Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

amiable wrote: »
    Bord na Mona peat briquettes are inferior quality?
    That's quite a damning statement in my opinion.
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    I was referring to the coal, sorry.

Last time I bought coal in the Texaco, it wasn't BnM coal. Could have changed
    I have no facts on this, only what i've been told.... But i've been told that the products here are of inferior quality.

Take of what what you will

It seems in your first post you were referring to more than coal.
    As for the coal I found it to be excellent myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It seems in your first post you were referring to more than coal.
    As for the coal I found it to be excellent myself.

Edited!

From personal experience I didn't find the coal to be great, hence when I started asking around I got the speculation as mentioned above.

Things could have changed.

One thing that really p1sses me off about that Texaco is that there are no bins, and no gloves/tissues to use to keep your hands clean. I've stopped going there purely for this, total penny pinching

Edited!

From personal experience I didn't find the coal to be great, hence when I started asking around I got the speculation as mentioned above.

Things could have changed.

One thing that really p1sses me off about that Texaco is that there are no bins, and no gloves/tissues to use to keep your hands clean. I've stopped going there purely for this, total penny pinching

So you have a gripe with the place. Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So you have a gripe with the place. Ok

Yes, they're cheapskates! This opinion compounded by the fact that I wasn't happy with their coal, and when I went to ask someone who'd know a little more about it, they happened to mention that they were using inferior quality coal to other suppliers round the city, which is perfectly possible.

Jeez stop defending the place so much when all I mentioned was fact. Easy now tiger or you'll be accused of having a connection with the place.

PS. If you do have a connection, tell the tight-wads to start providing some bins and gloves/tissues like the rest of the stations in the city

Now go out for some fresh air, bet you could do with it!

Yes, they're cheapskates! This opinion compounded by the fact that I wasn't happy with their coal, and when I went to ask someone who'd know a little more about it, they happened to mention that they were using inferior quality coal to other suppliers round the city, which is perfectly possible.

Jeez stop defending the place so much when all I mentioned was fact. Easy now tiger or you'll be accused of having a connection with the place.

PS. If you do have a connection, tell the tight-wads to start providing some bins and gloves/tissues like the rest of the stations in the city

Now go out for some fresh air, bet you could do with it!

The irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok everyone chill.

John, please don't post hearsay. I don't care how good your source is, if it's not written in a newspaper/other reliable source you shouldn't post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

if we can get back on track. does anyone know of the cheapest (with hopefully some quality) deals going on coal/briquettes? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Anyone know where you can get the special stove coal in town?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Down near the docks there, opposite the texaco/ harbour should sort you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

muskyj wrote: »
    if we can get back on track. does anyone know of the cheapest (with hopefully some quality) deals going on coal/briquettes? thanks.

Yes, please! I've moved into an apartment since last year, it has a fire and it's mighty but nowhere to store coal and the likes so the cheaper the individual bail of briquettes or bag of logs the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

paulgalway wrote: »

Would there be much of a price difference between the garages and the home deliveries?

For small deliveries it's no difference - it around 1 euro per litre...
    The difference is that for home delivery you can't get 20 euro worth.
    But if you want to spend over 150 than you're better off getting it delivered.
    I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

whats that called?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Got oil from Corrib Oil last week. Boiler wouldn't fire, turned out there was water in the tank (I just moved into house). A fella from Corrib Oil came out next evening drained all the water, no extra charge, really sound about the whole thing, think he just stopped off on his way home.

Price was average, but customer service is excellent.

Higgins in Shantalla doing 10 bales of briquettes for €33.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

muskyj wrote: »
    Higgins in Shantalla doing 10 bales of briquettes for €33.

Do they deliver for free? I imagine 10 bales would fairly weigh down the car.

Red Pepper wrote: »

It sounds obvious but it would depend on the car.
    I would say don't be afraid to negotiate with local shops:)

Red Pepper wrote: »

it's collection only but i'd say if you ask if the delivery truck is passing your house they would help you out.

Clybaun Stores this evening want €10.65 for a 20kg bag of Coal and €4.55 for a bale of briquettes.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he was robbing you.
    Needless to say I turned down their generosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Saw that McDonogh's in Ballybane Ind Est are doing 2 x 40kg bags of smokeless coal for €30.

But don't rely on them answering the phones, 3 days last week I tried them and not one answer all week.

(And yes I have the correct number).

B&Q selling 3x20Kg bags of Coal for €25 or €9.95 per 20Kg bag

Briquettes are 2 Bales for €7.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Not sure about giving out mobile numbers, but last week in the Advertiser under the FUEL section there is an ad for coal, ad is in it again this week, you cannot miss it as it is the longest one. I got 5 bags of smokeless for 13.50euro a bag , a 40kg bag. Which I thought wa pretty good, they also delivered. Two guys seemed sound to me, coal was good stuff, great heat. All snug as a bug in a rug.

Anthracite, is what is used in a stove usually, very high heat out put, but not for open fire places.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Ecobrite should be best for stoves. Donnelly's down the docks@ €16/40kg

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Texaco Moycullen selling 10x 40kg for 140€ or €14 each. and they deliver.

cheapest iv seen so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

friendface wrote: »
    Looks like the rules have also changed this year to incorporate a ban on burning of smoky fuel within the designated ares: See below:
    Aw I miss the days when the sky was yellow.

Anyway I had a quarter ton of coal robbed out of my back garden yesterday by <snip>, so remember to slice your bags, that's a horizontal slice along the bottom of the bag so when they try to lift it, it goes everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Ecobrite should be best for stoves. Donnelly's down the docks@ €16/40kg

Got a couple of bags of ecobrite last week, it's ****e imo

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Evening all,

Got 6 bales BnM briquettes at the shop beside the pub @ carnmore cross on saturday......... good price IMO.

Paid €19.20 so €3.20 each...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,354 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

islanderre wrote: »
    Evening all,

Got 6 bales BnM briquettes at the shop beside the pub @ carnmore cross on saturday......... good price IMO.

And the price was????

• Registered Users Posts: 45,354 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That time of the year again.

Has anyone any promo codes for heating oil companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

just checked Corrib Oil online there and 500L is €500. Anyone know where can get better price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Corrib was offering 400euro 400litres yesterday. By far the cheapest out of the following companies we rang. FYI, the website price was worse, so just ring them. Delivered same day.

For 400euro;
    Citybin oil; 394litres
    Claddagh oil; 370l
    Sweeney oil; 347l

Advertisement