Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUS STOP AT BROWN THOMAS

Options
  • 25-10-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

JUST WONDERING , HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THE BUS STOP AT BROWN THOMAS IN LIMERICK BEING MOVED ON AS THE PEOPLE WHO ALIGHT THE BUS ARE NOT BT'S IN CUSTOMER BASE?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

WHAT ????? CAN'T HEAR YA!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    WHAT ????? CAN'T HEAR YA!!!!!

I THINK SHE ASKED A QUESTION ABOUT THE BUS STOP AT BROWN THOMAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

AOwannabe wrote: »
    I THINK SHE ASKED A QUESTION ABOUT THE BUS STOP AT BROWN THOMAS.

AROUND 8 30 I THINK

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Next person to post in all capitals gets a yellow card ;)

Pearson, go back and edit your post so that it's in the proper case, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Pearson wrote: »
    JUST WONDERING , HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THE BUS STOP AT BROWN THOMAS IN LIMERICK BEING MOVED ON AS THE PEOPLE WHO ALIGHT THE BUS ARE NOT BT'S IN CUSTOMER BASE?

I heard a variation of that rumour. Nothing to do with the buses moving anywhere though. It may be that removing the riff raff is part of a package being offered to BT in last ditch negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

In fairness it can't be nice for Brown Thomas Clientèle to have to pass by all the Rowdy Raheen Bus Riff-Raff on their way into the high class Store, especially since most of them are still dealing with the difficult and confusing transition from being Todds Clientèle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Negotiations are 'last ditch' now?

I didn't know there was even negotiations.

Did Brown Thomas threaten to pull out of Limerick?

Where could they move the bus stop to? Maybe the new Sarsfield street when it is ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Yes I can confirm that the bus stop is moving, but not very far. The BT bus stop is moving to Sarsfield Street, to allow for the pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street from the William Street junction to the Roches Street junction. This has been in the pipeline for years

Next time you're on Sarsfield Street, have a look at the road, either side has a parking bay, the one on the left (heading towards William St) will be for busses, and the one on the right for taxi's.

Post has been moderated .. billy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Tongue in cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

if its going to sarsfield street. what about shelter? theres shelter at the dunnes bus stop, and shelter at brown thomas as it is, so whats happening with that? just stand in the pissin' rain right in time for winter??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Maybe I picked this up wrong, but if buses are going out toward Dooradoyle shouldn't the bus stop be on the right side of the road to enable buses to take the right turn lane? Unless the turn is too tight or the left lane is a straight ahead/right turn lane.

concussion wrote: »
    Maybe I picked this up wrong, but if buses are going out toward Dooradoyle shouldn't the bus stop be on the right side of the road to enable buses to take the right turn lane? Unless the turn is too tight or the left lane is a straight ahead/right turn lane.

For Dooradoyle it will join the new orbital route, at the top of William St as there won't be a right turn there once the work is completed. Also if the bus was on the right hand side then people would be alighting on the road and not the footpath.

zing zong wrote: »
    if its going to sarsfield street. what about shelter? theres shelter at the dunnes bus stop, and shelter at brown thomas as it is, so whats happening with that? just stand in the pissin' rain right in time for winter??

There is a shelter running from the corner to the side door of Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A little O/T but what is LCC's obsession with putting taxi ranks on the right hand side of streets? :confused: William St., O'Connell St. and now Sarsfield St. Even Stevie Wonder could see it is dangerous getting into a taxi on the right hand side facing moving traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

bazz26 wrote: »
    A little O/T but what is LCC's obsession with putting taxi ranks on the right hand side of streets? :confused: William St., O'Connell St. and now Sarsfield St. Even Stevie Wonder could see it is dangerous getting into a taxi on the right hand side facing moving traffic.

They're not facing traffic. These are all 1 way streets so they will be facing the same direction as the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

zing zong wrote: »

Lots of Limerick Bus Shelters Stops are just a mere Sign - no Shelter, no Timetable, no indication of the route and usually for at least 90 minutes at time no Bus either......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    They're not facing traffic. These are all 1 way streets so they will be facing the same direction as the traffic.

but the footpath is on the opposite side of the taxis to the passenger seat, meaning you have to dodge cars to get into it.

What direction the traffic flows in makes little difference as Billy pointed out, you still have to step out onto the road to get in at the passenger side which is crazy. What happened to common sense with these planners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

What direction the traffic flows in makes little difference as Billy pointed out, you still have to step out onto the road to get in at the passenger side which is crazy. What happened to common sense with these planners?

Sit in the back seat. That's what I'd do anyway.

Sit in the back seat. That's what I'd do anyway.

And what if there is more than one or two people to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

when a few people start getting slaps of cars they will move it across the road engineers i think not dopes !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Has anybody been hit by a car while boarding a taxi on O'Connell Street or William Street?
    If people are getting into taxis in a properly designed pick-up spot then they're hardly in any more danger than they are at those spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

foinse wrote: »
    For Dooradoyle it will join the new orbital route, at the top of William St as there won't be a right turn there once the work is completed.

Good to know.
    foinse wrote: »
    Also if the bus was on the right hand side then people would be alighting on the road and not the footpath.

I'm an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How will the orbital route affect bus stops on O'Connell st?

Just looking at the plan there! Should only affect the BT one but for traffic i cant help but feel its going to be an abssolute nightmare

Mc Love wrote: »
    How will the orbital route affect bus stops on O'Connell st?

I will say it again, O'Connell Street is being pedestrianised from William Street to Roches Street, so buses will no longer be able to travel up O'Connell Street, for these two blocks, but will instead use the new city orbital route.

http://www.limerickcorp.ie/OurServices/Transportation/LimerickCityCentreRemodellingandPedestrianisation/

This work has already been budgeted for and they are well into implementing the plan with the upgrades completed on Clancy and O'Callaghan Strand, Thomas St, Bedford Row, and the lower part of Catherine St. Sarsfield Street is almost complete and once that is finished work will begin, as far as I know, on William Street.

This is a thread for the bus-stop on O'Connell Street, not for speculation about the success or otherwise of local businesses.

You saw the warning and ignored it, Blackbeard.
    Thread closed until it's cleared up by the mod team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

oops , forgot to unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

but the footpath is on the opposite side of the taxis to the passenger seat, meaning you have to dodge cars to get into it.

Would you like the taxi driver to take your coat as you board his vehicle as well? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Taxis have back doors on either side of the vehicle, so unless there's more than 3 getting into the taxi then it's a non issue.

Advertisement