Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Super Street Fighter IV Trials Thread! *Seek help or give advice*

Options
  • 27-10-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I just thought of making this thread to help those struggling with trials (Like myself :p).

I only have a few trials left, off the top of my head

Ibuki 24
    C.Viper 24
    A few Honda trials
    A few Chun Li trials
    Zangief 24
    Ryu 24

I can't get the Hundred Hand Slaps or Lightning Kicks to come out in a combo especially the non-ex versions. Any advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

You a stick man or a pad man?
    What are the commands for those trials?

For the mash moves you can piano the inputs so for example honda cr.lp xx HP HHS is cr.(lp mp hp lp hp)...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Use turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

DarkTalant wrote: »
    You a stick man or a pad man?
    What are the commands for those trials?

For the mash moves you can piano the inputs so for example honda cr.lp xx HP HHS is cr.(lp mp hp lp hp)...

I play on PS3 controller

The Honda trials I have are 18, 21,, 23, 24,

Chun Li trials I have are , 21, 24,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJC4EpD-Eng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxPxm-jg7ow

EDIT: Just did Chun 18

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I play on PS3 controller
    Give up? lol

If you want to try/are insane you can try the following(you need 5 inputs for a mash move to come out):
    Chun 21: after jump in mash on mk then when you land mash on lk while holding downback
    Chun 24: after overhead mash on cr.lk and KKK
    Honda 18: try it after a jump in/FA crumple stun.
    Honda 21: just link cr.lp and super-cancel it
    Honda 23: try it after a jump in/FA crumple stun.
    Honda 24: bufer the first few inputs for HHS into MP's recovery, then link lp and mash on HP.

I did all the trials on SFIV, no way am I giving up on the SSFIV trials lol.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what happens when u do all trials? bar the achievement unlocked

I think you just get the trophy/achievement and some titles and icons.

I'm doing them for the sake of having 100% and the feeling of "I've done them all"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

gaviscon-fireman.jpg
    what a feelin

Lol very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For mash moves, all you need to remember are:
    • You need 5 inputs for a mash move.
    • Your 5th input determines the strength (L/M/H/EX)
    • You can mask/buffer the input.
      E.g. if you press (rapidly) LK, MK, LK, MK, 3K with Chun, you'll get the combo LK, LK, EX Lightning Legs (LL). Inputting MK during LKs animation adds to the count towards LL.
    • You can still hold d/b during the animation to hold charge (will be problematic with Honda during EX Hands)

• Advertisement

Gah my weakness for SRK motions from crouching are starting to really show in Sagat and Viper 24. Keep pulling off tiger shot for Sagat and Super for Viper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Gah my weakness for SRK motions from crouching are starting to really show in Sagat and Viper 24. Keep pulling off tiger shot for Sagat and Super for Viper

Thats the one time the stupid SRK shortcut (mashing down-forward twice if you aren't aware of it) actually comes in handy.

I'm not all that bothered with doing all the trails but I do wonder what to do about always being just out of range for the end of Makotos 24, timing/strength of Hayate cancel affect where you end up or something?

I do know about the shortcut it did help me out with Ken trials ect. I can do it if there's only one cr. punch before the srk motion but in Sagat there's cr.mp and cr.lp before heavy tiger uppercut so that kinda throws me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

On pad (what I play on) to do SRK after a string of crouching moves, say Sagat's cr.lk x n, cr.lp xx tiger uppercut. I do all the cr.lks, then for cr.lp I do, f, d+lp, df+ p

:P

On stick I just do the SRK when I need it

If I haven't done the Honda trials in SFIV on pad somehow. I would be thinking now that they're impossible on the pad.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Thats the one time the stupid SRK shortcut (mashing down-forward twice if you aren't aware of it) actually comes in handy.

I'm not all that bothered with doing all the trails but I do wonder what to do about always being just out of range for the end of Makotos 24, timing/strength of Hayate cancel affect where you end up or something?

To execute Hayate cancels on the first possible frame, Input the hayate motion using lp and lk at virtually the same time.then finish the combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hey,
    I find it really really difficult to pull off most of the combos in SF4. I'm playing on xbox 360, always with Ryu. I can execute the combos from stage 1-8, but just can't get the 9th. Is there something I need to know, or is it actually just a matter of getting used to millisecond timing?

I was trying a combo for a good half hour or so but couldn't get it finished off :mad:

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thanks for the vid. Didn't know about plinking before, will give it a go. Would this work with a fireball as part of the combo? The combo I couldn't get involved a fireball as the 2nd last step of the combo, but I just couldn't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Great for learning timing and finger movements although Daigo's finger movements are somewhat unorthodox imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Plinking is a little too advanced for someone who struggles with ryus 9th trial, You just have to not mash it out, do the input and follow up with the next commands, if your playing on pad dont rub your thumb into the d-pad or analog stick like mad, take your time with it, you have to be precise with the inputs.

The Hound wrote: »
    Plinking is a little too advanced for someone who struggles with ryus 9th trial, You just have to not mash it out, do the input and follow up with the next commands, if your playing on pad dont rub your thumb into the d-pad or analog stick like mad, take your time with it, you have to be precise with the inputs.

So it is just a matter of sitting until you get the timing down? I'm not looking for a quick fix solution but the timing required does seem crazily precise!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Cianos wrote: »
    So it is just a matter of sitting until you get the timing down? I'm not looking for a quick fix solution but the timing required does seem crazily precise!
    na its not that precise, its easy once you get it down. Wait til you get to the trails 24 or so

Also with longer combos break them down into sections where you practice just the first part and the second part linking those two together and then the next 2 parts and then try joining them. This often helps with the more complex combos.

Eventually you'll realise similar button inputs carry across to other characters and getting to know their combos will become easier and easier as you get more and more used to these inputs.

Only trials I have left at this stage is.

Ryu 24 (cr.mk and the heavy hadoken FADC U2)
    Honda 21-24 (HHS in combos)
    Zangief 24 (Just a tough link)
    Sagat 24 (Heavy Tiger uppercut after cr.lp)
    Rufus 23 (damn cr.mk)
    Ibuki (SJC U2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Daigo just kinda caresses the controller and moves come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm aiming to broaden my knowledge of the game, and I was wondering if any of the older school players thought the Vanilla SF trials were of any use?

Because I didn't really play vanilla, but I did give the trials a go, and they seem really different between the two games.

Fergus_ wrote: »

For Viper's 24th if you're getting super then it means you're hitting a Forward input that you shouldn't be. Grind the bottom of the square gate and use the shortcut of double df when you're inputting the EX Seismo and you should be fine without the stupid random super coming out. Takes getting used to obviously but just practice.

I broken it down by doing cr.fp > ex seismo over and over on it's own and then I'd do cr.fp > Fp.TK Feint over and over so that I was literally just doing crouching fierce thunder knuckle feints over and over again to get the natural timing of when to hit the feint down. Then I'd start adding in the second fp after the feint to get used to the window I had to hit again before the dummy blocked and eventually then join it with ex seismo and after that it's pretty straight forward burn kick to ultra but the funny thing is then once you actually get one out you will be so surprised that you will have forgotten you're supposed to super jump cancel a burn kick straight after for the ultra :) Just keep at it. It's actually easier than her 23rd imo.

Ry wrote: »
    For Viper's 24th if you're getting super then it means you're hitting a Forward input that you shouldn't be. Grind the bottom of the square gate and use the shortcut of double df when you're inputting the EX Seismo and you should be fine without the stupid random super coming out. Takes getting used to obviously but just practice doing cr.fp > ex seismo over and over on it's own and eventually then join it with cr.fp>fp.tk-feint - cr.fp>ex seismo.

Funny thing is then once you actually get one out you will be so surprised that you will have forgotten you're supposed to super jump cancel a burn kick straight after for the ultra :) Just keep at it. It's actually easier than her 23rd imo.

I actually did her 24 since that quote but thanks for the advice anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CloudRunner89

For the problems with e.g cr.lk-tiger uppercut. In SSF4 they added a new command for the SRK motion. df,db,df+p. If you struggle with it at all I think this is bar far your best options for trials, especially on pad or square gate.

e.g df+lk-df+lk,db,df+lp.

Advertisement