Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for a drink and a game?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Anyone know any good places in Dublin where a game of chess and drink would not be out of place?

I've played chess in some pubs with my friends but the atmosphere never seems right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Irish Chess Union

Hi Darragh,

If you find out can you please let us know!!! Maybe it's time for an initiative in this regard :)

That said some of the clubs in Dublin are located on licensed premises although not necessarily pubs. Finglas play in Erin's Isle GAA club, Dublin play in the United Arts club and Inchicore play in the United Workmans club. Most of these are chess followed by beer though, not necessarily the two together! Full club listing at the link below.

http://www.icu.ie/clubs/list.php

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

Hi Darragh,

If you find out can you please let us know!!! Maybe it's time for an initiative in this regard :)

That said some of the clubs in Dublin are located on licensed premises although not necessarily pubs. Finglas play in Erin's Isle GAA club, Dublin play in the United Arts club and Inchicore play in the United Workmans club. Most of these are chess followed by beer though, not necessarily the two together! Full club listing at the link below.

http://www.icu.ie/clubs/list.php

Peters pub maybe on south william street??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Believe it or not there is a pub that chess is played in regularly

Clonliffe House in Ballybough(close to Croke Park)

We also have competitions 3 times a year and our league is due to start in the next few weeks

Most games are played in the lower section of the bar and we have a few very decent players

To the op if you fancy dropping in for a game give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

fivestar wrote: »
    Peters pub maybe on south william street??

Why do you mention Peters Pub?
    Is this Peters Pub around Stephen Street/Drury st. in Dublin 2?
    Are there designated tables for chess or a few regular who play?
    I know the Morrison Hotel has a few table with board game layouts on them. Its something that I see abroad far more reguarly, maybe because of the café society and leisure-spending time.
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    Believe it or not there is a pub that chess is played in regularly Clonliffe House in Ballybough(close to Croke Park)
    We also have competitions 3 times a year and our league is due to start in the next few weeks
    Most games are played in the lower section of the bar and we have a few very decent players
    To the op if you fancy dropping in for a game give me a shout

What day(s) of the week would be good for a stranger to drop in?

Normally the best night is a monday night but let me know in advance so i can make sure that an opponent will be there

We are in the process of setting up our 1st competition of the year

This is our 3rd year running Chess Tournaments
    We have a League

Shield (Straight knockout)

And a xmas competition

I am also looking at running an open 3 day Competition at some stage later on in the year

We have had a minimum of 8 players (in our 1st competiton ) 17 players in the 1st shield and an overall average of 12 over the 6 competitions

There is good fun and banter to be had between the players and it is one of the best pints in Dublin (Blatant brag :D)

So give me a shout on this thread and if there is enough interest i would love to see a Boards Competition happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'll bookmark this thread.

great idea to have chess played in a pub.

(I'm only a casual player.......I'd be cannon fodder for the competitors over there in the Clonliffe House:D).

hinault wrote: »
    I'll bookmark this thread.

great idea to have chess played in a pub.

(I'm only a casual player.......I'd be cannon fodder for the competitors over there in the Clonliffe House:D).

There are players of different skill levels (Not any grandmasters though )

I would love to see new players coming in for a game and as i said the Clonliffe is a very nice pub to have a drink in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Sparks43 wrote: »
    There are players of different skill levels (Not any grandmasters though )

I would love to see new players coming in for a game and as i said the Clonliffe is a very nice pub to have a drink in

I'm a southsider but I'd have no problem travelling to the Clonliffe House or any other pub for a game of chess.

I love the game:)

Gonna post a link to a 2 year old thread When we were in our starting up phase (At the time i thought Pub Chess could be a success)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465902

Also i am free Friday if anyone fancies a game

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Thanks for replying Sparky,

I'd be interested in taking part in one of the competitions, if the day(s) suit me.

Fair play are continuing to orgaise this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement