Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So got stopped by the gardai today ................

Options
  • 05-11-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

As the title says I got stopped by the Gardai today whilst driving a work van. The van doesn't have any advertising on it and is a 10 reg transit. This is how the conversation went.

Garda: Can I see your Licence.

Me: No problem (handing Garda licence)

Garda: Why were you on the phone while driving ?

Me: No I wasn't

Garda: Are you calling me a liar ?

Me: :confused: what ? No I'm telling you I wasn't on the phone

Garda: Are you saying I'm seeing things ? I saw you with the phone up to your ear.

Me: I don't know what you saw but I wasn't on the phone.

Garda: (Looking into the van) Well then whats that in the passanger seat ?

Me: A phone.

Garda: So you were on the phone and put it down when you say me coming

Me: I have a car kit (pointing to the parrot) There would be no point with me having the phone up to my ear as the sound comes through the speakers and I speak into the mic (pointing to the mic above my head )

Garda: Right (Proceeds to walk around the van, first checking the tax and insurance were up to date and then checking all the tyres. Walks around again to the driver window throws in the licence and says "Go on" and walks away in disgust.

Is this just a revenue raising attempt ? Did he think I was a traveller and just giving me a hard time? Or just an di**head ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

CoalBucket wrote: »

Me: I have a car kit (pointing to the parrot) There would be no point with me having the phone up to my ear as the sound comes through the speakers and I speak into the mic (pointing to the mic above my head )

Dude...wait...what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

As the title says I got stopped by the Gardai today whilst driving a work van. The van doesn't have any advertising on it and is a 10 reg transit. This is how the conversation went.

Garda: Are you saying I'm seeing things ? I saw you with the phone up to your ear.

Garda: Right (Proceeds to walk around the van, first checking the tax and insurance were up to date and then checking all the tyres. Walks around again to the driver window throws in the licence and says "Go on" and walks away in disgust.

Is this just a revenue raising attempt ? Did he think I was a traveller and just giving me a hard time? Or just an di**head ?

He was looking for a reaction from you i.e. calling him a liar. You did the right thing and didn't fall for his bait. I don't know if you've any grounds for making a complaint against him, probably not I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

The majority of time, when i see a guy in a white transit van, they do have phones up to their ears. Maybe he just decided to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

It's a handsfree kit. It acts like a handsfree mic for your phone, sits on your visor. Sounds like the copper was acting the prick. Hate that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

its a type of car phone kit

Seriously, the garda sounds out of bounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭larry1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

State needs money real bad.........:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Strange. Similar happened to my mum in her car a week or two ago. Guard started shouting at her to get off the phone and she was never on it! She point blank refuses to use her phone when driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Pigs may lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

It was clearly just an attempt to get your number :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

So, were you on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Is this just a revenue raising attempt ?

Yea, sure it's a short quarter with Christmas comin! Targets to be met!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

00112984 wrote: »

No, I'm in sales so the phone is going all day hence the car kit. I'd be off the road over penalty points without it. It's getting fairly bad when they are trying to give you points for not being on the phone !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

00112984 wrote: »

What's that got to do with it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

A garda?

Being unreasonable and stupid?

Well I never........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

No, I'm in sales so the phone is going all day hence the car kit. I'd be off the road over penalty points without it. It's getting fairly bad when they are trying to give you points for not being on the phone !

Let me guess.... you sell phone car kits and this a clever marketing ruse to get people to buy more in case the Gardai pull you over for being on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

got stopped 3 weeks ago on a fri night by an unmarked garda car.
    3 of them got out and started giving me the ****e that I was on the phone - which I wasn't.
    Gave them the phone to check - which they refused - walked away saying I'd hear from them. Still waiting.

Seems odd the amount of people this is happening too.

So what are the pigs up to now? Have their arrest quotas been raised this month or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Wuz he a big culchie gard ?

• Advertisement

got stopped 3 weeks ago on a fri night by an unmarked garda car.
    3 of them got out and started giving me the ****e that I was on the phone - which I wasn't.
    Gave them the phone to check - which they refused - walked away saying I'd hear from them. Still waiting.

Seems odd the amount of people this is happening too.

Maybe they'll ring you when you are driving :)

Wuz he a big culchie gard ?

Is there any another kind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'd have gone straight into the the phone log on the phone and proved him wrong. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

galwayrush wrote: »
    State needs money real bad.........:rolleyes:

You'd swear we worked on commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

probably saw you scratching your head or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You should have said, "No, how could I possibly drive, **** & answer the phone at the same time?" in a Cork accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

There was a Garda crackdown a few weeks ago on vans that were being used privately without paying the higher rate of motor tax. Maybe they assumed that the van was being used privately because it didn't have any logos on it.

You should have said, "No, how could I possibly drive, **** & answer the phone at the same time?" in a Cork accent.

strangely I had taken some nurofen + earlier

Nothing like having a nice long prendeville while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

thats a disgrace but they get away with whatever they want, i haven't had it happen me yet though..

Advertisement