Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9/11 attacks weren't a US plot !!

Options
  • 22-10-2010 5:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Caroline Hutchinson | 22nd October 2010
    Is it just me or does everyone think the interweb has a lot to answer for? In a weird alignment of planets, this week in the news, at home and at work I’ve been plagued by conspiracy theorists determined to convince me, once again, that George Bush, Zionists or even the Vatican were responsible for the September 11 attacks.

In general, I consider conspiracy theories the rabid fantasies of lonely blokes who failed at university and have spent the rest of their lives trying to prove they’re smarter than everyone who passed. And since many of them are, unlike me, smart enough to retain and regurgitate precise (albeit selective) scientific detail, it makes me a pretty soft target for their rants. Therefore, in preparation for my next 9/11 nut job assault, I’ve been working on an official response.

I don’t know if you’ve checked, but there are significantly more websites dedicated to conspiracy theories than to the mainstream point of view. In fact my 15-year-old got half way through a history assignment on September 11 before her confused cries for help alerted us to the fact she was reading the wrong stuff. I know if you’re a conspiracy theorist you’re mad at me now for not letting my daughter read everything and draw her own conclusions. Honestly, I was just saving her the time. With a nod to the animated series South Park, in short, there are three reasons I don’t think George Bush, The Pope or even the CIA did it – love, logistics and dibber-dobbers.Truth Movement websites, as they’re known, routinely claim there were no terrorists on board any of the 9/11 flights.

Apparently the pilots were either stooges or, in the case of the World Trade Centre crashes, the planes were military jets guided remotely into the buildings with no passengers on board. The phone calls from supposed loved ones were faked and the actual passenger jets that went missing on the day were shot down over the ocean. The heart of the conspiracy theory stems from how the buildings collapsed. In particular, that an aviation fuel fire is incapable of melting steel, that the buildings collapsed upon themselves and that a third building, not hit by a hijacked plane also collapsed. There’s plenty more, by the way, but this will do for now. Based on those propositions, the truth movement contends all three buildings were imploded in a “controlled demolition” using explosives planted at some earlier time. They also claim the Pentagon was not hit by an airliner but by a guided missile and the fourth airliner, United 93, was shot down en route to the capital because the passengers threatened to land it successfully thus exposing the plot.

To accept any of it, you have to believe there are thousands of people connected to the US government evil and brilliant enough to co-ordinate such a complex plan, without one person ever dobbing. Keep in mind that the group had to train or invent 19 fake hijackers, complete with elaborate background stories and send them to flying schools across the country to ensure there was someone to blame following the event. Imagine the paperwork. No matter how rotten you think the US administration is there must be some good people in there. And surely they’d be looking for paperwork on every new recruit, every planning meeting, request for flight times, aircraft requisition, talent fee, mislaid guided missile or flying student conveniently made disappear.

And don’t get me started on the overtime it would have taken for the bomb squad to wire up the twin towers.It’s not only ridiculous to suggest there were hundreds of civil servants willing to cold heartedly slaughter thousands of their countrymen, it’s deeply offensive. And just quietly, you know how all of your friends have stopped arguing about your whack job theories? I promise you, it’s not assent, they’re just bored.

It’s not only ridiculous to suggest there were hundreds of civil servants willing to cold heartedly slaughter thousands of their countrymen, it’s deeply offensive.

NOW TAKE A LOOK AT THE REPLIES :D
    http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2010/10/22/september-11-attacks-were-not-a-us-plot-interweb/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Logic, rationality and cogent arguments are impenetrable to the armour of many conspiracy theorists.

You'll find a lot of non CTers are easily won over by stupid videos like 'Loose Change'. A couple of work-mates were talking about 9/11 conspiracy theories recently and then I told them the theories were bunkum and have been debunked years ago. They rolled their eyes, called me gullible and close-minded, even though believing something based on flimsy arguments with no evidence whatsoever is exactly what I would call close-mindedness.

The below video is not specifically related to conspiracy theories but very relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Awake1

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Logic, rationality and cogent arguments are impenetrable to the armour of many conspiracy theorists.

You'll find a lot of non CTers are easily won over by stupid videos like 'Loose Change'. A couple of work-mates were talking about 9/11 conspiracy theories recently and then I told them the theories were bunkum and have been debunked years ago. They rolled their eyes, called me gullible and close-minded, even though believing something based on flimsy arguments with no evidence whatsoever is exactly what I would call close-mindedness.

The below video is not specifically related to conspiracy theories but very relevant.

Um, this might me relevant to you and your workmate but not to me.Don't assume to think you know what I know or do not know. That makes you close minded.

Awake1 wrote: »
    Um, this might me relevant to you and your workmate but not to me.Don't assume to think you know what I know or do not know. That makes you close minded.

Edit. I thought from your above, barely legible post that you were a disbeliever of 9/11 CTs, now I realise you just pasted it from another site.

No, making assumptions on your beliefs is not close-minded. Presumptuous, maybe, but not close-minded.
    A bunch of people believing a CT does not make it any truer, you know what does? Evidence.

Christ, what made you think I was referring to you? Get the **** over yourself

I am not christ.You were responding to me and you said it was relevant :S

Awake1 wrote: »
    I am not christ.You were responding to me and you said it was relevant :S

I edited my above post as I thought your original post was your opinion.

• Advertisement

I edited my above post as I thought your original post was your opinion.

Much appreciated.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

That statement was neccessary why?

Here post this in...let's say Islam. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=571
    Logic, rationality and cogent arguments are impenetrable to the armour of many conspiracy theorists. Muslims

Bet you get banned...

huh? If it's not relevant to conspiracy theories then who or what is it relevant to? And why did you post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Meh, it's all about how you spin the logic, rationality and cogent arguments in order to make them seem the most logical, rational and cogent arguments. If you can't spin it enough, just keep repeating the lie, and sooner or later the 'majority' believe it and those who question it are wrong, of course. Conspiracy 101. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Kernel wrote: »
    Meh, it's all about how you spin the logic, rationality and cogent arguments in order to make them seem the most logical, rational and cogent arguments. If you can't spin it enough, just keep repeating the lie, and sooner or later the 'majority' believe it and those who question it are wrong, of course. Conspiracy 101. ;)

Hey long time there kernel.

This is why I'm not a fan of 'truth' sites. They have a nasty habit of leaving out important facts that don't support what they are claiming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

meglome wrote: »
    Hey long time there kernel.

This is why I'm not a fan of 'truth' sites. They have a nasty habit of leaving out important facts that don't support what they are claiming.

Hello meglome, it has been a while. I hope you are well mate.

'Truth' sites leave out contradictory facts at times in order to further their own cause of course. But the much maligned 'mainstream media' do the same thing and also pander to their audiences. 2 sides of a coin. The media are too much obsessed with creating personalities and offering opinion than sticking to facts and remaining impartial.

Can any of you think of any equally cogent, logical and rational, yet opposing, arguments and wonder why you accept the argument you accept? If it's what most people accept, does it therefore appear more probable or acceptable to you? Maybe this is for a seperate thread, or maybe I'm becoming all psycho-babble lately! :)

Ha ha !! you guys don't like it, you know where the door is. Any CT forum can be considered a "truth" site. WTF are you doing here ? You don't seem very happy. Truth sites are essential. Even you two (guys) must be aware that governments all over the globe tell LIES, it is here where you find about about it. It doesn't do you any harm other than hurting your ego. Why are you so against it ? Unless it affects you directly, which it wouldnt if you were not here. You might ask me the same question.. My answer is.. I choose to be here and i am not complaining about it...

huh? If it's not relevant to conspiracy theories then who or what is it relevant to? And why did you post it?

Can anyone on this site actually speak English? I said not specifically related to CTs, but relevant nonetheless. I posted it as I've been called called 'Close-minded' by proponents of CTs. Believing something without any hard facts and ignoring any evidence or arguments provided by opposing side is the very definition of close-mindedness.

Can anyone on this site actually speak English? I said not specifically related to CTs, but relevant nonetheless. I posted it as I've been called called 'Close-minded' by proponents of CTs. Believing something without any hard facts and ignoring any evidence or arguments provided by opposing side is the very definition of close-mindedness.

If some people here have trouble understanding you, the problem probably lies with you, in fact, I would go so far as to say it definitely does. First it's relevant, then it's not. You have no idea who really believes what or how much evidevce they do or don't have. Snap out of it.

related - being connected either logically or causally or by shared characteristics

relevant - having a bearing on or connection with the subject at issue;

related - being connected either logically or causally or by shared characteristics

Eat cock you dozy ****ing sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LOL, Sorry but LOL

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

:rolleyes:

Main Entry: relevant Part of Speech: adjective Definition: appropriate; to the purpose Synonyms: accordant, ad rem, admissible, allowable, applicable, applicatory, apposite, appurtenant, apt, becoming, cognate, compatible, concerning, conformant, conforming, congruent, congruous, consistent, consonant, correlated, correspondent, fit, fitting, germane, harmonious, having direct bearing on, having to do with, important, material, on the button, on the nose, pat, pertaining to, pertinent, pointful, proper, referring, related, relative, significant, suitable, suited, to the point, weighty

Are you going to continually misinterpret that single, simple English sentence or respond to any of the points I raised or any of the points in the video?

This was posted by Blue Lagoon over in US Politics and I thought it was relevant to here. Just how smart was the Bush government.
    Depends upon how you define "smart," given that Bush-Cheney took office when the country was at peace, was beginning to reverse the federal deficit, and the equity markets had been growing for several years.

When Bush-Cheney left office in January 2009, the federal deficit had almost doubled, the country was in the worst recession since the Great Depression, the equity markets had lost half their value, housing foreclosures were reaching record proportions, the biggest bank failure in US history had occurred (Washington Mutual), and they had started two wars that had been ongoing without resolution for several years. If that defines "smart," I would hate to see what defines incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

--Kaiser--, what do you think of the following statement?

"you're either for us or against us"

Do you think your sh!tty little video makes any more sense than the above statement?

Ironically, Awake1 was banned for trolling..

Ironically, Awake1 was banned for trolling..

Awake1 got banned for personally abusing people on a number of occasions. He'd been asked nicely to stop. Not the actual topic though.

--kaiser-- wrote:

i checked out some debunking websites before and the authors merely offered an alternative hypothesis, no actual evidence there either unless you'd like to show me some concrete examples?

Kernel wrote: »
    Hello meglome, it has been a while. I hope you are well mate.

'Truth' sites leave out contradictory facts at times in order to further their own cause of course. But the much maligned 'mainstream media' do the same thing and also pander to their audiences. 2 sides of a coin. The media are too much obsessed with creating personalities and offering opinion than sticking to facts and remaining impartial.

Can any of you think of any equally cogent, logical and rational, yet opposing, arguments and wonder why you accept the argument you accept? If it's what most people accept, does it therefore appear more probable or acceptable to you? Maybe this is for a seperate thread, or maybe I'm becoming all psycho-babble lately! :)

Yeah I'm good.

There is good and bad media out there, mainstream and non-mainstream. I mean Fox is a great example of a media company that will happily spin a story. I still say though that the mainstream media is far better at fact checking as a whole (and certainly as a story unfolds) than the non-mainstream media. Many of the 'truth' sites know full well they are leaving out important information which will contradict the theory they are pushing. Like Fox they are starting with a point of view then spinning the facts (or leaving out facts) to fit that view. Sure Fox are not alone in the mainstream media for doing that but all those sites supposedly championing 'truth' then blatantly ignoring the truth really pee me off.
    i checked out some debunking websites before and the authors merely offered an alternative hypothesis, no actual evidence there either unless you'd like to show me some concrete examples?

So you're ignoring the NIST reports?

meglome wrote: »
    Awake1 got banned for personally abusing people on a number of occasions. He'd been asked nicely to stop. Not the actual topic though.

Debunking websites don't actually offer anything more substantial than truther websites.

When i kept reading on here about all the 9/11 myths that had been debunked, being naturally curious, i checked out some sites.

There was really nothing more worthwhile reading debunking websites than on truther websites.

The 'evidence' apparently was just an opinion...that was it and Kaiser seems to think this has more weight than a CT.

Debunking websites don't actually offer anything more substantial than truther websites.

When i kept reading on here about all the 9/11 myths that had been debunked, being naturally curious, i checked out some sites.

There was really nothing more worthwhile reading debunking websites than on truther websites.

The evidence apparently was just an opinion...that was it and Kaiser seems to think this has more weight than a CT.

I think you're mistaken in that belief. Let's take the pentagon attack for example, the debunking sites and some of the CT sites will show in detail why it was an AA jet that hit the building.

ok, could you please give me url to specific example?

meglome wrote:
    So you're ignoring the NIST reports?

NIST refused to release a lot of evidence related to 9/11 until this year.

can you explain why it took a court case to force NIST into releasing their evidence?

for example, the following video is "new evidence" CNN discussing a 3rd explosion.

i never knew this was reported before.

ok, could you please give me url to specific example?

From a CT site: http://911research.wtc7.net/talks/noplane/index.html
    From a 'debunking' site: http://www.911myths.com/html/pentagon.html

I've yet to see anyone explain all this away, not even close.
    NIST refused to release a lot of evidence related to 9/11 until this year.

can you explain why it took a court case to force NIST into releasing their evidence?

The question would be is it normal for all evidence to be released immediately. The answer to which is no.
    for example, the following video is "new evidence" CNN discussing a 3rd explosion.

i never knew this was reported before.

... video snip...

I may be sounding like a broken record to some people here but absolutely no one is saying there were no sounds like explosions. Personally in my life I have heard numerous things that sounded like explosions but only twice was this caused by explosives. What do you think the plane hits sounded like? What do you think the debris hitting the ground sounded like? How many things do you think might explode in a big fire in a big building? I really cannot understand the issue. Are the people in the video who described 'explosions' also claiming they were caused by explosives? (Not as far as I can tell) How many of the NYFD firefighters are supporting the CT? (It's none btw).

• Advertisement

meglome wrote:
    I may be sounding like a broken record to some people here but absolutely no one is saying there were no sounds like explosions. Personally in my life I have heard numerous things that sounded like explosions but only twice was this caused by explosives. What do you think the plane hits sounded like? What do you think the debris hitting the ground sounded like? How many things do you think might explode in a big fire in a big building? I really cannot understand the issue. Are the people in the video who described 'explosions' also claiming they were caused by explosives?

FAQ #2

Video evidence also showed unambiguously that the collapse progressed from the top to the bottom, and there was no evidence (collected by NIST, or by the New York Police Department, the Port Authority Police Department or the Fire Department of New York) of any blast or explosions in the region below the impact and fire floors as the top building sections (including and above the 98th floor in WTC 1 and the 82nd floor in WTC 2) began their downward movement upon collapse initiation.

Hearing the testimony of firefighters in that video, the above NIST statement is clearly a contradiction would you not agree?

Advertisement