Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate engineers work placement programme

Options
  • 21-10-2010 2:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hey all,

Engineers Ireland has organised with the OPW to offer 10 paid work placements with the OPW

The positions will be for three years.

Follow the link for more details on the positions and how to apply.

http://members.engineersireland.ie/networking/opening.asp?id=86518

Best of luck!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

That's great - fair play...dont know what the hell they're going to be designing though!! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That's great - fair play...dont know what the hell they're going to be designing though!! :eek:

Engineers dont just design. There is a lot more of them to do

Look at the NRA. Going from road builders to road maintainers.

Also look at the spec for what is on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Only saw this now. Will be applying immediately!

Looks like a fantastic opportunity to build up some experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

good oppurtunity with good pay, the pay is around what a graduate would have expected in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 engereena

Hi EngIreland

I have an interview for the above next week and I very stupidly did not save the job descriptions and details (which are no longer on the engineers Ireland website, or anywhere on the internet for that matter...) and I just want to be exact when doing extra research etc for the interview.

Would you have it? It would be very much appreciated!!!

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ditchdigger

engereena wrote: »
    Hi EngIreland

I have an interview for the above next week and I very stupidly did not save the job descriptions and details (which are no longer on the engineers Ireland website, or anywhere on the internet for that matter...) and I just want to be exact when doing extra research etc for the interview.

Would you have it? It would be very much appreciated!!!

Many thanks

Hey Engereena,

I applied for one of these positions too. I have saved the description on my work pc, will send in a pm to you tomorrow.

Which one of the sections did you apply for? Mech& Elec, Civil& Struc or Flood & Coastal Design?

ditchdigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Flancrest Enterprises

Hi ditchdigger,

Could u send me the description on the Civil & Struct in a pm please

Many thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭EngIreland

Hey Guys,

Hey Guys,

Please see job description below.

I hope this is what you are looking for?

Best of luck

The Training Scheme is designed for graduates who have completed an Engineers Ireland accredited level 8 degree course in engineering since 2008.
    Applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae, by email only and named "Graduate Placement Training Programme OPW 2010 " to the following addresses:

[/LIST]
    GRADUATE ENGINEERS WORK PLACEMENT TRAINING PROGRAMME
    Engineers Ireland is inviting applications for the Graduate Engineers Work Placement Training Programme. The training programme, sponsored by the Office of Public Works (OPW), provides an opportunity for 10 Graduate Engineers to gain engineering work experience during the placement period of 3 years.
    Graduate Placement Opportunities

OPW Engineering Services provides a range of services across the spectrum of engineering disciplines to Government bodies, academic institutions, private sector professionals and the general public. These services include the following:-

• Lead responsibility for flood risk management
    • Maintenance of arterial drainage and embankment schemes
    • Investigation, survey, design and construction of flood relief schemes
    • Monitoring of maintenance by Local Authorities of Drainage Districts schemes
    • Provision of Civil and Structural engineering advice, design and construction services
    • Provision of Mechanical and Electrical engineering advice, design and project management services
    • Collection and dissemination of hydrometric data
    • Regulation of works to watercourses including bridges and weirs
    • Commissioned work for other Government Departments and State Agencies
    • Provision of a design and fabrication service
    • Procurement and maintenance of plant and equipment Flood Risk Management
    Flood Risk Assessment and Management Section:(4 placements)
    This Section is responsible for the Flood Risk Assessment and Management Planning Programme, which includes the assessment and mapping of flood hazard and risk, and the preparation of flood risk management plans in partnership with Local Authorities to meet the requirements of national policy and the EU ‘Floods’ Directive. It is also responsible for the national Flood Hazard Mapping Programme, including management of the flood hazard mapping website.

Flood Relief Design Section: (1 placement)

This Section provides a technical design and advisory service on matters relating to flood relief for the Engineering Services Business Unit of the OPW, Local Authorities and other Government Departments.
    The Section also has responsibilities for the development of detailed flood forecasting systems. The Section provides a technical advisory service to the Dept. of Environment, Heritage and Local Government and the Planning Authorities in relation to the consideration of flood risk in spatial planning and development management, to support the effective implementation of the Guidelines on the Planning System and Flood Risk Management (2009).

Mechanical Engineering Field Section: (1 placement)

Mechanical Engineering Field Services provide professional services and advice dealing with the selection, utilisation, replacement and maintenance of plant and transport. M.E.F.S. manage the mechanical assets and requirements of the Arterial Drainage Maintenance Section. M.E.F.S. provide professional services and advice for other O.P.W. business units and other Government Departments as requested within the constraints of the resources provided.

Coastal Protection Section :(1 placement)

The functions and responsibilities in relation to coastal protection are the provision of an advisory service in relation to coastal erosion and coastal flooding. The section prepares an annual coastal protection funding programmes and project manages specified priority coastal protection measures and studies in priority risk areas. Risk assessments associated with coastal flooding and erosion are undertaken, and further development of the Irish Coastal Protection Strategy Study (ICPSS) and Policy is planned.

Professional Engineering Services
    Mechanical and Electrical Services:(2 placements)

Mechanical and Electrical Services provides a quality consulting and advisory service in the area of mechanical, electrical and energy related engineering leveraging expertise and experience of best practice. The client list is similar to that of Civil & Structural Engineering Services with the added dimension of a close working relationship with Property Maintenance Service in the OPW and the individual Government Departments.

Civil & Structural Engineering Services:(1 placement)

Civil & Structural Engineering Services provides a design, advisory, surveying and supervisory service on construction related matters to Engineering Services, Architectural Services, Project Management and the Property Services sections of the OPW and to other Government Departments.
    The engineers in the section operate as part of the design team on a project in a similar way as consultant engineers. They are involved in major projects, from the preparatory stage until the completion of site operations.
    Locations

Successful graduates may be placed at one of the following locations within Engineering Services.

• OPW, Trim, Co. Meath
    • OPW, 17-19 Lr Hatch Street, Dublin 2
    • OPW, 52 St. Stephens Green, Dublin 2

That's it exactly, many thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zoolander1

Is the closing date gone for sending in CV's?

Can't seem to see anything on the web for it.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, the deadline for applications was the 8th Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Anyone hear back about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 obnoxious

I didn't hear anything back from them apart from the initial acknowledgement.

TBH I think it's bad form that they didn't update all candidates one way or another. They could send an e-mail saying they are still reviewing applications or they have completed their shortlisting so PFO.

I thought that given the fact that most of us are probably members of Engineers Ireland they would have been able to treat us with at least the courtesy of an update. Perhaps not.

Hey,

Will try to get some updated information for you on this.

To be honest, they were still reviewing applications last week, such was the interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I didn't apply for the programme, but to be honest, most companies seem to feel they are now entitled to treat people like rubbish when it comes to applications for jobs.
    I don't care how many applications companies get, they know what the market is like and should know what to expect by now. To me, it's the height of rudeness and totally unprofessional to just ignore people.....
    Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Applied for this myself.

Obviously got nothing back.

Can't help but wonder. Did well in college, had relevant projects, a bit of experience, but they call people who didn't even have the smarts to save the notice (no offence).

Jobs already taken by friends/ family/ connections I think.

Sick and tired of this stupid, corrupt country. Will have to emmigrate for a long time I think.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jobs already taken by friends/ family/ connections I think.

If they are still reviewing applications give them a chance. Dont jump to conclusions just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Heard back. No interview.

I thought that I was so suited I'd at least get an interview.

Gutted doesn't even come close.

I said if I got an interview, I'd keep trying, thinking poritive. To another country and another life after Xmas now.

It's tough to keep positive alright. I think going abroad and getting some good experience is the best option for most at the moment.

FWIW I know a couple of people that got interviews. One of them has no connections or anything.
    The other openly admitted asking someone he knew to help him get an interview. Not sure if it had any bearing on his application.
    Can't really say I blame him, we all have to do what we can with the way things are. But it is frustrating.

obnoxious wrote: »
    It's tough to keep positive alright. I think going abroad and getting some good experience is the best option for most at the moment.

FWIW I know a couple of people that got interviews. One of them has no connections or anything.
    The other openly admitted asking someone he knew to help him get an interview. Not sure if it had any bearing on his application.
    Can't really say I blame him, we all have to do what we can with the way things are. But it is frustrating.

Engineers Ireland are the employer here not IR so dont see how an IR contact could influence any job application

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Engineers Ireland are the employer here not IR so dont see how an IR contact could influence any job application

IR contact?? Did you mean OPW?

I never specified where the contact is.

Sorry confused with the other Engineers Ireland graduate placement program. What I said applies to both though

any more news EngIreland? Had interview but didn't hear back... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cotzie32

Hey,

Just wondering has anyone heard back from the Iarnrod Eireann scheme yet?
    I did not get the OPW interview, does anyone know how many were called?
    How many get called for the Iarnrod Eireann and when will you know?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DAZZ83

hey i had an interview for the iarnrod eireann postions today, didnt go to great for me to be honest i got a bit flustered with a question i was asked and kind of got a bit side tracked i think it all went abit pete thong after that...HATE interviews:mad:....i think i heard there were 36 people being called for interview but cant be certain, i feel i didnt get the postion anyway :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

What were the questions like out of interest? Role play or more direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pmg001

DAZZ83 wrote: »
    hey i had an interview for the iarnrod eireann postions today, didnt go to great for me to be honest i got a bit flustered with a question i was asked and kind of got a bit side tracked i think it all went abit pete thong after that...HATE interviews:mad:....i think i heard there were 36 people being called for interview but cant be certain, i feel i didnt get the postion anyway :(:(

As a matter of interest, I didn't get called for interview so I'm just wondering what do you think differentiated your application from the others so that you got called for interview? Did you get a 1.1? Do you have loads of experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drumcooley

engereena wrote: »
    any more news EngIreland? Had interview but didn't hear back... :confused:

I had an interveiw as well did anyone hear anything back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Sigh... Another PFO, this time from Iarnrod Eireann :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lads it may be worth your while getting people to look at your cv's and cover note

Advertisement