Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People of different ethnicities & Religion to play Intercounty Hurling or Football?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Surprised to see that wee Jayo hasn't been mentioned.

No surprise at all these days playing a game around Dublin to see a few lads whose stock doesn't look like it originated in Gortahork or Gurranabraher!

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.

Schlingermann is as Irish as the next man((bar one of his parents being German). I don't really think it counts if your born and raised here(and have a irish parent)

I taught it would be more the foreigners who weren't born here or at least have both parents from a different background?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

But even if one of his parents deciding to bring him to GAA practice/matches etc, despite not being Irish, is a part of what the OP and the rest of us are talking about imo.

Gingy wrote: »
    Surprised to see that wee Jayo hasn't been mentioned.

No surprise at all these days playing a game around Dublin to see a few lads whose stock doesn't look like it originated in Gortahork or Gurranabraher!

Where does Jayo's roots lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Where does Jayo's roots lie?

I understand that his biologigal father was from China(I think it may have been Hong Kong?), His mother was Irish. They met here but the Father left when Jason was young. His mother met a man called Sherlock and they were married.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I notice at the local U6/U8 hurling training:
    Two Polish young lads.
    A Chinese (local Chinese restaurant)
    An Indian (Guess Where!)
    All mad for the small ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In North American GAA the ladies teams tend to have a good spattering of non Irish players.
    It would not be uncommon to see a number of Arfican, Lation, and Asian Americans playing for the ladies teams

The same is true in the Asian GAA region.

The mens teams on the other hand seem to be 90% Irish born, there may be a few Irish Amricans playing junior but that is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Club has started in prague over the last few years, and several of the players are Czech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Should have put this with my last post, but since the OP mentioned religion, I beleive Peter Whitenall who won All-Ireland with Down in 1991 was protestant. I know that numerous protestants have played intercounty in Southern counties, but one from the North had much more positive implications for our Organisation than our new Muslim or Hindu members, welcome as they also are.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

paul71 wrote: »
    Should have put this with my last post, but since the OP mentioned religion, I beleive Peter Whitenall who won All-Ireland with Down in 1991 was protestant. I know that numerous protestants have played intercounty in Southern counties, but one from the North had much more positive implications for our Organisation than our new Muslim or Hindu members, welcome as they also are.

Yeah Peter Withnell is a protestant, think he played soccer with Dundalk for a couple of years. Jack Boothman former president of the GAA is also a protestant.

As has been mentioned, there's been a few lads on Dublin minor/21 panels over the last couple of years, Sweetman and Siwali from Erin's Isle, Ted Furman from Ballymun and Craig Dias and possibly his brother from Crokes. All fine footballers.

I played with and against Fran Usenga growing up, he was an absolute nightmare to mark due to his strength. Very nice guy as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement