Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting it again

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jollygreengiant

i started watching it again for the second time and it's still as good as the first time. at least the second time you can focus more on the storyline and the smaller details that you may not have noticed before. im on the fourth season now and still my favourite seasons are the 1st, 3rd, 4th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The nights are drawing in.. It's getting dark and cold.

Time to watch the wire again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

is there something wrong with me.i watched 4 or 5 episodes of it and i knocked it off.i didnt like it.:( found it boring.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

crazygeryy wrote: »
    is there something wrong with me.i watched 4 or 5 episodes of it and i knocked it off.i didnt like it.:( found it boring.

Happens. If you dont like it, you dont like it.
    Happened to me with Breaking Bad but i gave that a full season to come to the conclusion it wasnt for me.

So can only say, give the full 1st season a go and decide again.

Funny you mention it. The 1st time I watched the wire that's when I gave up too.
    Stick with it though. You'll be so glad you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It takes a while to get into it, the lingo, the characters, the slow actual development of said characters. I have found that the most common problem people have reported when watching it the first time is simply the lingo, that they don't understand what the hell is going on! Once that clicks into place its so rewarding, actually took me till near the end of season 1 to actually really get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ok im convinced. ;-) cheers for the replies. once breaking bad finishes ill give it another shot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And as Kryogen said, the lingo and Baltimore accent might be a factor too why you "dont get it".
    Even though Dutch is my 1st language i normally do fine without subtitles but found them really helpful with The Wire.
    I used the English subs as a lot gets lost in translation but that wouldnt be an issue for you i reckon

ok im convinced. ;-) cheers for the replies. once breaking bad finishes ill give it another shot.

I'll trace you cos I've yet to see a single episode of breaking bad but it seems to be like TV heroin the way my mates do be scrabbling in Facebook about when the next episode is on Netflix:)

Seriously though, once you get into it (probably by the end of season one) you'll be hooked. Then season two seems unrelated initially but it all ties up together wonderfully you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Ive read(maybe here?) that watching the wire is like someone staring at a big pile of jigsaw pieces and not having a clue how to do it. Then the last episode comes along and you start to see individual bits and they just seamlesly click together.

• Advertisement

Jigsaw yes. Drugs/cops/underworld of Baltimore is the puzzle

Each season(not episode but yes too on the micro) is a piece

1st season-cops/dealers
    2nd season-cops/drug importers/docks where the drugs come in through
    3rd season-cops/kids who actually sell the drugs
    4th season-cops/the mayors office(sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit)
    5th-cops/newspapers who report on it all

I may have the order wrong but it's sublime all the way individually and as each episode goes by it gets better and better and all falls into place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Ya I found it to be a great show, takes time alright, the tempo can be a bit slow but all the story's intertwined are quite good.mcnulty is a great character too.very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

mcnulty is a great character too.very funny

Hope this isn't spoiling anything (don't think it is but) the scene in Season 5 where the FBI agent gives the profile of the serial killer is seriously one of the best few minutes of television ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I've started watching it again and have found myself enjoying it more the second time.

The Wire somehow gets better the more times you watch it.
    I'm not kidding.

There's so much in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

david75 wrote: »
    The Wire somehow gets better the more times you watch it.
    I'm not kidding.

There's so much in there.

Completely. First time I watched it, I thought it was genius, but there was so much I picked up on that I'd missed out on when watching it a second time. Once you know all the characters it allows you time to focus on whats going on with the storyline.

Season 4 might just be the best season of television of all time.

Advertisement