Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I dress like Met Police - Am I impersonating a Garda?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Fair point alright spartan - go up to a Guardia Civil in Spain or Carabineiri in Italy and see how they would react to having their photo taken with you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I actually never noticed that to be honest. I'm not much of a Motorbike fanatic now, but quickly glancing, unless i seen the reflective stickers or blue light, I wouldn't even notice a garda bike behind me.

If i was in a car and heard a siren, i'd instinctively look for a car, or failing that, an ambulance or fire truck. :confused: Is that a bit odd?

thats why so many bikers are in accidents ....because cagers (people in cars) cant see them ..... even when they have lights on...high vis jackets and reflective stickers.

its extremely common for someone in a car not to notice a biker ....they dont care about objects smaller than their car so only look for other cars, trucks, busses etc etc.....every time theres a crash between a biker and a car the driver says - I didnt see him/her ....of course they didnt !!! ...they usually dont even look for them.

*I'm not a biker - but the GF is and she's been knocked down twice (once by a taxi making a U-turn - she was prob travelling 15-20mph when he did his turn in front of her and it was the slapping on the brakes and impact which made her go head over heels and suffer 9 slipped discs in her neck and spine (and she didn't sue - 5yrs later she's still in pain)
    - second time she was knocked down was by a provisional driver who decided traffic was too heavy and he was going to make a U-turn and go a different route ...he pulled out as she was about to overtake - she tried to pull out of his way but he clipped her and down she went....he admitted straight away he didnt even look in his mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

delancey42 wrote: »
    Fair point alright spartan - go up to a Guardia Civil in Spain or Carabineiri in Italy and see how they would react to having their photo taken with you :eek:

Ive been to both of those countries and I dont even make eye contact with them if I see them never mind ask for a photo....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

... go up to a Guardia Civil in Spain or Carabineiri in Italy and see how they would react to having their photo taken with you :eek:

yeah! having seen those guys in operation, I wouldn't even J-walk in-front of them never mind ask them to stand in for a picture. Serious, serious operators.

Does anyone think that the guards here are too flexible/too agreeable then in comparison to their approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Does anyone think that the guards here are too flexible/too agreeable then in comparison to their approach?

AGS have it just right imo. It's an Irish thing really, our personalities are different. Also, the first police were Irish.. so it's in the DNA!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

yeah! having seen those guys in operation, I wouldn't even J-walk in-front of them never mind ask them to stand in for a picture. Serious, serious operators.

You haven't met my hubby obviously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

angelfire9 wrote: »
    You haven't met my hubby obviously :D

meaning :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

no no no, unless you are wearing a garda uniform , you are okay, please do not stop traffic in met uniform or yoyu will be arrested and charged. surprising how manly [EMAIL="i@X@ts"]i@X@ts[/EMAIL] do >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

meaning :confused:

He's a grumpy git :D

go up to a Guardia Civil in Spain or Carabineiri in Italy and see how they would react to having their photo taken with you :eek:

Lord knows I've tried!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Have approached both agencies and had pictures taken with both without issue.

Guardia civil were a little stand offish until I showed my ID but the Carabineiri have an international reputation for being open and friendly with everyone while being very popular with Italian citizens. Note he last linnk I provide which refers to them serving in Iraq. Why tarnish them like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_Italy#Arma_dei_Carabinieri

http://my.lifeinitaly.com/threads/4635-Polizia-o-Carabinieri?p=16878#post16878

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-faithful-italian-carabinieri-a20278

http://www.romefile.com/information/polizia.php
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=znIXMHFDyakC&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=Carabinieri+approachable&source=bl&ots=q4GgaEkwTD&sig=nERxOsH9wVNbwELxHGw6HXruNX8&hl=en&ei=0WQOTcb0OcPKhAednpi3Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Carabinieri%20approachable&f=false

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I seen an old style female garda uniform for sale, in an antique shop. Is it against the law to own? Not planning to dress up in it :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

chem wrote: »
    I seen an old style female garda uniform for sale, in an antique shop. Is it against the law to own? Not planning to dress up in it :P:D

Yes it is, apart for implying you are a Garda, it is theft (or handling stolen property) as a Garda uniform always remains property of the state.

Advertisement