Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls secondary schools in Limerick city

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

Salesians was about 6th. My wife had been to school there and felt at the open night that very little had changed in the 20 years since she had left.
    I think there are 3 divisions of school in Limerick - the top division where after right of entry kids are catered for only about 10% of the remainder of applicants get a place, the middle division where pretty much all those who put the school down as No 1 get a place but mostly full after round 1 and the remainder that very few pick as first choice.
    It is a terrible way to decide on childrens' education if it was done fairly but the system is open to abuse and rife with rumours that you need to have the right contacts to get the school you want. This may not be the case but the way the system works is that the form goes to the school that is first choice and they pick who they want from their applications. Any excess are then sent back to the central office for allocation to the schools that were not filled in the first round. It is way too easy for interference to take place when some schools are vastly over-subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'm not sure if your criteria list takes account of the so called "streaming" systems that are out there?

- I can provide a brief guide....

The top stream enters first year and meet with the Schools best, most astute and dedicated Teachers who bring out the best in every Pupil, they cover the Syllabus expertly in record time and then spend the balance debating life's mysteries in Latin and playing spirited games of Chess - This practice continues until the Students sit the Leaving Cert. and go on to pursue careers as Surgeons and Actuaries.

The lowest stream enters first year and meets with the Schools burned out Teachers who are just days away from their next nervous breakdown. They spend their days failing to control their Classes and popping depression medication. While the Students throw punches, stab each other with the contents of their mathematical tin boxes and head butt each other. In the absence of an 'education' these Students leave after 6th year with approximately the same level of knowledge they arrived with, minus the average amount you'd naturally expect to forget in a 6 year period.

Plato had nothing on an Irish Secondary Schools streaming ideologies.......

-For the record I wasn't in a, so-called, top or bottom stream - But I did get to see the system failing People in so many respects for a lot longer than I'd care to remember and most certainly no Child of mine will ever have to suffer such a ridiculously imbalanced, inefficient, flawed, self-defeating, callous and hopeless system of educational woe.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

lizoreilly wrote: »
    Scoil Carmel is a school on the up. There is a very positive atmosphere there and many dynamic changes. Come and see for yourself. I suggest you make an appointment and call to see the school in session. My daughters were very happy there and achieved very highly

I have to say I was very impressed with Scoil Carmel on Open Night. I felt it was one of the best organised of the open nights I've attended. The Principal came across as a very no-nonsense lady, one who runs a tight ship and I like that.

db wrote: »
    Salesians was about 6th. My wife had been to school there and felt at the open night that very little had changed in the 20 years since she had left.
    I think there are 3 divisions of school in Limerick - the top division where after right of entry kids are catered for only about 10% of the remainder of applicants get a place, the middle division where pretty much all those who put the school down as No 1 get a place but mostly full after round 1 and the remainder that very few pick as first choice.
    It is a terrible way to decide on childrens' education if it was done fairly but the system is open to abuse and rife with rumours that you need to have the right contacts to get the school you want. This may not be the case but the way the system works is that the form goes to the school that is first choice and they pick who they want from their applications. Any excess are then sent back to the central office for allocation to the schools that were not filled in the first round. It is way too easy for interference to take place when some schools are vastly over-subscribed.

Your post is very depressing to read. I was certainly hoping if we didn't get our first choice we would get our 2nd. If we only get 6th choice that rules out any all-girls school which is what my daughter really wants.
    Thank you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

If you are interested in Scoil Carmel as you say above, you should make an appointment to see the principal and learn about the school in more detail. If it was a choice between there and Laurel Hill, I would definitely pick Scoil Carmel. As I said above we had a good second choice already confirmed so we did not have the same level of worry that city based parents have.
    Laurel Hill only took in 90 first years last year instead of the usual 120 so it may be a little easier this year to get in. Again, meet the principal and find out the exact details of their enrollment this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 winniewonka

I have a daughter transferring to secondary school, I did not go to school in Limerick so I am completely new to this game. We did the rounds of the Open Nights etc etc. Must say I was really impressed with Scoil Carmel. It seemed to have an energy of its own. I too like the no nonsense approach i sensed there. I get the impression that there is little tolerance of messing etc. I am seriously considering it and my daughter was very taken by it.

I have a daughter transferring to secondary school, I did not go to school in Limerick so I am completely new to this game. We did the rounds of the Open Nights etc etc. Must say I was really impressed with Scoil Carmel. It seemed to have an energy of its own. I too like the no nonsense approach i sensed there. I get the impression that there is little tolerance of messing etc. I am seriously considering it and my daughter was very taken by it.

What are they like to work for Winnie?

- Does anyone know whether its the case that if Schools don't meet certain attendance quotas then temporary or permanent Staff might get let go?

Mary Jane my 'Mom' showed me your post and asked if it was written in the Staff Room there!!!

|
    |
    |
    |
    V

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

scaring off the young ones... nice going raiser :mad:

Sold!!!!

I'm going to take all of my 9 Daughters out of various Secondary Schools around Limerick and Enroll them in Da Mount if ye will just stop the ridiculous propaganda campaign......

- Can't wait to see the next made up post:

NANNA2010: My Granddaughter was a Harlot until She went to Scoil Carmel, now she is in a Convent and is in the top 10 of the Euro Nun League.

You should come to our open night and judge for yourself!!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

OP, does your daughter favour the Mount, maybe because her friends are choosing to go there? If so I think she worked out that you asked for opinions on here and she and her friends have all signed up convince you about what a great school it is.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

FrankB2010 and mary_jane perma-banned from the Limerick City Forum for being the same person. LOL.

iguana wrote: »
    OP, does your daughter favour the Mount, maybe because her friends are choosing to go there? If so I think she worked out that you asked for opinions on here and she and her friends have all signed up convince you about what a great school it is.:)

The "Mount" I'm assuming is some kind of nickname for Scoil Carmel? Our nearest secondary schools are co-ed and out in the country and that is where my daughter's friends will go to school. We/She knows no one attending or intending to go to the girls schools in Limerick.
    So you think that those who have said good things here about Scoil Carmel are not genuine?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Taceom wrote: »
    So you think that those who have said good things here about Scoil Carmel are not genuine?

We had four brand new posters sign on to boards especially to say how great this one school is, the odds of that happening are slim. The moderators checked it and at least two of the posters were posting from the same place; mary_jane and FrankB2010. Seeing as how mary_jane claimed to be recently graduated while Frank claims to be going through the secondary selection process for the first time, so they clearly are not father and daughter. At least one story is fictional, probably both.

So if people are making fake log-ins to promote the school you have to wonder why. Who would gain from it. Sure the school might want to promote itself but to be honest I doubt staff are on here promoting the school, they aren't a small business looking for a bit of free advertising. If it is her first choice but not yours the person who has the most to gain from you being impressed with Scoil Carmel (yes the Mount) is your daughter.

I hadn't thought of Iguanas angle re. the Kids plotting!!! But (S)he may well be right.......

- I did notice that some of the posts were all 'come' have a look, and seemed to have been written from an Insiders perspective despite pretending they were Pupils/Parents themselves.

I missed those posts from Mary Jane and Frank. But I take your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 winniewonka

I think that all that matters is if your son or daughter feels safe, is happy and gets a chance to develop his/her potential.

At the end of the day we all have to decide what suits our own children best.

I am talking to other parents and children in the secondary schools I have in mind as the proof of the pudding is in the eating but at the end of the day each family has to call it as they see it for themselves.

Do your research and don't let so called high 'voluntary contributions' put you off. You cannot be excluded/refused due to inability to pay...

Check out enrolment policies and websites etc and do request to visit the schools you have in mind.

Good luck with the process

Keep your options open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jjg

i finished in scoil carmel in 2007. I got a good leaving cert and went on to study in ucc, where i'm in my final year now. My class in college has people who went to comp, colaiste and laurel hill english school.i know people who went to all the secondary schools in limerick...

i'd have to say if i could have my time back i'd go to the comp definitely..followed by castletroy.. i wouldn't like colaiste, a lot of the colaiste girls i know can be a bit snobby but i'm sure there are loads of nice girls there,just not a few i know.. scoil carmel was a great laugh, i loved it there, but i'd say its getting worse by the year..there are always some nice girls there but definitely not the best academically, and sports teams etc aren't great..there are a lot of good teachers there though.. i'd go with the english laurel hill though if you were only choosing from an all girls school in limerick

jjg wrote: »
    i finished in scoil carmel in 2007. I got a good leaving cert and went on to study in ucc, where i'm in my final year now. My class in college has people who went to comp, colaiste and laurel hill english school.i know people who went to all the secondary schools in limerick...

i'd have to say if i could have my time back i'd go to the comp definitely..followed by castletroy.. i wouldn't like colaiste, a lot of the colaiste girls i know can be a bit snobby but i'm sure there are loads of nice girls there,just not a few i know.. scoil carmel was a great laugh, i loved it there, but i'd say its getting worse by the year..there are always some nice girls there but definitely not the best academically, and sports teams etc aren't great..there are a lot of good teachers there though.. i'd go with the english laurel hill though if you were only choosing from an all girls school in limerick

Thank you very much for that, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

iguana wrote: »
    Is actually a very good school and regularly produces the some of the best results in the country.
    - Presentation College BTW.

These are the College entries for the last few years: http://www.schooldays.ie/sch/presentation-secondary-school-rollnumber-64250J/reports
    This year looks alright on ratio but the last few years weren't so good if you wanted to go to college.

And while I'm at it

Scoil Carmel: http://www.schooldays.ie/sch/scoil-carmel-rollnumber-64300V/reports (those Sit LC / Go to college numbers are bad)

Laurel Hill: http://www.schooldays.ie/sch/laurel-hill-col%C3%A1iste-fcj-rollnumber-64270P/reports

As was said before, best to go with what your Daughter wants as she is the one who will be there for the 6 years, and if she goes to the one you want she may throw that back in your face when she feels like it.
    Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

My sister was going to go to Laurel Hill a couple of years back but they insisted on a yearly "donation" which my parents could not afford so beware of systems in place in some schools to prevent certain sections of the community from attending.
    On a better note Castletroy College has a great rep for a mixed school

Presentation anyone???? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement