Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking story on Contador

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

One year from when ?????????????? last year's TDF ??!!
    Could he ride this years Vuelta ??!!
    I think he's getting off lightly, but I guess the 'actual' evidence is missing, a bit like.......what's his face..........Lancelot !! Oh and congrats to Andy..... ahem cough.....and Nicholas (14th).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

The Federation will recommend a 1 year Ban UCI will appeal to CAS it will take another 6 months, he'll get 2 years and serve only 6.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

He won't be able to ride once suspended, even if it is appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Surely he would have been tested throughout the tour and came up clean until this instance?

Right. So what does that prove? The clenbuterol was introduced into his body suddenly, and in a very small amount.

There are two explanations for this. One is that he ate some meat. The other is that he transfused some blood.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Or he had steak from a cow that was blood doping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I don't know the whole story
    Maybe....!! ie. .....like the evidence of plasticisers in his blood, test showed this but unfortunately test wasn't approved at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

el tonto wrote: »
    He won't be able to ride once suspended, even if it is appealed.

I understand that, but by the time the sentence is applied he'll be 18 months down the road from the positive test, and might have only actually 6 months to serve which won't seem like justice done considering how quickly that Radioshack guy got banned.

By the sounds of it, it could be applied this week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Lumen wrote: »
    Right. So what does that prove? The clenbuterol was introduced into his body suddenly, and in a very small amount.

There are two explanations for this. One is that he ate some meat. The other is that he transfused some blood.

Ah okay, I was thinking that the clenbuterol would have been used directly to effect weight loss. It didn't occur to me that it would come across from the plastic bag used in a transfusion of blood in a detectable quantity. Sorry about my ignorance, this had probably been covered earlier and in the news a few times but I didn't cop on.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. Whats the general proceedure now? Will a full report be released after a ban is implemented, or will the details be kept from the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Ah okay, I was thinking that the clenbuterol would have been used directly to effect weight loss. It didn't occur to me that it would come across from the plastic bag used in a transfusion of blood in a detectable quantity.

Just to be clear:

- Clenbuterol: drug for fat burning (cows/cyclists/whatever).
    - Plasticizers: additive for making blood bags soft.

The presence of both, with the test concentrations as reported, strongly indicates blood doping. Or it would if there was a recognized test for plasticizers.

Unfortunately no one is going to get done for plasticizers since this case has been publicised. They'll probably switch to jam jars instead, until the test for microscopic quantities of raspberry becomes available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement