/2060.26

9.94k in 49.35 (4.59 pace)

Didn't feel all that easy - legs still stiff and tired from yesterday. Warm and windy day out there, glad I'm not racing.

July: 22/266.92
    this year: 195/2070.2

18.01k in 90.18 (5.01 pace)

Tough run today. This made 56k in 3 days (33 miles?) which I think is the furthest I've done in that period. I was tired after Saturday's run, Sunday recovered a bit but still a bit tired, and today I could still feel those two runs. Plus it's hot and windy, and I hate heat. (usually I'd have done a recovery run yesterday, but I'm saving that for tomorrow, ahead of the 1500m) But I need to build endurance, so these runs have to be done... Anyway, it was never easy, but never too hard, just a bit of a slog all the way around. Lap of UCD first, along the canal past the boot campers, through Bushy and a couple of laps of a local park just to bring up the distance. Tired now, and will break out the foam roller (for the first time in months) this evening.

July: 23/284.93
    this year: 196/2088.21

• Advertisement

18.01k in 90.18 (5.01 pace)

Tough run today. This made 56k in 3 days (33 miles?) which I think is the furthest I've done in that period. I was tired after Saturday's run, Sunday recovered a bit but still a bit tired, and today I could still feel those two runs. Plus it's hot and windy, and I hate heat. (usually I'd have done a recovery run yesterday, but I'm saving that for tomorrow, ahead of the 1500m) But I need to build endurance, so these runs have to be done... Anyway, it was never easy, but never too hard, just a bit of a slog all the way around. Lap of UCD first, along the canal past the boot campers, through Bushy and a couple of laps of a local park just to bring up the distance. Tired now, and will break out the foam roller (for the first time in months) this evening.

July: 23/284.93
    this year: 196/2088.21

That's some run in that heat Ray, well done.

Advertisement