Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should journalists pay to use boards.ie?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I'm Susan McKay :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Is it necessary to use the .ie all the time? Kind of irks me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Is it necessary to use the .ie all the time? Kind of irks me.

irksme.ie

To be honest OP i dont know. Tell me though, whats your opinion on Jewish, gay, polish, heroine addicted immigrants who eat swans whilst considering the recession in Ireland?

You are such a journalist.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

tar.aldarion is a secret journalist for Playboy ;) he/she has got his/her own forum to spy on us :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Leave it out lads, Poor Alison! She's probably reading this and crying into her big, hair-dye stained pillow she paid €150 for back in 2008 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No, why should they have to? I don't think they should have to ask Boards for permission to use stuff posted here either.

They should have to ask for permission to use direct quotes I think, especially if they are gonna print the username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

gurramok wrote: »
    They're welcome to publish any of my wonderful insight posts into any national newspaper ;):D

Mine too! They're also welcome to read what I think of their so called journalism, not that it'll stop them churning out the vacous sh!te day in day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Leave it out lads, Poor Alison! She's probably reading this and crying into her big, hair-dye stained pillow she paid €150 for back in 2008 :(

That pillows only worth €20 now.

booo hooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

And folk from the print media wonder why they're on a sinking ship...

This thread isn't as misplaced as one might think, when you look at what Permatan Silvaspoon, Fungus Fanning, Moeghan Harris, and the rest of the Indo's leading lights inflict on us, and that's only one rag out of many.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    They're welcome to publish any of my wonderful insight posts into any national newspaper ;):D

And they do. Sincerest form of flattery being imitation and all that.

Especially in this country, where the upper echelons of "journalists*" number in the small dozens, they need to dip into a wider genepool of idead on a regular basis.

*upper echelons in terms of profile, not in skill or honesty

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can we give Alison access to Spell Czechs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They should have to ask for permission to use direct quotes I think, especially if they are gonna print the username.

Why though? When people cross-post stuff here from other sites they are unlikely to have asked permission beforehand. As far as I'm concerned, when something is posted online, esp on a medium like Boards then it should either be publically accesable to everyone or else I retain full rights of what I post, and the choice to remove it at any time. If they're blatantly 'stealing' the stuff posted then I'd have an issue with it but once they include references I don't see the problem.

...once they include references I don't see the problem.

And that's the general courtesy. Most websites insist on a link, either for reasons of reference, or to facilitate those who may not be able to view the original piece (where you get the link and the content).

Many journos do likewise, a la "RoundyMooney said on well known internet site cakeorpie.ie, that he loikes caek". They don't all do, of course, and it's these dishonest liftings of collective wit and wisdom that irk people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Actually now that I think about it something I said about ChatRoulette was used in the Sunday Mirror (or similar weekend red top) and they credited my username too.

Don't know what they quoted, someone else on here told me about it.

They never paid me either - the scallywags!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i love when you see something that isn't fact but made up here turn up in the papers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Should you pay a fee to someone you overhear on a bus if you're going to publish what you heard? What if that person was on a soapbox, speaking for anyone to hear? What if that person publishes it on a free public website for anyone to read?

The real issue: Anyone who gives ANY credence to what is said on an internet forum is an utter fool, and anyone who publishes such a thing under the veil of 'journalism' is a hack. Go do some real research if you want to be a real journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Actually now that I think about it something I said about ChatRoulette was used in the Sunday Mirror (or similar weekend red top) and they credited my username too.

Don't know what they quoted, someone else on here told me about it.

They never paid me either - the scallywags!

Quoi? Why do so many people think that journalists pay their interviewees? Unless you shagged a footballer (and Anonoboy, I ain't rulin' it out with you! :P) why would they?

That said, I think plagiarizing from Boards is crap journalism, but I wouldn't rule it out for getting some ideas going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Some newspaper used a few of the Thierry Henry Photocomp entries from Cool Vids from last year, can't remember if they gave credit to the posters who made them though, think maybe they might have just said they were on Boards.ie or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Boards and AH is noted worldwide and nationally for its thorough research, quality grammar, dedicated sources, reliance on facts, lack of cliches and unuse of tried and tested soundbite politics and ocassional disjointed right -wing views.

There is no way the casual Sindo journalist would dare adopt such practises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

No, but if they are going to use something they should double check facts and check with other sources.....same as they would if they found a story through any other medium.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    No, but if they are going to use something they should double check facts and check with other sources.....same as they would if they found a story through any other medium.

No wonder they are sh!te. Mediums are unreliable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's hard to tell whether some posters' grammar genuinely is that bad, or whether they're journalists trying to join the "in crowd". Some posts have me thinking "how is it possible for someone to finish school and go to university, yet be unable to speak in complete sentences? Must be an undercover journo." :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

And folk from the print media wonder why they're on a sinking ship...

This thread isn't as misplaced as one might think, when you look at what Permatan Silvaspoon, Fungus Fanning, Moeghan Harris, and the rest of the Indo's leading lights inflict on us, and that's only one rag out of many.

The sindo is the rag of rags

Advertisement