Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire fuel

Options
  • 29-10-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Any good deals at the moment? Not looking to buy too much but some briquettes and wood perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If coal will work there's place just on the corner at the Harbour Hotel.
    I got some there last year and at the time it was the cheapest I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

biko wrote: »
    If coal will work there's place just on the corner at the Harbour Hotel.
    I got some there last year and at the time it was the cheapest I could find.

If that's the filling station you're talking about, I noticed that they sell their briquettes shrink wrapped. Very handy because they're usually so bloody dirty to transport anywhere.

Nah mate, I meant this place but hey shrink wrapped, that's a very good idea. Might get some and try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There's a bord na móna depot in Kiltullagh, the far side of Athenry which sell loose briquettes. You drive in with a van or trailer and fill yourself. They weigh you before & after and you pay by weight. Any of the lads who sell loose briquettes in a bag door to door in Galway, buy them here.
    Only useful if you have a shed, but a lot cheaper than buying in bales from shops or Donnellys/BnaM by the docks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

have you tried Dunnes - they are usually cheaper on the briquettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

McDonaghs in Ballybane are doing a great deal at the moment, 10 bales of Board Na Mona briquttes for 32.50 or non Board Na Mona for 30 Euros go for the genuine ones they are far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Do McDonagh's deliver? Or will I have to get my OH off his tush?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭03046290

There's a great deal out in the garage in ballybrit on the dual carriage
    3 briquettes (all bord na mona)
    1 bag of coal
    1 bag of log
    for €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lovelace77

Yeah i've seen those shrink wrapped briquettes. Good idea. No more mess in the car. Have anyone burnt them? Are they as good as Board Na Mona. Any one knows any good deals on wood briquettes. I find they are much better in a stove - more heat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Suzieranafast

We have an open fire but in the last few years I find the Polish coal for sale here to be of a very poor quality. It has a dull flame and leaves huge lumps of stones as cinders!mad.gif
    We brought a few bags of Texan coal from NI lately (great heat/flame and low ash)...what a difference... but unfortunately they don't deliver down here. We live in Galway. Any suggestions what we might do? confused.gif Thanks. Suzie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 starship

i find the polish coal kinda crap too! i been using the eco glow coal lately. its a little more expensive ( maybe 2euro per 40kg bag)but last longer and way warmer. try a bag:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Suzieranafast

Thanks for that, would certainly try it. Where do you get the eco glow coal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Polish coal is for closed fires, ranges stoves etc. You really dont want to use it for an open fire, a good texan is really the best though it seems to be hard to find these days as it's mostly smokeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Suza

I have some bags of Ash Firewood for sale if you are interested. E5.50 euro for a coalbag full. PM me if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

03046290 wrote: »
    There's a great deal out in the garage in ballybrit on the dual carriage
    3 briquettes (all bord na mona)
    1 bag of coal
    1 bag of log
    for €25

Not sure that's a great deal TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Saw that the small convenience shop in castlelawn heights, Mullans, is doing a bag of split logs for €6 today and picked one up(30 second walk from me! :P) The bag isn't quite as big as what I'd consider to be a normal turf or coal bag, about 1/2 - 2/3 of that size, but I thought it was a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

This is the newest thread I could find

Are the same deals available today for briquettes/coal/logs. Looking for fuel for an open fire

Turf has run out but I found that it didn't give the best heat, had to keep it topped up too often and left a ton of ash

Bought briquettes in a shop at Carnmore Cross this morning for €3.30. Seemed decent value

Recent one here that have evolved from coal into all fuels
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81375608

There's now several threads on winter fuels in various forms so I'm closing this one from 2010.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement