Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Tips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Nicklaus wrote: »
    But just one tip? I concentrate on my knees throughout the entire swing. I try to keep them level all the time - it helps me to stay balanced and to 'stay down'.:)

Good lord, that would totally eff me up, the last thing I need to be thinking about is my knees when so much is happening :):)

For me, that would be like the classic bustle, you ask your partner if they breathe when they are swinging. Try it some time, it can cause havoc:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    played a round with a fella there sunday (never met before - spare spot on timesheet) and for every single shot he stood behind the ball then just went up and hit it. No practice swing or anything, even when putting, and he had a great score at the end of the day. He was playing of 13.

I dont have a practice swing on any shots bar the odd half hearted swish before a bunker shot.

I always putt and chip better if I just see it and then do it.
    Actually I do take some practice swings on the first tee, but they are more of a warm up than a pre-shot routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Only playing for a couple of years and don't have a proper handicap. I had my first lesson a fortnight ago. First thing we worked on was my 'cack handed' grip which probably doesn't affect most people but he also gave me a few tips on stance:

Feet at 11 and 1 o'clock;
    Left leg slightly left of the ball when using woods
    but ball should be in centre of body for irons;
    slightly bend the knees;
    tuck in tummy and lean into the ball;
    Follow through twirling (for want of a better word) on the leading leg.

I smacked a few balls down the range and it went OK but the first round on the course was brutal but I put that down to the grip not feeling natural. Spent another hour on the range a few days later then went out on a work social event expecting the worst but played the most consistent round of golf in my 2 years of playing. I've no idea how my swing and other things are because he didn't want to bamboozle me on the first lesson but I definitely found those few tips very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oh fairway where art thou?

when I started out, my head was up like crazy. People used to tell me 'keep the head down' - but it made no odds, it still came up....until someone told me 'see the club head strike the ball'.

a subtle difference no doubt, but it changed my mindset and ultimately my swing, for the better.

hopefully it does for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

charlieIRL wrote: »
    played a round with a fella there sunday (never met before - spare spot on timesheet) and for every single shot he stood behind the ball then just went up and hit it. No practice swing or anything, even when putting, and he had a great score at the end of the day. He was playing of 13.

Only time I take a practice swing is on the short game (50yds in and putting) or when the ball is in a bad lie/deep rough.
    For whatever reason if I practice swing on my driver my actual shot is rubbish, I just pick a spot stand up there and hit it. How many people do you see have a lovely looking practice swing but dont transfer it to their actual shot - well that was my logic behind it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Hi All, was wondering if any of you have tips on how to avoid overswinging on the backswing. I was really surprised recently when I saw a clip of myself doing what I thought was a normal full backswing, but I ended up with the club way...way past horizontal a la John Daly.
    So, how do you know when to stop turning?

d2ww wrote: »
    Hi All, was wondering if any of you have tips on how to avoid overswinging on the backswing. I was really surprised recently when I saw a clip of myself doing what I thought was a normal full backswing, but I ended up with the club way...way past horizontal a la John Daly.
    So, how do you know when to stop turning?

You are most likely collapsing your arm to swing back this far, try to stop swinging when you can no longer keep your (left) arm straight-ish.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You are most likely collapsing your arm to swing back this far, try to stop swinging when you can no longer keep your (left) arm straight-ish.

Surprisingly, I do manage to keep the left arm straight(ish) but the thing is, if you let your hips turn freely after the initial shoulder turn, apart from your right knee straightening it can be hard to the difference between a good full turn and an overswing.
    I suppose what I'm asking is, Do better players think on the backswing:
    a) hands to point X.
    b) left arm to angle Y
    c) left shoulder to 11-12o'clock
    d) right hip
    e) right knee stays flexed
    f) all or none of the above

d2ww wrote: »
    Surprisingly, I do manage to keep the left arm straight(ish) but the thing is, if you let your hips turn freely after the initial shoulder turn, apart from your right knee straightening it can be hard to the difference between a good full turn and an overswing.
    I suppose what I'm asking is, Do better players think on the backswing:
    a) hands to point X.
    b) left arm to angle Y
    c) left shoulder to 11-12o'clock
    d) right hip
    e) right knee stays flexed
    f) all or none of the above
    If your left arm is straight-ish then you must have a flying right elbow to get the club much further than horizontal. You should only have about 2-3 inches of daylight between right elbow and your side. You cant really overswing without doing one of these moves.

As for a-e, when practicing I think often think left knee bent to avoid getting stuck on my back foot but other than that its none of the above when playing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Davkie

was wondering if any of you have tips on how to avoid overswinging on the backswing

Two things to check
    1. Are you bending you right arm more than 90 degrees at the top of the backswing anything beyond that will cause issue's
    2. Are you overcocking your wrists , you will see a angle between the back of the left wrist and forearm at the top if so. Try to get it relatively flat.
    Both Daly and Couples have these traits.

For the backswing end position a general guide would be hips 45 shoulders 90 degrees ,when the shoulders stop turning the hands/arms should stop moving back also , any runoff is an overswing and will cause timing issues on the way down.

The usual caveat of not seeing your swing etc.......

• Advertisement

Thanks davkie, I hadn't thought about excessive bending in the right elbow. I will have to dusk off the camcorder and get down to the range, weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

find a wall or fence, something of that nature about hip height:
    From behind the wall, setup as best as possible with your hips against the wall, and try a full backswing without moving/turning your hips away from this wall. if your left arm is straight, right arm does not 'chickenwing' you will find a tremendous pressure to get a full swing. this is the windup the pros talk about.
    so then if you can replicate this feeling on the course, it will work wonders.:P
    edit:actually anything from above the knees to chest height works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

whizbang wrote: »
    find a wall or fence, something of that nature about hip height:
    From behind the wall, ....

With the wall behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

works both ways, generally with the wall in front of you. altho with a solid wall its best if its chest height. Try a chair first.
    Its not a miracle cure, you cant work it in real golf, but if it helps... :D

Advertisement