Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to wind down before bedtime??

Options
  • 06-11-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to wind down before bedtime....I've been having alot of trouble getting a good night's sleep, both quallity and quantity!

I have alot on my mind and basically when I lie down I can't stop thinking about all of it...I have had a few sleeping tablets over the course of the week, but I know there not the answer or indeed a long term solution...

Any help or advice would be much appreciated...:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SkinnyGenes

I don't know really how to empty you mind of your thoughts, but to help you sleep you could try not to drink any caffine up to 2 hours before you go to bed, try and avoid going online or listening to loud music up to an hour before you go to bed. If you have alot on your mind try writing it down I find it helps, if you're worried try to think about somewhere you'd like to be like a secluded island or something I don't know

I hope this helps, it helped me get into a routine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i have the same problem sometimes. i find that it helps if i write stuff down on a notepad before going to bed so that i won't forget to look at it the next day... that way i don't have to lay there in bed thinking about it then!

also, i find it helps if i stop using the computer about an hour before bed and just veg watching a dvd or something - something lighthearted like a comedy or something!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Saw this Milk on the Telly tonight - Have a glass of it, apparently its great for sleep due to the high Melatonin content.

http://www.ardrahancheese.ie/lullaby.htm

from their site -

Ardrahn Lullaby is produced on the farm at Ardrahan.

This process is as follows at Ardrahan,

The cows are milked in our parlour in the morning before daylight. The milk is then piped through a plate cooler bringing the temperature down to 4 degrees.

It then flows through to the pasteuriser. It is pastuerised for 4 seconds at 73 degrees. It is then cooled to 4 degrees and bottlled.

It is kept in our cold room of 4 degrees. As it is a farmhouse produced milk it reaches the shop shelf much sooner than ordinary milk.

We test the milk regularly to ensure that we are always producing the highest quality milk that meets everyone's expectation.

It is created in the dark, as the animal sleeps, and has naturally higher levels of melatonin.

Melatonin is a natural substance found in all our bodies. The night time hours enhance the level of natural melatonin in the milk. It helps our bodies to regulate our sleep-wake cycles allowing our body clock to switch off naturally.

Ardrahan Lullaby Milk is pasteurised but not homogenised. Therefore, it retains all its natural goodness so shake well as the cream will settle on the top ot the bottle. Ardrahan Lullaby Milk can be enjoyed hot or cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

would recommend trying meditation, you can do it before going to bed and it will help clear your mind of the various preoccupations of the day.

if you haven't tried it before, a very easy introduction book is 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life, which teaches you the basics with just 8 minutes practice a day.

I do think it helps both getting off to sleep and having a more settled sleep. Definitely better than sleeping pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Get your mammy to tuck you in and read you a story ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

candy19 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to wind down before bedtime....I've been having alot of trouble getting a good night's sleep, both quallity and quantity!

I have alot on my mind and basically when I lie down I can't stop thinking about all of it...I have had a few sleeping tablets over the course of the week, but I know there not the answer or indeed a long term solution...

Any help or advice would be much appreciated...:)

make sure the room is a constant temperature.

wear loose clothing(better to wear none)

try have a bath/shower before bed.

NO :

music
    coffee
    smokes
    chocolate
    snacks/food.

Citrus fruits usually give vivid dreams.

think about your last "best day" or something that makes you smile inwardly...... got it???....... hold onto it till you fall asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listen to talk radio at a very low volume, just enough to hear it. Set on a timer for about 20-25 mins. I'll reckon you'll have drifted off before the radio shuts off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Just Relax, your whole body without trying to do so. Just relax like you were laying in a hot bath, Any tensions etc, just let them go completely, you don't need them.

Smile and relax to reduce the brains activity, close your eyes, and just relax more. Any thoughts etc which you think are important, just let them go if they are important you will be allowed give them time in the morning when you wake up.

As you become more used to being relaxed before you sleep, you will find it easier and easier to sleep, also the suggestion of melatonin is very good too :)

For quality sleep, it is good to have your spine straight, prefferably laying flat on your back. If you sleep on your side, tuck the quilt between your legs so your spine is kept as straight as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

If you think you're going to forget to do something, and think that writin gon a pad wont help, write it on a post-it and stick it to your bathroom mirror. that way, there's no way you can forget :)

i suffered from insomnia for a long time, i find that going to bed and worrying about anything just causes panic!
    so as I said, write it all down and put it somewhere you're guaranteed to see it in the morning.
    If you're worrying about someone, give them a call before bed. It will make you feel better and lessen the load on your mind. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

A good **** can help too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I usually put this on in the background and read a book for a while, reading seems to help me drift off to sleep really well for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

no i find a shower wakes me up before bed so i usuallly have one way before going.

get yourself a big dog and let them sleep on the couch with you for a while before you go to bed - you'd be amazed at how relaxing that is:) think its something about breathing in their feelgood pheromones or something as you pet it;)

i find also going for a walk earlier in the evening is great but not too late cos it will keep you wide awake

good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mtsachev

Watch a stupid TV series for 1h before going to bed. No news, no newspapers, etc. Nothing that needs your mind operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shebzy

a few drinks before bed and youl be asleep in no time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

1. Put fresh sheets on the bed (cant beat it)

2. As mentioned writing a to do list for the following day will help empty your mind of thoughts/worries about not forgetting to do tasks

3. Read a book in bed never ever fails to send me off to sleep

Advertisement