Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL's Top 100 Players of All Time

Options
  • 05-11-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

http://top100.nfl.com/?module=HP_cp2

It'd be interesting to hear people's views on the list, especially the guys who've been following the league for years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i think these lists are stupid personally. You cant compare across different decades, with different rules etc.

and then of course you get the stupid QB bias where 20% of the "top 100" are QB's and not a single one of them listed is a safety :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

My biggest issue with the show is that the guy transcoding the HD versions of the episodes stopped and the guy making the SD versions never stepped up to fill in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

D3PO wrote: »
    i think these lists are stupid personally. You cant compare across different decades, with different rules etc.

and then of course you get the stupid QB bias where 20% of the "top 100" are QB's and not a single one of them listed is a safety :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did Ronnie Lott not play safety as well as corner with the niners, small point I know! These lists are fairly pointless but seeing as the debate always goes on about players shows like these can be good viewing. The one thing I love about the NFL is that they have such a vast archieve of film that we can see footage from years ago and see how good players were of the 50s etc

Everyone does know this is based off an NFL Films series and if you're remotely interested it might be wiser to give it a look before you read the list.. right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Lott's reputation was made as a safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Rod Woodson while starting his career as a cornerback, also played at safety for several years

• Registered Users Posts: 37,769 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well just talking about my own time watching the game. I've no doubt in my mind that the best players I've seen are Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor. Ronnie Lott was an exceptional player too but I'd have him behind that group and the same goes for Walter Payton.

And Peyton Manning should not be in the top 10, this is a guy who threw away another superbowl last year. He constantly fails to do it in the big games. The only superbowl he has won is when they took the ball off him for most of the game and gave it to Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes.

Like how can he be in the top 10 and Tom Brady at 21? And even more ludicrous is Steve Young at 81.

But the two most startling things to me are Deion Sanders at 34 and Barry Sanders at 17. They are the two best football players I have ever seen in any position. Even Lawrence Taylor and Jerry Rice were not as dominant for me as those two in their positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    And Peyton Manning should not be in the top 10, this is a guy who threw away another superbowl last year. He constantly fails to do it in the big games. The only superbowl he has won is when they took the ball off him for most of the game and gave it to Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Eagle eye, there is no way to compare the 2 sanders with Jerry Rice, position for position.....:confused: Come on, JR was a legend, maybe slightly biased.....:D Must have a look back at Kings 'Monday Morning QB' to see his 'Top 100 list' and see how it compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Well just talking about my own time watching the game. I've no doubt in my mind that the best players I've seen are Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor. Ronnie Lott was an exceptional player too but I'd have him behind that group and the same goes for Walter Payton.

Like how can he be in the top 10 and Tom Brady at 21? And even more ludicrous is Steve Young at 81.

But the two most startling things to me are Deion Sanders at 34 and Barry Sanders at 17. They are the two best football players I have ever seen in any position. Even Lawrence Taylor and Jerry Rice were not as dominant for me as those two in their positions.

And Tom Brady threw away the SB in 2008, John Elway threw 3 SBs away...blah blah blah.

At the end of the day his peers and those who watch him closest voted him there. Enjoyed Ray Lewis's piece on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Love the fans ranking. Every "active" player's ranking is cut by about half.

People always take these lists in films, music, games, sport and whatever else way too seriously. It's a piece of entertainment, a talking piece. All the best lists are a jumping off point, not the final word.

themont85 wrote: »
    And Tom Brady threw away the SB in 2008, John Elway threw 3 SBs away...blah blah blah.

At the end of the day his peers and those who watch him closest voted him there. Enjoyed Ray Lewis's piece on him.
    Brady didn't throw an interception in that superbowl. In fact Brady has thrown 1 interception in 4 superbowls. And that was in the game where he broke the record for most completions in 2003/04 which still stands and many other records at the time too.

Even Manning's superbowl MVP award is a sham. He wasn't even the second or third best player on the field in that game. And the two main contenders for the award should have been Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai. And that in itself shows just how unimportant he was in that game when its one or the other of the two running backs that should have gotten that award.

Its just a freaking joke is what it is that he made the top 10.

Brady has the unbeaten regular season, Brady has 3 rings, Brady has the most touchdowns in a season.

Manning has yardage records which mean nothing. Favre has yardage records and he isn't in the same hemisphere as Brady.

BRADY FOR EARTH PRESIDENCY, BACKED BY BOARDS.IE AMERICAN FOOTBALL FORUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Syferus wrote: »
    BRADY FOR EARTH PRESIDENCY, BACKED BY BOARDS.IE AMERICAN FOOTBALL FORUM

I care less for how these players are ranked. For me it is impossible to compare players of different eras and put them on a level playing field. As for the Manning Brady debate who cares an argument done to death. Both are class in their own right. Why is it people get sucked into my d1ck is bigger than your d1ck polls. There are many Top 5 polls or top 10 polls or top 100 polls out there and they are all different. Oh and Syferus why is it you can't go at least one thread without posting one nonsense post. Dude your jokes aren't funny :rolleyes:

I care less for how these players are ranked. For me it is impossible to compare players of different eras and put them on a level playing field. As for the Manning Brady debate who cares an argument done to death. Both are class in their own right. Why is it people get sucked into my d1ck is bigger than your d1ck polls. There are many Top 5 polls or top 10 polls or top 100 polls out there and they are all different. Oh and Syferus why is it you can't go at least one thread without posting one nonsense post. Dude your jokes aren't funny :rolleyes:

To be fair, when I posted it I was pretty sure everyone besides you and Eagle Eye would get it!

This isn't a Brady vs Manning debate at all. Its a Brady, Young, Baugh are much greater than Peyton Manning debate. Its not about one of them being better, they were all better when it counted than him.

I'm sick and tired of all the undeserved awards and praise he has gotten. Like last year Drew Brees was the best QB in the league, Chris Johnson joined the very exclusive 2000 yard rushing club and Manning gets the MVP. Its just ridiculous. Its not the first time and it won't be the last that he gets an award that he doesn't deserve. As I mentioned earlier there was the Superbowl MVP award too which was just so wrong.
    Its like they just can't praise him enough when its plain for all to see that he plays worse on big days. How can a player who performs to a very average level in clutch moments be rated so high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭tommyboyle

If they arent the eagles to hell with them

To be fair, when I posted it I was pretty sure everyone besides you and Eagle Eye would get it!

No I got it but your jokes are terribly unfunny, fact when you make one this always comes to mind:

tumbleweed.jpg

This isn't a Brady vs Manning debate at all. Its a Brady, Young, Baugh are much greater than Peyton Manning debate. Its not about one of them being better, they were all better when it counted than him.

I'm sick and tired of all the undeserved awards and praise he has gotten. Like last year Drew Brees was the best QB in the league, Chris Johnson joined the very exclusive 2000 yard rushing club and Manning gets the MVP. Its just ridiculous. Its not the first time and it won't be the last that he gets an award that he doesn't deserve. As I mentioned earlier there was the Superbowl MVP award too which was just so wrong.
    Its like they just can't praise him enough when its plain for all to see that he plays worse on big days. How can a player who performs to a very average level in clutch moments be rated so high?

I have to disagree. Again I really don't care where either of them are ranked but Manning and Brady for me will join all the other Elite QBs on their sunny ranch in Canton Ohio. I think you are taking all of this way too personally. I bet you Brady cares less where he is ranked by some poll.

• Advertisement

No I got it but your jokes are terribly unfunny, fact when you make one this always comes to mind

Let me quote you, then: ':rolleyes:'

Let me quote you, then: ':rolleyes:'

Oh I see what you did there. But hey there is nothing wrong being that unfunny guy. Keep on telling them you may get a thanks or two and the odd chuckle :D

Oh I see what you did there. But hey there is nothing wrong being that unfunny guy. Keep on telling them you may get a thanks or two and the odd chuckle :D

Like when you say something about the Patriots, then?

Yup! I went there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'm glad Brady was 21. We all know he's unplayable when he has a chip on his shoulder, and if this spurs him on even more, then great. When Tom Terrific is kissing the Vince Lombardi Trophy this year as a result, I'm sure Peyton Manning can print off this list, laminate it, and go to town on it.

Like when you say something about the Patriots, then?

Yup! I went there! ;)

ohnoyoudidnt.jpg

Are you guys really this in to American football. I heard they are going to play more games there ever year

tommyboyle wrote: »
    Are you guys really this in to American football. I heard they are going to play more games there ever year

American Football is growing by the day here and the fanbase is large enough and the game is even played at an amateur level here in Ireland. And when you say "there" do you mean Ireland or the UK or Europe? If the NFL extend the NFL season I can see more games hitting the UK or some other Euro Country. But I just can't see it right now with the current format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

tommyboyle wrote: »

Nah, none of us particularly like it. We only watch it for the cheerleaders.

If they can make money, london will have an expansion team there within 5 years. How do you guys feel about using yards to measure the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Syferus is definitely funnier than tallaght anyway!

Advertisement