Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie Lyons Video Productions

• 04-11-2010 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi guys

I'd appreciate crit on my new site please!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

SEO???

Why is 90% of the text on the site inside images?

The text doesn't even seem to be a custom font.

I dont know if your the developer or just the owner of the site but it seem PLWD is doing this on most their sites:
    www.citypowerboatschool.com
    Key information is contained inside an image.

It baffles me that someone who has completed a 'Webmaster Professional Diploma' would be doing such things.

On another note the design is sound.
    There is a a bit too much white space above the footer on the about and contact us pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 silurian1980

SEO???

Why is 90% of the text on the site inside images?

The text doesn't even seem to be a custom font.

I dont know if your the developer or just the owner of the site but it seem PLWD is doing this on most their sites:
    www.citypowerboatschool.com
    Key information is contained inside an image.

It baffles me that someone who has completed a 'Webmaster Professional Diploma' would be doing such things.

On another note the design is sound.
    There is a a bit too much white space above the footer on the about and contact us pages.

Thanks Flashforward.

I think you're absolutely right. I deffo need to look at SEO and text. I do have a facination with typography (still learning!) and find it difficult to just use the standard Arial or Verdana. However, I do understand the need for H1 and H2 headers to be SEO friendly and I'll deffo look at replacing these with sIFR or something and the body image 'text' with proper text.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi Paddy,

I'd echo the above comments re: SEO.

I see that you're using Dreamweaver to code the sites out, and it is a powerful tool. However, I'd suggest that from the point of view of coding good SEO standards, you could try coding a couple of complete pages with no design. What I mean is go with zero CSS or images (just pure text and xHTML tags - handwrite the HTML in Notepad++ etc). Validate your code with the w3 validator. Then retrospectively add the CSS and image styling (and validate again).

I'm not saying this is a good development methodology for rapid site deployment, but it does instill good SEO (and CSS) practices from the ground up, especially when you're learning new things.

HTH,
    Alastair.

Advertisement