Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campsites in France

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi we have booked our sailing to Roscoff. Going the last two weeks in June. Looking to stay in Brittany as we don't want to far a drive for the kids, 4 and 1.

Can anybody recommend a good campsite? Looking for a family friendly, maybe a water park nearby kind of place. Would like to be close to a town and a beach. Any help welcomed:-)

Another vote for Vendee, we stayed in St. Jean De Monts. I was the same as yourself have 4 kids and at time they were 2,4,6 & 8. I said my max driving time was 4/5 hours and that gets you to Vendee, its grand especially if like us you break it up and go for a meal half way. Seems a shame to go all the way and stay in Brittany.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭metrostation

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You cannot compare the 2 boats....Port Aven is a fantastic ship...the best option for travelling to France. Ldlines could be more classed as a truckers boat - it's grand but a lot longer journey with little or nothing to do!

The Norman Atlantic may not be as swanky, but its more than half the price of the Pont Aven, and because it sails further down the coast, you save a fortune on petrol costs and toll fees if going down towards Vendee.LD have stated that there will be a full entertainment programme during the summer months so hopefully there will be enough to keep everyone occupied!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Norman Atlantic may not be as swanky, but its more than half the price of the Pont Aven, and because it sails further down the coast, you save a fortune on petrol costs and toll fees if going down towards Vendee.LD have stated that there will be a full entertainment programme during the summer months so hopefully there will be enough to keep everyone occupied!!

There was a Bargain alert a month or two ago when it was announced they would be sailing from Rosslare. It was seriously good value but it has gone up a fair bit since. The sailing times are not very good for travelling that far south in my opinion - meaning a serious amount of time would have to be spent on board. and the facilities are simply not there to keep kids entertained for that amount of time - Brittany Ferries sailing times are perfect I think.
    Plus if you are going to the Vendee, you don't have to pay tolls - I've never paid them. But if the price I'm sure it is a viable option for some - bit I would much prefer to pay a few hundred more to start the holiday the minute I got on board if I'm honest.

I am glad they have started up though as they should hopefully provide competition going forward and possible see a reduction of prices next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Can anyone give me a few campsite ideas for the west coast of France for June, anywhere down the west coast. I've decided to skip the plane to Spain and chance the car ferry to Roscoff with my Tesco points. Two teenage daughters and the wife in the boot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

ShaunC wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a few campsite ideas for the west coast of France for June, anywhere down the west coast. I've decided to skip the plane to Spain and chance the car ferry to Roscoff with my Tesco points. Two teenage daughters and the wife in the boot;)

How long do you want to drive for ?

• Advertisement

I don't mind, just a little warmer than Brittany but not as far as Spain.
    Being my first time to do it, it will be an adventure, just don't tell my wife I said that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

www.ukcampsite.co.uk has a French Site section.
    Lots of sites sorted by region, loads of reviews and links to the Site's websites.
    Easy to use as they show the sites on a map, so you can just pick reviews of ones that suit where you are heading. Also all the reviews show whether the reviewer stayed in a Tent, Caravan or Motorhome.

2 summers ago we stayed in Les Ecureuils, we found it a great site and loads for the kids to do. Super location as well the town is only a few min walk away and loads to do in it.

http://www.eurocamp.ie/sites/france-vendee/vn017-les-ecureuils.html

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but is Campsite Acapulco St Jean de Monts the campsite some of you are recommending or are there other ones in St. Jean de Monts.

A total newbie here. looking for some recommendations with 3 children under 5 and trying to find the best fit.

Many Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

highly1111 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but is Campsite Acapulco St Jean de Monts the campsite some of you are recommending or are there other ones in St. Jean de Monts.

A total newbie here. looking for some recommendations with 3 children under 5 and trying to find the best fit.

Many Thanks

Aculpoco is a nice site, Clarys Plage is 100 yards away is a far nicer site. I found Aculpoco to be a very dusty site by comparison.
    Le Bois Dormant and Le Bois Masson are sister sites and they are very nice as well. I worked on those sites and stayed on all 4 - CLarys Plage is the nicest of the 4.and is only a 5min walk to the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Thanks so much. Another option i'm looking at is Campsite Le Château St Hilaire de Riez as it appears to be particularly child friendly for my kids ages. If anyone has any info about that, i would appreciate it.

going to price Clarys Plage now.

THanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We usually stick to campsites within the Le Castles or Yelloh Village chains of campsites.
    We've found them to of a very high standard, excellant facilities and plenty to do.
    We've been going out now for ten years and this summer were bringing a caravan for the first time.

Camping Le Littoral and Sequoia Parc are our favourites so far.

We're trying a new campsite this year but staying within the Le Castles chain.

Interesting St John Den Mont was our least favourite area.

Les Sables D'olonne is a super tourist town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

bbam wrote: »
    We usually stick to campsites within the Le Castles or Yelloh Village chains of campsites.
    We've found them to of a very high standard, excellant facilities and plenty to do.
    We've been going out now for ten years and this summer were bringing a caravan for the first time.

Camping Le Littoral and Sequoia Parc are our favourites so far.

We're trying a new campsite this year but staying within the Le Castles chain.

Interesting St John Den Mont was our least favourite area.

Les Sables D'olonne is a super tourist town.

Have to agree re Yelloh Village and Les Castels campsites- Suberb facilities for adults as well as children.

This will be our first year going to St Jean de Monts and I'm not sure it's our kind of area as I'm reading a lot of negative reviews suggesting the entire area is very touristy and full of Irish and English. While we like being in the centre of things, we also like experiencing a little of the real France. And while we have 3 children (2, 4 & 6), on previous holidays they've had no problems mixing and making friends with children of all nationalities. (Personally I don't like bumping into someone from down the road when on holidays though I do find that apart from a friendly hello and discussions and tips on ferries and camping holidays in general, Irish campers especially Motorhomers do tend to keep themselves to themselves and you won't find the "pack" mentality that tends to be a feature in places like Spain and Portugal. Though the more I read on St Jean de Monts the more I worry it's another Puerto del Carmen lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Hi All,

Just booked a holiday in Le Biches in the Vendee region - 2 children 12 and 7. Haven't been to France before on holiday - going Irish Ferries Rosslare to Roscoff - anyone been there before ? Suggestions on sights to see etc. would be very welcome. Thanks.

cars701 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just booked a holiday in Le Biches in the Vendee region - 2 children 12 and 7. Haven't been to France before on holiday - going Irish Ferries Rosslare to Roscoff - anyone been there before ? Suggestions on sights to see etc. would be very welcome. Thanks.
    I'm going to the same area and all I have found so far is this, looks like a good day out.

http://www.puydufou.com/

I'm going to the same area and all I have found so far is this, looks like a good day out.

That is a must see. Seriously enjoyable - long day but really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Thank you. :)

hi, im just wondering what is the average price for a week in a campsite in france?

im looking into getting a holiday for my friend, she has 3 young kids and has always said she would like one of these campsite holidays.
    chances are either me or 2 other adults would be going with her.

so basically i would be looking at the Ferry, and a weeks mobile home?
    would the new cheap ferry be worth it?

i know a few people that have mobile homes in France, would she be better ( and would it be cheaper for a week?) just to fly over? if i could get a cheap deal on the mobile home.

is there a website that does both travel and campsite deals together? sorry i did look online but dont know where to start!

bubblypop wrote: »
    hi, im just wondering what is the average price for a week in a campsite in france?

im looking into getting a holiday for my friend, she has 3 young kids and has always said she would like one of these campsite holidays.
    chances are either me or 2 other adults would be going with her.

so basically i would be looking at the Ferry, and a weeks mobile home?
    would the new cheap ferry be worth it?

i know a few people that have mobile homes in France, would she be better ( and would it be cheaper for a week?) just to fly over? if i could get a cheap deal on the mobile home.

is there a website that does both travel and campsite deals together? sorry i did look online but dont know where to start!

Your looking at an average price of around 1200 for a week peak season in most campsites, if you book direct through their own website you could get cheaper (as opposed to eurocamp website)

Look for campsites within the Vendee region as you will likely get the weather here and its not too far a drive from the ferry, also some of the best campsites in France are located here.

You could fly to either Nantes or La Rochelle airports which are both located close to these campsites, for a family of 5 you be looking at a price of between 800 - 1000 depending what day/time your travelling.

Ferry prices for a family of 5 with cabin + car will probably range between the prices listed below;
    Brittany Ferries - 1300
    Irish Ferries - 1200
    Celtic Link - 1000
    LD Lines - 800

LD lines are the cheapest and they also sail closer to the Vendee than the others but they are pretty much the Ryanair of the seas with a cheap, no frills service and they recently (and brutally) decided to cancel a lot of their off season sailings because they were unable to make a profit from them, so just weigh up all the pros and cons before making the final decision.

Your looking at an average price of around 1200 for a week peak season in most campsites, if you book direct through their own website you could get cheaper (as opposed to eurocamp website)

Look for campsites within the Vendee region as you will likely get the weather here and its not too far a drive from the ferry, also some of the best campsites in France are located here.

You could fly to either Nantes or La Rochelle airports which are both located close to these campsites, for a family of 5 you be looking at a price of between 800 - 1000 depending what day/time your travelling.

Ferry prices for a family of 5 with cabin + car will probably range between the prices listed below;
    Brittany Ferries - 1300
    Irish Ferries - 1200
    Celtic Link - 1000
    LD Lines - 800

LD lines are the cheapest and they also sail closer to the Vendee than the others but they are pretty much the Ryanair of the seas with a cheap, no frills service and they recently (and brutally) decided to cancel a lot of their off season sailings because they were unable to make a profit from them, so just weigh up all the pros and cons before making the final decision.

thank you so much, so basically 1200 a week plus the ferry on top is that right?

have you heard of any website where you can book them both together?
    thanks so much for the info

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    thank you so much, so basically 1200 a week plus the ferry on top is that right?

have you heard of any website where you can book them both together?
    thanks so much for the info

Yeah the accommodation should be around 1200 and then you book flights/ferry on top of that, I don't know of any website that give you a "package" deal as such but if you book the campsite through eurocamp im nearly sure they can book your flights or ferry at a discounted rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I've been there twice, once for the daytime event and once for the night time event. It's fabulous and I would highly recommend it but would advise to bring plenty sunscreen if going in the daytime as shade is limited when watching the shows - especially the gladiators arena. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Thks for the replies. Yeah I'll look into going futher south.

Just saw the Ldlines boat that goes futher south to st nazaire, that might have being a better option. Looking forward to it no matter where we end up!

Dont write off the vendee, it tends to get more warm weather than other parts of france due to the geography of the area. We were in St Jean de monts last year at the bois dormant campsite, we enjoyed it so much that we're heading back this year again. worth noting, is that of the 2 campsites, the dormant has much more space between mobile homes and the camp overall is a fair bit quieter than the more lively Bois masson. If lively is your thing, dont worry, the two campsites are literally across the road from one another.

Also, with regards to the kids and long drives, mcdonalds is your friend in this instance. pretty much all of them along the way have an external playground which is great for giving the small ones a chance to work off any frustration from being cooped up in a car.

Finally, enjoy it!

We have booked les Ecrulles campsite in the Vendeé for June, but we are staying in Normandy on our first night so that we can visit Mont St. Michel on our first day and on our second day (6th June D-Day anniversary) visit one of the D-Day beaches and/or museums. There is bound to be a lot on in the area as its the 70th anniversary of D-Day and finding accommodation was a bitch:o
    I better get my ass into gear and plan my itinerary shortly or the boss will kill me.

We have booked les Ecrulles campsite in the Vendeé for June, but we are staying in Normandy on our first night so that we can visit Mont St. Michel on our first day and on our second day (6th June D-Day anniversary) visit one of the D-Day beaches and/or museums. There is bound to be a lot on in the area as its the 70th anniversary of D-Day and finding accommodation was a bitch:o
    I better get my ass into gear and plan my itinerary shortly or the boss will kill me.

We stayed there 2 years ago, great site and we loved the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

No wonder I was having so much trouble finding hotels around the d-day beachs.
    I went to the d-day beachs years ago as a kid now I want to go back as I realise the importance of it now.

This place is the business, worth the journey for this medieval park alone.
    Be early, get your park map/schedule and plan your day.
    A series of live shows through the ages with many 'actors' and animals in the 'shows'. When you see one show, you will just have enough time to make your way to a different part of the park for the next show.

Also, Miniature Vendee is worth an hour or two, indoor miniature model of Vendee through the ages, model railway through it.

Also if you like vintage cars their is an indoor car museum in the region.

We also stayed in Siblu's Le Bois Dormant park in St. Jean the Monts, enjoyed our stay here, good enough as outdoor life goes.
    Outdoor pool only, but you can use the small indoor pool in the sister park across the road.

St. Jean de Monts promenade is very nice.
    Nice farmers market in the town. Nice town, but not huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Going here on the 11th june. Really looking forward to this site as I've heard alot of gd reviews. Went to Porteranges last yr but it was too far with the kids (3+1) 24days and counting :-)

I was just on the puydufou website and it is saying that all the nighttime shows are fully booked for June :(

• Advertisement

I was just on the puydufou website and it is saying that all the nighttime shows are fully booked for June :(

Never got there for the evening, I would say it would be fantastic.

Still really worth going during the day as well.

Advertisement