Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Souper Soup Thread [Merged]

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Chorizo is against my diet man as is cream. You're killing me here.

(I am totally making this and soon)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Pepper and tomato soup is not much to look at but tasty and a good lunch with some brown bread. More of the same today!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not going to post every recipe (Give em a Google) but this is every recipe I have saved in my "soup" folder.

Have made pretty much all of them and all good. Bad ones got deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Did the garlic broth turn out well? @The Nal

I think I might use chicken stock, the recipe seems very minimal...

I think I did it once when they missus was sick and used stock yeah. Likely added some chili, paprika, maybe some seseme seeds on top.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've been making lots of minestone type soup so far. This week's has courgette, carrot, onion and a small bit of potato, and a base with just a tin of tomatoes & stock. For pasta I use orzo or whatever small shape I have in the press, and have also used giant cous cous as well in the past! It's just semolina so works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Anyone got a recipe for a good ham soup? I'll take any combinations as well as Pea & Ham or Ham & Lentil. Am getting to the bottom of the freezer in anticipation of 5 lambs and 2 pigs going into it shortly. Have 4 ham hocks left and made a gorgeous terrine out of them before, but think I'll try a soup with two of these. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My pea and ham soup is just the cooking water from ham and a packet of frozen peas, blitzed up,sometimes with bits of ham.

(I'll usually put an onion, carrot, stick of celery, a bay leaf and spirig of thyme in with the ham)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Microwave Veg Soup...

Chop 1 carrot sweet potato large onion and celery stick .Microwave for 10 minutes with butter salt pepper , stirring halfway

Cook 6 mushrooms in butter for 10 minutes

Add water ,knorr chicken stock cube, parsley, cumin and ginger to microwave dish. Microwave for another 10 minutes .

Pour microwave dish contents into pot, add cooked mushrooms and some tinned sweetcorn

Blend and mix in cream

• Advertisement

Nice. I wonder if frozen veggies might do for a late night quick soup!

(I must buy some cream and freeze it, it's not a thing I would usually have at hand).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Well that was 7.5/10 today

The sweetcorn was a new addition

I might check it some frozen peas or chorizo instead for comparison

I know I used the tinned black beans before in a similar recipe

Sweetcorn is a nice addition in blended soups for texture and sweetness, I love it.

Black beans are my favourite.

I may not even need cream with the corn or beans...? Perhaps a potato or a dash of milk...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fionamcc

Old recipe from my family is a ham soup with potatoes.

I have a soup pot I use, big enough to boil a couple of lobster in. So get a big pot to start with.

1 onion, diced

3 carrots, diced

2 celery stalks, diced

6-8 potatoes, peeled and quartered

2-3 ham hocks (depends on how much flavor you want)

stick of butter

4 cloves of garlic, minced

few sprigs of thyme

pinch of dill

240 ml heavy cream

960ml chicken or vegetable broth

salt and pepper to taste

Put the butter in the bottom of the pot on medium heat and melt. Add the onions, celery and garlic and fry until onions are translucent. Add the hocks, thyme, dill and broth and cook over med/low heat for 3 hours. Add the potatoes and carrots and let cook until potatoes are fork tender. Remove the hocks, take a masher and mash the vegetables in the pot. You'll have some chunks, but you don't want it completely pureed. Take the meat off the bones and chop and add it back to the soup. Add in pinch of dill and remove the stems of the of thyme. Add the cream, heat through, salt and pepper to taste and serve with some good hunks of bread to dip in. I like sprinkling with a little parmesan cheese, but don't tell my grandmother.

Spicy lentil soup from the freezer. Might have gone overboard on the garnish, I admit.

I'm making this Chicken and corn soup. I used Del Monte creamed corn, but added some very unauthentic fish sauce for umami.

I can never get the hang of the egg drop technique *; the beaten egg just dissolves into the soup :/ still tasty though, if not photogenic enough to post a photo.

• Any pointers on the egg drop? Was my soup not hot enough perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No experience of it but my first thought, as reading it was that the soup isn't hot enough or the stream isn't thin enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I usually thicken the soup with potato starch after bringing it to the boil. When it’s nice and thick drop in the beaten egg and leave it for a few seconds. The thickness of the soup should create the ribbons of egg you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ditto, but I usually sweat off a potato and small onion before adding the peas and stock.

Roasted pepper and tomato soup. Forgot to put basil into it while cooking, muppet. Still pretty tasty, hard to go wrong with a tomato soup to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Made this one from Donal Skehan the other day - delicious and I think better than the one I usually make from Jamie Oliver, but that one is leek and potato rather than just vegetable.

Cream of broccoli, cauliflower and pea soup. Not as green as I'd have liked, but then I hadn't as many peas to add after cooking/before blending as I'd have liked. Plus, cream I suppose.

Advertisement