Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG filling station - help

Options
  • 01-11-2010 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

I brought my LPG car from Italy and I'm checking a filling station in Dublin. Unfortunately, the Castle Service Station in Kilmore Rd don't do it more…
    Before going to Donabate, maybe someone who know can confirm me please if it' in sevice.
    I'm using LPG cars from '98 and I'll continue till I can. In the continent the LPG prices are the half of petrol. Honestly, I can't understand why not reach people are still running with petrol!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi Nikolaus, I've moved your post to a new thread as the one you posted in originally was quite an old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd telephone garages before travelling, there's little or none supplying it for cars anymore in this country.

The listed one below closed down about 5 years ago...

http://www.ilpga.ie/autogas-outlets.php#Dublin

DUBLIN

Blakes Service Station

Blakes Cross
    Sutton
    01 8437346

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

There is no advantage in Ireland unfortunately

LPG is about the same price as diesel.

Short sited Gov I'm afraid.

Can you get somewhere that fills Gas bottles to do it?
    I think there maybe a place in Rathcoole that fills bottles.

Should be the same process as filling a gas bottle in a car as the ones for the BBQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nikolaus

Thanks for the advices!
    I got one in Newbridge : J. H. Mcloughlin & Company, Ltd Ballymany, Droichead Nua, Co. Kildare,​ tel- 045 431281.
    Unfortunately the price is 1,19€. In Italy and in France is around 0,65€.
    I will continue to check and let you know. I think in this hard times can be a good solution for many people. But also for the environment: my car emit 118g/km co2 with petrol and 0,02g/km with LPG.

Salutes ​

• Registered Users Posts: 33 l_aga

Nikolaus wrote: »
    Thanks for the advices!
    I got one in Newbridge : J. H. Mcloughlin & Company, Ltd Ballymany, Droichead Nua, Co. Kildare,​ tel- 045 431281.
    Unfortunately the price is 1,19€. In Italy and in France is around 0,65€.
    I will continue to check and let you know. I think in this hard times can be a good solution for many people. But also for the environment: my car emit 118g/km co2 with petrol and 0,02g/km with LPG.

Salutes ​

There will be LPG station soon in Kilcullen near M9 with a price €0.69/L :)
    They are going to install lpg conversion kits in vehicles too:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I don't know how up todate this is but here goes

http://www.ilpga.ie/autogas-outlets.php

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nikolaus wrote: »
    my car emit 118g/km co2 with petrol and 0,02g/km with LPG.
    I very much doubt that.:)

LK_Dave wrote: »
    I don't know how up todate this is but here goes

http://www.ilpga.ie/autogas-outlets.php

It is not up-to-date as far as I know, but in case I am wrong about that I know that the ones which offer LPG are selling it at a price so high that it is not worth converting a car to LPG.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I very much doubt that.:)

I have to disappoint you as it might be true. For example if you convert your diesel car in LPG you are gaining more power, moreover your diesel burns the diesel better so the emission of pollution is less and you save a little on usage of diesel too.

l_aga wrote: »
    I have to disappoint you as it might be true. For example if you convert your diesel car in LPG you are gaining more power, moreover your diesel burns the diesel better so the emission of pollution is less and you save a little on usage of diesel too.
    FFS, use your head! LPG may well produce less CO2 than petrol, but to even entertain the idea that an LPG-powered car could produce only 0.02g/km is just ridiculous. A quick google would have told you that LPG emits around 80% of the CO2 per kWh produced by oil.

• Advertisement

FFS, use your head! LPG may well produce less CO2 than petrol, but to even entertain the idea that an LPG-powered car could produce only 0.02g/km is just ridiculous. A quick google would have told you that LPG emits around 80% of the CO2 per kWh produced by oil.

OK you are right, the difference will not be so huge but anyway doing LPG conversion is still worth and cost-effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

+1 Alan,

Interesting techy doc here http://www.epa.gov/ttnchie1/ap42/ch01/final/c01s05.pdf
    Carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), and nitrous oxide (N2O) missions are all produced during LPG combustion. Nearly all of the fuel carbon (99.5 percent) in LPG is converted to CO2 during the combustion process. This conversion is relatively independent of firing onfiguration. Although theformation of CO acts to reduce CO2 emissions, the amount of CO produced is insignificant compared to the amount of CO2 produced. The majority of the 0.5 percent of fuel carbon not converted to CO2
    is due to incomplete combustion in the fuel stream

There is a reduction in CO and HC emissions

And I FYP:
    my car emit 118g/km co2 with petrol and 0,02g/km with LPG a 200m2 solar panel on the roof
    :D

OK you are right, the difference will not be so huge but anyway doing LPG conversion is still worth and cost-effective.
    Not here, it's not. I imported an LPG car a few years back, and there was only one remaining place in Dublin to refill - I had the kit removed. It's all down to taxation - LPG flourishes when it's given special tax breaks relative to petrol & diesel - when the tax advantages are removed, it disappears.

Not here, it's not. I imported an LPG car a few years back, and there was only one remaining place in Dublin to refill - I had the kit removed. It's all down to taxation - LPG flourishes when it's given special tax breaks relative to petrol & diesel - when the tax advantages are removed, it disappears.

With the price 0.69/L when you know you can save about 35% on petrol costs isn't it worth again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There will be LPG station soon in Kilcullen near M9 with a price €0.69/L :)
    They are going to install lpg conversion kits in vehicles too:)

Where did you get that info?
    Any link or sth?

With the price 0.69/L when you know you can save about 35% on petrol costs isn't it worth again?
    Again, I can't see how this is possible without a tax break. Do you have a link?

The website is under construction. But I know this from the first hand as I know the poeple who gonna run it. I will let you know when it is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Im afraid, diesel cars wont be converted in LPG car, as gas need ignition to explode, and ignition is only in petrol cars. diesel cars have no sparkplug, just glow plugs, which only heat up burning chamber before diesel cold start.

Mar4ix wrote: »

Im afraid, diesel cars wont be converted in LPG car, as gas need ignition to explode, and ignition is only in petrol cars. diesel cars have no sparkplug, just glow plugs, which only heat up burning chamber before diesel cold start.
    So my car will be the first diesel with lpg in ireland. Im 1000% sure u can convert diesel to LPG. Google it..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Im 1000% sure u can convert diesel to LPG. Google it..

Convert a diesel engine to LPG and I am 100% sure it will take you 1000 years before you've made back the money on cheap fuel :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

So my car will be the first diesel with lpg in ireland. Im 1000% sure u can convert diesel to LPG. Google it..

You can do it, BUT, you need to modify the engine head to include a sparkplug, This can be placed in the glowplug site then you have to sort out an ignition system AND you need to drop the compression from around 16:1 to 10:1,!

Major major headache and not that ecomical.

Wait, found a good site for it: http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

well, probably it is possible ... making holes in engine head.... where is around 24 atmospheres pressure (petrols have 8-14), also run another ecu unit , and add some sensors, which read timing and sets timing for sparkplugs plus ignition coil. hmmm ....
    i am not engineer, but i wouldnt say, it would worth at all do such job on diesel engine, in my native country(Latvia), good 30 % of all cars drives on gas, and never saw any diesel with lpg.....
    well , if there any, id like to see... just out of curiosity.

mullingar wrote: »
    You can do it, BUT, you need to modify the engine head to include a sparkplug, This can be placed in the glowplug site then you have to sort out an ignition system AND you need to drop the compression from around 16:1 to 10:1,!

thanks for link,i had such idea in my head, but didnt thought it is possible. Any way, that work on engine would cost way more, than youd save on gas. also that site states, that that car wont be anymore diesel again, but advantage of petrol cars, you may choose whatever fuel drive, one day on petrol, other on gas. but i am afraid after diesel engine conversion, you wont anymore drive it on diesel.

unkel wrote: »

Convert a diesel engine to LPG and I am 100% sure it will take you 1000 years before you've made back the money on cheap fuel :p
    Well it depends on how much mileage you do. U dont buy diesel to go for rolls on Sunday only but when u drive a lot.. Anyway u make 10% savings plus about 35 more horse power plus u r more environmental friendly.

Well it depends on how much mileage you do. U dont buy diesel to go for rolls on Sunday only but when u drive a lot.. Anyway u make 10% savings plus about 35 more horse power plus u r more environmental friendly.

If you do, just let us now, would love go over, and have look on it, also labour bill for converting diesel engine in to gas engine.

forgot mention, im afraid roadtax wont be lower, if i am not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I'm guessing that he's talking about combined diesel/LPG system. Basically just a smallish volume of LPG metered into the air intake of any diesel vehicle.

also forgot say, as gas burning temp is higher than petrol, there is some issues with that, a specially small engines, usually recommendations gas conversion worth do on engines from 1.8 or 2 litre , i dont know exactly what the problem there were. Any way , i wouldn't do this. i think Renault selling cars with already factory integrated gas+ petrol system (saw one couple years ago on Polish reg numbers). Not sure they offering such option in Ireland.

U dont need to make any holes in engine. All what you need is just a mixture of gas 20% and diesel 80% thats it. You should all update on that. The technology is progressing very fast in this field. I have just confirmed that you make even more that 10% saving.

U dont need to make any holes in engine. All what you need is just a mixture of gas 20% and diesel 80% thats it. You should all update on that. The technology is progressing very fast in this field. I have just confirmed that you make even more that 10% saving.

Ok, thats interesting, id love to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Mar4ix wrote: »
    also forgot say, as gas burning temp is higher than petrol, there is some issues with that, a specially small engines, usually recommendations gas conversion worth do on engines from 1.8 or 2 litre , i dont know exactly what the problem there were.

Never heard of it.
    I had cinquecento 900cc converted to LPG and it was running no problems.
    Engine definitely wasn't heating excessively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement