Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac wifi connection problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Is the ubuntu machine yours or your flatmates?

Those are OpenDNS dns servers - but the router DHCP is setting itself as DNS server, so I'm guessing someone has overridden the default on the Ubuntu machine to use OpenDNS - is it also possible there's some firewall config on the router that only allows dns queries from a certain IP - clutching at straws here, but it's possible.

One other thing you could try is to force dig to use TCP (default is UDP): Maybe give one or more of the following a shot. The +tcp flag forces tcp. The three commands try quering the router, opendns, and googledns.

- barry

dig @192.168.1.1 +tcp google.com
    dig @208.67.222.222 +tcp google.com
    dig @8.8.8.8 +tcp google.com

BTW, the dig commands should work exactly the same on the ubuntu and mac terminals.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

The ubuntu is running on my IBM.

OKay I don't understand all of what you said exactly. My flatmate probably did change some of those settings for the router but I will need to ask him later.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

In the meantime, put these settings in network settings-->wireless-->advanced-->dns of the Mac and try surfing!.

Hmmm ok that worked perfectly fine. I could surf the net easily. But then I followed the steps and changed the DNS server back to its original setting and it failed again.

So should i just leave the DNS as the google DNS and all will be fine or is this just some sort of temporary fix/test?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

You can leave the google dns settings permanently with no issue.

The router seems to have some strange setup, either providing the wrong dns settings, or not allowing access from certain IP addresses. By putting in the google ones, you're just manually overriding what the router is providing.

Enjoy your new iMac.

- barry

Hey cheers guys for everything! I finally got it sorted, without the google DNS server. There was another server that my flatmate and I were using for our Ubuntu machines to get the internet to work faster after we had problems. THat worked for this too.

Thanks again! :)

Advertisement