Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mittens & Movember!

Options
  • 06-11-2010 12:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good cause time!

Winter is coming fast, and it's time to start wrapping up! All across the country, Centra stores are selling pink mittens in aid of breast cancer awareness. They're only €5 per pair, they're super warm and pretty and they're for an amazing cause. All proceeds are going to Action Breast Cancer. Breast cancer awareness is really important to me - this time 6 years ago, my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer. My world crashed to a halt, but she was an absolute trooper. 6 months of chemotherapy, radiation therapy and a mastectomy later, she was up and running around again. Since then, she's toured around South America, climbed Machu Picchu, more or less camped around Africa, toured Australia, continued working just as hard as ever, and has put the healthiest of people to shame :). A couple of years ago I got a pink ribbon tattooed on my shoulder as a reminder of the importance of awareness. I am so grateful for all the research that has been done in breast cancer, because the lives of countless women have been saved due to it.

So over the next few weeks, make it your mission to buy a pair of these mittens. I'm sure everybody knows somebody who'd love them, and buying them is both doing a lovely thing for the recipient, and supporting an amazing cause. So put a smile of the face of your mother/sister/aunt/daughter/friend and buy them a pair of mittens :). I'm not sure how long more they'll be available for, so don't delay!

If nothing else, they're gorgeous!

72566_448213643875_7851693875_5530347_6628634_n.jpg

And while I have you, don't forget about Movember!

76571_10150089083857329_136442407328_7232392_6245247_n.jpg

From the website: "The Mo, slang for moustache, and November come together each year for Movember.

Movember challenges men to change their appearance and the face of men’s health by growing a moustache. The rules are simple, start Movember 1st clean-shaven and then grow a moustache for the entire month. The moustache becomes the ribbon for men’s health, the means by which awareness and funds are raised for cancers that affect men. Much like the commitment to run or walk for charity, the men of Movember commit to growing a moustache for 30 days. ... The funds raised through Movember’s Ireland campaign benefit Action Prostate Cancer a programme of The Irish Cancer Society.

The money raised as a result of Movember is channelled by our men’s health partner into a number of world class and innovative education, support, research and awareness initiatives." Dozens of your favourite male boardsies are growing epic moustaches this year in aid of it, and you can read about it over in Moards, board's dedicated Movember forum.

So go on, do your bit for cancer awareness and give a little back to the world :). It'll make you feel good inside, I promise!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Faith wrote: »
    And while I have you, don't forget about Movember!

76571_10150089083857329_136442407328_7232392_6245247_n.jpg

From the website: "The Mo, slang for moustache, and November come together each year for Movember.

Movember challenges men to change their appearance and the face of men’s health by growing a moustache. The rules are simple, start Movember 1st clean-shaven and then grow a moustache for the entire month. The moustache becomes the ribbon for men’s health, the means by which awareness and funds are raised for cancers that affect men. Much like the commitment to run or walk for charity, the men of Movember commit to growing a moustache for 30 days. ... The funds raised through Movember’s Ireland campaign benefit Action Prostate Cancer a programme of The Irish Cancer Society.

The money raised as a result of Movember is channelled by our men’s health partner into a number of world class and innovative education, support, research and awareness initiatives." Dozens of your favourite male boardsies are growing epic moustaches this year in aid of it, and you can read about it over in Moards, board's dedicated Movember forum.

So go on, do your bit for cancer awareness and give a little back to the world :). It'll make you feel good inside, I promise!

Ahem!

Pimps self
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68857063&postcount=2425

The link in the image in my Sig will bring you to my Mospace

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I looked at this thread title and knowing that Movember is about growing out your moustache I immediately wondered exactly what area of lady hair would you grow out to have mittens. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I already picked up the mittens while I was in Centra the other day. It's a pretty important cause hopefully more people will get them after this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Muffs > Mittens.

Awaits gentle temp ban. I will support the cause, though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm gonna get these for my best friend. She loves pink.

Such a good cause, as my own mum has had several battles with cancer but is constantly aware that she has to go for checkups and stuff.

One of my friends is growing his tasche for Movember for his dad who battled against prostate cancer...fair play to him, although he looks like an 80's footballer now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Tom Sellick has nothing on me and my winter lip warmer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Thanks for the plug Faith! :)

I was aiming for a Zappa-esque moustache but it looks more Freddy Mercury. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I know of a movement on facebook of women growing armpit hair for Movember! :)

I haven't seen a group or anything but I have seen some comments on peoples pages about it. Does anyone know more about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Oh, I didn't know about the mittens - thanks for posting Faith :) I'm making it my business to pick up a pair now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Shelli2 wrote: »
    I know of a movement on facebook of women growing armpit hair for Movember! :)

I haven't seen a group or anything but I have seen some comments on peoples pages about it. Does anyone know more about this?

I've heard about this; a few friends are doing it! Their ambition is to have the hair long enough at the end of the month to wax/style it into the shape of a moustache, take pics and then shave it away...the logistics are befuddling to me! But I wish them luck :)

A few others are squeamish at the thoughts of growing pit hair, so they've offered to not shave their legs for the month (and let's be honest, that kind of makes sense with the cold weather anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

jokettle wrote: »
    A few others are squeamish at the thoughts of growing pit hair, so they've offered to not shave their legs for the month (and let's be honest, that kind of makes sense with the cold weather anyway!)

I've been unwittingly taking part! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'll be supporting both...my Uncle has recently been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and is currently having chemo. It's particularly close to my heart this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

I think this thread deserves a bump as a reminder. :)

My brother is taking part in Movember this year so I'm sponsoring him and his friends.

It's a brilliant cause and I'm delighted to be able to help out in some way.

Buy some mittens ladies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I picked up a pair of the mittens but my niece found them in the car and now they live on her teddy bear!

Advertisement