Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you go for Christmas Shopping?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Do you stay local, travel to the nearest decent shopping town/city or do you head up north?

I'm keeping it local in Galway but also hope to visit Ennis for the lovely boutique shops

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i head up north about a month beforehand to get "supplies" and outfits. besides saving a load of money, belfast city is absolutely stunning and worth spending a weekend in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Newry for a big food and drink shop and clothes and then the local Tescos and Aldi for more food.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Dont bother going to ennis they are over priced and closing down.

Limerick is fab. Sorry i hate shopping in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

I do a lot of it online. Also go to Galway or Dublin. As for food, we keep that local, local supermarket and another shop in town. No need to go anywhere else, except for a few nice bits in M&S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Dont bother going to ennis they are over priced and closing down.

Limerick is fab. Sorry i hate shopping in Galway.
    why do you hate shopping in galway?!

yeah the crescent in limerick is good but the town itself isn't great for shopping IMO

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

amazon,avon and Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I usually go up the north ,but we will see if it's good value when VAT in the uk goes up to 20% from 17.5% ,but this won't kick in until January so it won't affect me until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I do most of mine online. No ques,no screaming kids,it's great. I'll usually head into town on my day off a couple of weeks before xmas to get the xmas buzz on Henry st.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Locally for a large part, impulse buy type things, I'll go North if the ex rate is favourable for drinks, biccies etc. Anything I can plan for; concert tickets, blu rays etc I buy on ebay, amazon etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Won't go North on principal.

Try to keep it local between Navan, Drogheda and Ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We do ours in Cork City - don't move outside it! Do most of the shop in Dunnes but get bits in other stores too like Lidl, Aldi - the main supermarkets (i'm talking about the food side of it obv!). For some reason i love the atmosphere in our local Dunnes at Christmas - so warm and Christmassy!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm doing my utmost to keep it local too. A few shops have closed down in the village where I live, so I'm anxious to help keep them open and not have the place turn into a ghost-town.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Living in Tralee, I like to go to Cork or Limerick. I'd do a small bit here. There's no shortage of shops here, I just like the feel of Cork and Limerick at Christmastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alidxx

i do some online shopping for christmas like ebay and littlewoods. i think i will be goin to newry to do some shopping and maybe dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weatherguy

I will do mine in Dublin. I love Grafton Street at Christmas time when the lights are on and there is a real Christmas feel to the place. However, my budget this year is reduced considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alidxx

weatherguy wrote: »
    I will do mine in Dublin. I love Grafton Street at Christmas time when the lights are on and there is a real Christmas feel to the place. However, my budget this year is reduced considerably.

oh ye the atmosphere in dublin is always a real buzz..i love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Meeoow

2 euro shop boss, it's the finest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,315 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

a mix of online and Dublin city centre as i work there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Mix of online and then other shops where I know specifically what I'm looking for, or larger ones if I'm trying to browse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I work in Dublin so I shop in Dublin city centre. I have all my Christmas presents bought already though, so no more shopping for me for the time being. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Belfast heading up there end of the month:D

and do a bit down here in limerick to:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

Meeoow wrote: »
    2 euro shop boss, it's the finest

for all the family needs!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Keeping it local (Galway) too magentas. Looking forward to the Christmas market.

I get a few things online as well, usually from eBay and TheBookPeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm hoping to go up north next weekend but I used to live there so it will be a family visit/christmas present shop. If I have anything I don't have, I'll probably go online. Don't have to do the massive food shop as I'll be heading home to my parents.

Looking forward to the christmas buzz in Cork though, its always really nice and cheery. Even if the crowds are a bit manic

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

enniskilan, derry, or play.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Keeping it local (Galway) too magentas. Looking forward to the Christmas market.

I get a few things online as well, usually from eBay and TheBookPeople.
    I really think galway is going to be awesome this Christmas!

so looking forward to the Christmas market and I love that the city has a relaxed vibe when you're shopping, I prefer smaller local independant shops to the larger chains. There's a certain charm about them and you're supporting local which is so important (to me anyway)

I saw a cool sign in a shop window
    "Keep your business in town to keep your town in business!":)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

i love making a trip to dublin for a day out shopping before christmas.. i also found a lovely online site for childrens toys that i bought from last year.. littleones.ie.. id recommened it, it has nice wooden toys and different stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'll be doing most of it locally but I'm planning a trip to Dublin soon as I've a few vouchers for shops up there.

I might get clothes/trainers for my children on www.mandmdirect.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

all food locally, drinks at lidl, and presents i will shop around for bargains on christmas eve, and if i get none i can do the january sales, give shopping voucher so the sales will cary my money further

Advertisement