Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat + SaorView ? (or alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

paddy19 wrote: »
    Wondering about:

Receiver: Dreambox DM800
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + optional USB DVB-T.

Has anybody got any information on this option and how well or badly it works?

I started a thread in the 'Foreign Satellite' forum looking for feedback, but got a limited response. You might try bumping the thread or looking at the UK forums:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055943353

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Sam,

Thanks for the reply.

STB's are as far as I can go €'s wise so super duper Panasonic TV's are not a runner but I agree with you re Humax, they seem to be the quality option to go with from what I can see.

If you got clear signals from the centre of Bray there's a very good chance I'll do the same from 160m above sea level in Stillorgan with a clear view of the coast.

Question is how can I determine that without the right type of ariel and a freeview STB??

Ben

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

BenEadir wrote: »
    Sam,

Question is how can I determine that without the right type of ariel and a freeview STB??

Ben

You cannot. It is a question of suck it and see. What you can do is get a wideband, such as a log periodic and try that with a borrowed box or use any DTT TV even if it is MPEG 2 as that will get Freeview. Check the tuning signal strength, and pick the best. Check the direction on Google Maps for each transmitter. Look for local landmarks and use those to point. Tip the aerial back a little. Try the three in turn, and then try after dark. One should work. Unless you are lucky, you will not have 100% service, but most times you should be OK. Fog and other weather condition will prevent reception.

NI ones are too low power at the minute.

When you have tried the chosen Tx, then select an appropriate aerial. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

If you got clear signals from the centre of Bray there's a very good chance I'll do the same from 160m above sea level in Stillorgan with a clear view of the coast.

Ben

If your current tv has a dvb-t tuner regardless of whether it mpeg2 or mpeg4 it will be sufficient to see of you can receive UK Freeview with a suitably positioned and amplified aerial. If that works for you then you can worry about a Freeview HD box.

I doubt the signal will be stable though for the very reasons outlined by Sam.

Sam and STB,

Are either of you aware of anyone in south Dublin, particularly in the elevated areas looking East to Wales (Mount Merrion, Stillorgan, Kilmacud, Sandyford, Stepaside etc) who ARE getting a reliable Freeview service? I'm not interested in investing in a system which will only work in perfect or near perfect weather conditions but if others are getting a strong signal 24x7x365 in the general areas I've outlined above then I'll give it a go myself.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It can be done with a good mast, decent quad array of 18 element aerials etc.. Much easier, better & cheaper to have "Freesat HD" satellite for UK TV like rest of Ireland.

Hi Watty,

I actually have Freesat HD installed but I'd like a single box which will give me the combined UK and Irish FTA channels with 7 day EPG etc my understanding (from what I've been able to read) is that the Freeview option is the only way to achieve this.

Am I missing something?

I'm at 160m elevation with a clear view over the coast so perhaps a mast wouldn't be necessary? Are the Aerials really that expensive? What sort of ballpark are we talking about?

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi Watty,

I actually have Freesat HD installed but I'd like a single box which will give me the combined UK and Irish FTA channels with 7 day EPG etc my understanding (from what I've been able to read) is that the Freeview option is the only way to achieve this.

Am I missing something?

If it is an absolute must for you A HTPC or some of the more expensive LINUX based DTT/SAT combo receivers can achieve the combined EPG goal. Neither are cheap options, HTPC are more expensive to run and not for the technically challenged to set up, components have to be selected carefully so noise is not an issue.

That said my HTPC has replaced all my boxes under my TV, Blu Ray players etc and it's as quiet as a SKY HD box. Also you can customise the EPG to you liking and remove channels you'd never watch. I've posted some screen grabs here

These are not ideal options, people looking for a combine EPG will find it harder to do better. I don't think a DTT/SAT combo designed for the masses providing a combine 7 day EPG is ever going to come along.

Admittedly a FreeviewHD receiver with both Freeview and Saorview signal would be much better and cheaper option. You might get a better response/more info from people in your locality if you opened a specific thread in the terrestrial forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

tronman wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in Swords in Dublin - would a Humax box allow me to receive Saorview + Freeview?
    If you go and try for Freeview from Wales, try a main transmitter from there as it will have all of the stations available then. I am renting a house in your area and may move in a few months so I would be interested in seeing if it is possible for us both to receive freeview so please let me know how you get on. I'd assume that you would need a huge aerial up high above the chimney or gable end of the house and a 40db gain masthead amp. The FTE Maximal M1000 is the best one on the market. I have tested quite a few. You may also need WF125 satellite cable, WF100 or similar to reduce interference and cable losses. :) The Humax boxes are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

FREETV wrote: »
    . . . You may also need WF125 satellite cable, WF100 or similar to reduce interference and cable losses. . .

. . . and stop your 40db amp. from radiating and ruining other peoples' tv reception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Brayfella

I have read all those threads and I am still not quite sure if it is possible to get a reliable Freeview HD signal via an aerial (from Wales) in Bray. (somebody mentioned they got Arfon and Llanddona transmitters from the centre of Bray) but was that a reliable signal able to receive Freeview HD? I am living higher up in Bray with an unobstructed view over the sea - is it worth trying this ?
    Who knows an installer that would do that? (offer test equipment etc? I have a receiver)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I tried last March and got signals from BF and Llandonna. I did not pursue it further for various reasons, but am about to try again. The first task is to ascertain which transmitter gives the best signal. Then get the best aerial and mount it at the heighest you can get it.

The benefit of Freeview is that it can be distributed around the house easily, using old cable if you have it installed. Satellite requires new cables.

I will post results.

Hi Sam,

I really look forward to seeing the results!!

Ben

I would also be very interested in seeing if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I would love to be in a position to try to get Welsh Freeview in Swords but as I am renting a house I cannot at the moment unfortunately and stuck with FTA satellite and Saorview. There are at least about five other decent channels not available on satellite. Would anyone be interested or willing to try to receive reception from Llanddona in the Swords area? There are lots of houses everywhere with tv aerials pointed for Divis, Kilkeel and Three Rock transmitters. :)

Llanddona transmitter group - Public Service Broadcaster (PSB) Multiplexes
    Site Name: Llanddona
    NGR: SH582810
    BBC A: Ch 57, ERP 20kW
    D3&4: Ch60, ERP 20kW
    BBC B: Ch 53, ERP 20kW
    Aerial Group: E/WH

more details in attachment (if it is any use to anybody)

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php

type in the Grid reference of the transmitter (NGR in the attached PDF) and it gives you a coverage on Google maps - (you are looking for the yellow area)
    does not look good for Bray from Llanddona group (just on the fringes) looks much better further West.
    Does also not look good for Swords - but try yourself.
    For further down south (Arklow Wicklow) Preseli looks good -

Still worth a try?

Brayfella,

I can't get that to work at all. I've inserted the Llanddona NGR (SH582810) into the map but it doesn't display a coverage area that I can see.

On your map how does Stillorgan and Sandyford look???

Ben

strange that this does not work for you
    try this (shows all transmitters and you have to pick the one you are looking for)http://www.ukfree.tv/maps.php

choose the region (Wales) from the menu below the map.

I have attached a screenshot -

Hi Brayfella,

Thanks for spoon feeding me!!

Looks like there isn't any Freeview coverage in the Stepaside/Stillorgan area (or Bray!!) which I don't understand as they are closer to Wales than Ropundwood. I guess it's to do with elevation?

Ben

• Advertisement

Hi Brayfella,

Looks like there isn't any Freeview coverage in the Stepaside/Stillorgan area (or Bray!!) which I don't understand as they are closer to Wales than Ropundwood. I guess it's to do with elevation?

Ben
    I would say you are spot on - and I suppose a 160 m mast is out of the question... :D
    I have heard on the grapevine that somebody in Windgates (between Bray and Greystones up towards Bray Head) tried it with no luck.

I would say that those coverage areas are probably a bit on the pessimistic side but in order to have a reliable service I would say you have to be very close to a yellow area.
    Having said that - I am still going to try :cool: (if I find somebody with an antenna willing to travel...)

Google Maps tells me my house is at an elevation of 157m so feck it, I'm going to see if I can get a decent enough signal to install Freeview.

Ben

I had no luck at all - will wait for Saorsat for a combined Freesat, Soarsat solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Hi Brayfella,

Ben

Does anything work in Bray, cant get decent broadband 2 meg max, cant get UPC HD/broadband/phone either and now cant get freeview :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

What are the challenges of setting up a Freeview relay/deflector on the Dublin montains?

Remember the old deflectors of the 1980's. Would this work with Freeview? Should be easier right as there are very few channels involved?

Maybe there is an old one up there someone can switch on :)

1) You need a licence.
    2) It's harder to do right.
    3) The current Deflectors have to shut shortly.

Satellite dish makes more sense for UK TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

watty wrote: »
    1) You need a licence.

Thought as much, I could anyway go up to the Dublin mountains with a coat hanger and start deflecting :)

The reason I dont like Freesat is that very few TV's have built in Freesat receivers (and the TV I want does not). I dont want an STB and two remotes to loose. I want a TV and only a TV that gives me the channels.

Unfortunately nobody in Dublin seems to be able to get a Freeview signal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

watty wrote: »
    1) You need a licence.

I see Freesat want €180 on top of their satellite dish for the Irish channels. The aerial they install will also do for digital. Maybe this is the best solution.

To replace UPC recorder
    http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Freesat_HD-R_package&ActinicSID=7fe5064d596258d6d5ef6fc9cfbdaa06

+ Add for Irish TV
    http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Aerials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Freesat are not an aerial installer, or a satellite installer.
    They provide epg slots on Astra 2 satellite for broadcast companies.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine why that domain was allowed to anyone other than Freesat

Advertisement