Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensing that a guy a guy is attracted to you

Options
  • 02-11-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Ladies!
    I was talking to a few of my girlfriends today about how some women seem to be able to sense when a guy is attracted to them, I guess in the same way when you can tell a guy is checking you out. Have you ever had that sense that a guy is attracted to you? Is it usually correct? Have you ever acted on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

Hi Ladies!
    I was talking to a few of my girlfriends today about how some women seem to be able to sense when a guy is attracted to them, I guess in the same way when you can tell a guy is checking you out. Have you ever had that sense that a guy is attracted to you? Is it usually correct? Have you ever acted on it?

Yeah Definately, I think a woman always knows, well I normally do anyway! I think it's just got to do with your intuition an gut feeling. They can definately sense it alot quicker than men do. It took me weeks to get with my other half, I could just sense that there was "something", after we kissed He turned round to me and said... " I never thought you liked me in that way!!" I couldn't have been any more obivious! I think I knew he liked me before even he did!!! :D

But even with other men I think you can always tell, whether it's my gut telling me or not I don't know! Maybe some are more in tune to it that others but I'm nearly always right, same as knowing when a guy is not into you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭La frog fairy

i do think we do have a gut feeling, or 6th sense, whatever you want to call it, however, I strongly believe there is a fine line between that feeling and wishful thinking.

For me now i tend to see by a guy's actions more than anything else, it then kind of confirms to me if im in lala land or if there is something.

Action speaks louder than words, so they say..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Women are better communicators and naturally listen for tone inflections and look at facial expressions and body language. A simple thing like pupil dilation, slight flush of cheeks or a touch/eye contact that lasts even a half second longer than normal is a dead giveaway (to majority of females anyways - you could wear a sign around your neck reading "I FANCY YOU!" and most lads wouldn't get the hint).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I knew there was something different about the way the two guys that I was with were looking at me but I'm the type to not believe something until it actually happens. I acted accordingly when one told me that he was practically in love with me and had been for a while and when the other kissed me ;)
    My eyes are now peeled for anything like that now because I'm on the rebound in a major way :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

I strongly believe there is a fine line between that feeling and wishful thinking.

+1

In fact, I am going through the confusion between "that feeling" and "wishful thinking" about someone just at the moment.

The thing about this is, IME, that the more I know someone and care about them as a person and not merely a "guy", the more convinced I will be the chemistry ("that feeling", "the atmosphere", "something"...) is all in my head - it's not just a matter of attraction any more, so this makes it more difficult to follow the gut feeling and act out of spontaneity.

While when it is more a matter of desire, things seem to be so much clearer, I can see exactly where things are heading (or not), and have no problem identifying "that feeling" and participating or initiating accordingly.

The difference between the two scenarios is, paradoxically, another type of "feeling". :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Some women claim to not notice if a guy is attracted to them or actively flirting with them. I'm not sure how though. It doesn't matter whether a guy tries to hide it or not, there are too many give aways. As previously mentioned, its the eyes and body language. It's kinda amusing when they don't realise they're doing it. Us sneaky wimmins :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The boner in their pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I'm really really bad at telling if someone has a thing for me, I'm worse than a guy!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm really really bad at telling if someone has a thing for me, I'm worse than a guy!

Me too. The amount of trouble I've gotten into cos of it too... Not good. Not not good.

seenitall wrote: »
    While when it is more a matter of desire, things seem to be so much clearer, I can see exactly where things are heading (or not), and have no problem identifying "that feeling" and participating or initiating accordingly.

The difference between the two scenarios is, paradoxically, another type of "feeling". :D

ahah and sometimes it get short circuit and you lose your direction:p
    for me, time to get new batteries cos my radar is out of order apparently..

i wasnt sure so just subtly mention getting drinks to a guy next time hes around here and just now got shot down gently:D, not badly, hes nice, but end result its no even tho its not said clearly.

didint die over, actually pretty proud of myself for having the guts to ask him, but the ego is bruised a bit;-)

Lesson is, if he was slithly interested it would have been yes or whatever so i still think whatever feelings we get to go for it, in my case it was clearly wishing thinking:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I used to always think I could sense when a guy liked me. The newest way is when the comment on your facebook a lot!

But none of them ever ask me out so I think I might be wrong in my thinkings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

I agree that we have a special intuition for this, some are just more tuned into it than others. Personally the biggest give away for me is when you catch him looking at you when he thinks you can't see him. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I often think "Ooh I think he likes me", but I never actually trust myself enough to believe it. Self-consciousness kicks in and I think "Don't be ridiculous!" and I dismiss my thoughts that he was interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

ahah and sometimes it get short circuit and you lose your direction:p
    for me, time to get new batteries cos my radar is out of order apparently..

i wasnt sure so just subtly mention getting drinks to a guy next time hes around here and just now got shot down gently:D, not badly, hes nice, but end result its no even tho its not said clearly.

didint die over, actually pretty proud of myself for having the guts to ask him, but the ego is bruised a bit;-)

Lesson is, if he was slithly interested it would have been yes or whatever so i still think whatever feelings we get to go for it, in my case it was clearly wishing thinking:o

You were right to make a move and right to be proud of yourself for doing it. Facing the possibility of rejection takes some courage. At least you know how things stand now, beats wondering for ages.

I'll take my inspiration from you... as soon as I gather the courage! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Faith wrote: »
    I often think "Ooh I think he likes me", but I never actually trust myself enough to believe it. Self-consciousness kicks in and I think "Don't be ridiculous!" and I dismiss my thoughts that he was interested.
    Im the same, except with women. Always takes a mate to say it to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ummm the fact were talking to you and not our friends..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The boner in their pants!

Nah...I always have a boner.

seenitall wrote: »
    You were right to make a move and right to be proud of yourself for doing it. Facing the possibility of rejection takes some courage. At least you know how things stand now, beats wondering for ages.

I'll take my inspiration from you... as soon as I gather the courage! :D

haha thanks hope it works for you better than me:D

Ironicaly he sent me another message saying he would let me know about the drinks next time hes around but now i have little faith in it, probably a nice way to let me down gently. See, after all this the feelings we get, or at least for me is mixed up!

What happened when you do the first move on a gut feeling or whatever and you are left more confused:confused: is it then still wishful thinking that "maybe" theres something or simply being in denial of the obvious
    Like a previous poster said, even when you spell it out loud to a guy they still dont get it, or do they? and just pretend they dont get it by ignoring it if they dont fancy you
    Ahh this is all so confusing sometimes. It was my first time going for it and ask and now i think it might be my last time:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

I think I always know too to be honest, I don't know HOW I know but maybe it is picking up on body language, tone etc subconsciously.

I think women are just good at that sort of thing. I think we are pretty good at using all those things to our advantage as well. Personally I think that the women who always get the man aren't the most attractive or intelligent or whatever, it's the ones who know how to hook them.

When I think back to the night I met my now OH, I came became the most interesting person in the room. I was animated, chatty, confident and it wasn't all directed at the oh either... had a group of guys fawning over me for most of the night. It wasn't even forced it was like a natural instinct took over. I became the second girl he ever brought home to meet the parents in less than a week :)

To put it in context I am usually very understated and happiest when sitting back observing the group rather than engaging in all the small talk.

I definitely think women have a little something when it comes to these things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

[interloping generalisation]

I'd agree that in general the ladies are better at this. Why? Well women's brains in general have more "white matter" in the frontal lobes and more connections therein, so are apparently better at picking up the little microgestures and the like in social situations. I've noted they're much better at this across the board, not just when it comes to attraction. They're much better at judging the "atmosphere" around them. You can have a bunch of people out of a night and the ladies may say "yer man's a bit creepy" and the guys are usually "wut? seems grand to us". Later on it often turns out the women were right.

IME while they're better at that, they're not as good at breaking it down into A+B=C type steps, that they could explain to a guy say. They just know like pollypocket10 describes (and you can't break it down into clear steps anyway. It's more fluid and organic than that). Men while worse at this stuff are better at being reductive about the bits they do pickup. If, of course they actually make the effort. Even then tend to get it only partly right.

Men tend to think in clear black and white steps. You see it a fair bit. A guy will ask other guys "well how do I know she's into me? What gestures will she make?" The replies will be along the lines of "oh if she touches her hair while pointing her shoulders at you and it's a crescent moon and she's wearing red... you're in" kinda thing. Almost a step by step, program that is running :) if-then-else-stuff. I think that's why the Pickup Artist stuff appeals to many men(who seek to understand stuff that throws them). They're tip top at the ABC details, but miss the whole. Wood for the trees syndrome.

Just subtly different approaches. That have advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage with the "ladies" way? If you rely on gut too much, you can often miss major red flags, because the gut signals are overpowering the other signals. Or like has been noted, you can get into wishful thinking(though guys are as bad or worse for that if she touches her hair while pointing her shoulders at you and it's a crescent moon and she's wearing red... :D). Disadvantage with the "Gentlemens" way? Too narrow a focus. Often misses the whole picture. EG guy I know, his GF's uncle died. Now the uncle was disliked by the family and his GF's ma. She got upset with him because he just couldnt see why she was upset. I mean she hated the uncle so as far as he was concerned it was cut and dried. He missed the fact that she was upset for her mother for losing her brother. Rookie mistake.

IMHO while we all lie along a curve between what may be considered "male" or "female" approaches, if you're too much one way or the other, it can be good to try the other way to get more balance. And it's very doable. So I dn't quite buy the brain differences thing, even if they're measurable. It's as much a learned behaviour I reckon. I tend to be very reductive(no shít sherlock :o:p:D), but only in text as it were. In RL I have learned to run much more on my "gut". Take in the whole picture. Look at the wood first then start working out the tree species. Takes practice, but now? Well on this topic I'd be pretty close to 95%* sure when a woman is interested in me(or anyone else). I'm better at understanding what is actually upsetting or exciting people too**. Way more than most of my male mates anyway.

[/interloping generalisation]

*me being reductive again :pac:

** contrary to what I hear a lot of men say that "women are hard to read", I have found men are harder to fathom a lot of the time. And I am one. So I do sympathise when I hear a woman say "what the hell is he thinking?".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

This is one area where I reckon the perceived gap between men and women is not as big as the reality. In my experience, the edge would slightly favour women, but not by much. A few women have incorrectly assumed I was attracted to women I was just being friendly too. It can take a little sometimes for people to think something's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Hi Ladies!

I used to never act on it, I always thought I was stupid or imagining it! But one time I really thought I sensed something between me and a guy my friend had introduced me to. After I had quizzed my friend on him :p I decided to add him on fb and see what happened. We exchanged numbers and I asked him to go for coffee (I was sooo nervous about just asking him lol).

Eight months later and we're still together :) He told me later that he had liked me straight away when we first met, so I'm glad I went with my instinct and acted on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

ummm the fact were talking to you and not our friends..
    Add to that, the fact he's never really spoken much to you before and the fact that he's telling you that he broke up with his girlfriend....
    cue; kissing time :cool:

I love that moment when I realise a guy has the hots for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If I play it cool, ya I can tell if a guy is attracted to me and sense it moreso when chatting to him and how well we click. If he asks for my number or asks things about me whether he is asking me or asking my friends then ya I guess I do sense a guy is attracted to me but obviously I won't really know a 100% unless he makes a move or makes some kind of signal to me! I need a bit of direction and become oblivious sometimes. Likely need to be given some kind of signal or an actual sign on his head to state he is attracted to me! The dance floor is a good indicator for me how attracted he is too me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I'm trying to suss if my housemate fancies me :P

So far unsuccesful attempts ha

tips please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Earthhorse wrote: »
    This is one area where I reckon the perceived gap between men and women is not as big as the reality. In my experience, the edge would slightly favour women, but not by much. A few women have incorrectly assumed I was attracted to women I was just being friendly too. It can take a little sometimes for people to think something's going on.

Tbh, I think men and women are the exact same in their ability to perceive if someone likes them/their friend et el. What I think people sometimes think of as "perception" is instead just the differences between men and women in terms of showing signs of lust.

Men are remarkably obvious, while women are a lot more discrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I dont agree.... I think more men over estimate any conversation you have with them. If you giggle or move your hair they often come to the conclusion that you are coming on to them cos they read 'the signs' in GQ magazine 6 months ago. Women are much better at sussing it out but only if they have the confidence to believe they are attractive to men....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

Misticles wrote: »
    I'm trying to suss if my housemate fancies me :P

So far unsuccesful attempts ha

tips please :D
    Stop trying?

An ex housemate fancied me, tried it on (despite my polite signals that I wasn't interested) and it finally freaked me out so much I moved out. I loved living there up to that point. Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Mackleton wrote: »
    I agree that we have a special intuition for this, some are just more tuned into it than others. Personally the biggest give away for me is when you catch him looking at you when he thinks you can't see him. :p

This works in reverse too though right? Cause if it does....I'm IN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

elleburp wrote: »
    Add to that, the fact he's never really spoken much to you before and the fact that he's telling you that he broke up with his girlfriend....
    cue; kissing time :cool:

I love that moment when I realise a guy has the hots for me

Ive never mentioned to a girl an xgf i dont there no point for silly things like that :)

Advertisement