Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountain way

Options
  • 20-10-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

did anybody walk the dublin mountain way from tallaght to shankill? how long did it take you? is it doable in one day?
    thanks for help
    s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,

did anybody walk the dublin mountain way from tallaght to shankill? how long did it take you? is it doable in one day?
    thanks for help
    s

Already a thread open on this. Can this be merged in please?

It was shown as being done on TV recently but it was contrived I think. I don't think they actually walked in the day. If you were very fit you could do it. Might consider walk / running it some time - though the road bits around Kilternan put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Already a thread open on this. Can this be merged in please?

It was shown as being done on TV recently but it was contrived I think. I don't think they actually walked in the day. If you were very fit you could do it. Might consider walk / running it some time - though the road bits around Kilternan put me off.

yep there was no way the couple on tv did it in one day

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

i dont feel this should be merged with existing thread, since the new route has been published surely we should have a new thread too, with opinions and views on the new route.
    I think its a very welcomed addition to dublin although i would agree with the other posters on the stretches that are on roads, very dangerous, probably best left undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm not going to merge this, it would break the flow of both threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

ok given that it might take 2 days to complete where would be a good, quiet and safe place to camp over night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

foolelle wrote: »
    ok given that it might take 2 days to complete where would be a good, quiet and safe place to camp over night?

Somewhere around the tors of the three rock? I've occasionally seen tents pitched up there in the mornings and the tors would offer some protection from the wind. I would'nt camp down in any of the woods or trees along the route - i'd be wary of skangers, scrots and cider parties...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What distance is it from Tallaght to Shankill?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stark wrote: »
    What distance is it from Tallaght to Shankill?

as per other thread, they estimate on their site it's 43k and 13.5-17hrs or so of walking.

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/index.php?id=151

Don't see anyone walking it in one day, except in the middle of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Walked the DMW today from Shankill to the Pine Forest (approximate halfway point by my reckoning). Some thoughts:

Initial section from Shankill to The Scalp is, with some reservations, very enjoyable. Love the way they use the lanes behind Brady's to get you out of Shankill and over the M50 really quickly. Within less than 10 minutes you're on quiet roads and lanes and it feels like you're in the country.

My main reservation with this section is the route through Carrickgollogan Wood. It's a pretty boring stretch - really they should have devised a route that would take in the summit of Carrickgollogan and also the Ballycorus Lead Mines chimney.

They've altered the route at Barnaslingan again since my last report. You now don't go all the way out to the lookout point over The Scalp but turn away just short of it. I know I said I thought this section was a bit confusing when I reported on it previously but I didn't think their solution would be to skip that bit. :( The route down through the trees to the road remains inadequately waymarked. There's a few very soggy sections of the path along here as well that could do with a bit of maintenance.

From The Scalp you're on a lengthy stretch of road walking. There is a path all the way from The Scalp to Kilternan. After this you're on the road facing the traffic. The initial stretch from Kilternan is very narrow with several totally blind corners (most of the cars approaching these corners had to sound their horns to alert oncoming traffic (and hikers!) to their presence). Even banking on the public holiday and the marathon keeping traffic down, I still encountered quite a few cars. It does improve after a few km but frankly this section is totally unsafe and I would not recommend walking it.

Eventually you get into Ticknock Forest and the best stretch of the Way, taking in Three Rock, Fairy Castle, Tibradden and the Pine Forest. As you walk the Three Walk to Fairy Castle section it is somewhat galling to realise you are largely doubling back on your route from Glencullen. The trails around Fairy Castle get worse with every passing year and it is now time for Dublin Mountains Partnership/Mountain Meitheal to perform serious trail remediation here.

Timings:
    Shankill to The Scalp (exit to R117): 90 minutes
    The Scalp to Glencullen (Johnny Fox's): 60 minutes
    Glencullen to Three Rock summit: 60 minutes
    Three Rock to Fairy Castle: 45 minutes
    Fairy Castle to Tibradden (prehistoric cairn): 45 minutes
    Tibradden to Pine Forest (DMW map board at entrance): 30 minutes

With a stop for lunch on Three Rock, total time 6 hours. Distance: 24.6 km.

Completed the DMW today between the Pine Forest and Tallaght. Some more thoughts:

Taking the spur route, took the long way through Massy's (which is a riot of autumn colours at the moment) and the short way to the summit of the Hell Fire Club. Then took the long route back off the Hell Fire Club and the short route back through Massy's (short route is not waymarked but took path indicated on the map on the DMP website.

Arriving at Dogging Point Viewing Point, the first of several waymarking issues manifests itself: no waymarker to indicate what direction to take. Reverting to the map, I find my way to the entrance to the Featherbed Forest. No waymarker on the road to point to the entrance although there is one about 10m or so inside the entrance.

The route through the Featherbed Forest is quite fun: the way though the dense knot of trees is marked with yellow blazes sprayed onto the tree trunks. Being somewhat preprogrammed to look for “walking man” signs at this stage it took me a few seconds to realise this; maybe a sign to follow the yellow marks might be in order.

Loads of road walking once you emerge from the Featherbed Forest. No apparent reason as to why a path can't go up over Piperstown Hill from this side – are there farms on the other side? Entire area seems to serve as an unofficial rubbish tip with plastic bags and junk strewn all about the place. Roads are very quiet though and the scenery is nice.

More waymarking problems:
    • The waymarker at the exit from the Featherbed Forest onto the road has been knocked over: hard to say if vandalism or hit by careless driver;
    • The waymarker at the junction at grid reference O 108 231 has been snapped off its base: again hard to tell if deliberate or accidental;
    • There are no waymarkers on the junctions at grid references O 098 227 and O 103 219
    As a general note on the waymarking: DMP say they want the DMW to be one of the national waymarked ways but in order to meet the requirements of the Waymarked Ways Advisory Commitee, the road sections need to be marked with brown roadsigns not walking man waymarkers.

The new route through Kiltipper Park is nothing to write home about: just a rough gravel track through a field. Presume over time as they develop the park it will improve. It would be better if they could run the path along the bank of the Dodder.

The Way re-enters civilisation at Kiltipper passing though some truly awful Celtic Tiger era housing.

Couldn't figure out the last section. The map says the Way enters Sean Walsh Park and there is a waymarker along the Kiltipper Way at an entrance to the park but the gate is closed and locked. I just continued along the Kiltipper Way until I got to the trailhead which is marked with a mapboard and a fancy stone commemorating the opening of the way. The trailhead is located in a not at all attractive bottle bank – why not at the footbridge leading into the park from The Square? The first arrow at the trailhead points into the park to a path that comes to a halt after about 10 metres because there is no bridge over the stream that crosses the park at this point.

I know the Way isn't officially open but with less that 24 hours to go you'd think all this would be sorted.

Timings:
    Cruagh Wood to Massy Woods (entrance at hairpin bend over Glendoo Brook): 50 minutes
    Massy Woods to Hell Fire Club (summit trig pillar): 80 minutes
    Hell Fire Club to Viewing Point: 75 minutes
    Viewing Point to St Ann's Graveyard: 80 minutes
    St Ann's Graveyard to Fort Bridge: 45 minutes
    Fort Bridge to Tallaght: 40 minutes

With a stop for lunch, total time 6 hours 25 minutes. Distance: 25.8km

• Advertisement

Feature on the opening today on the 6-1 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Why is this being launched in November?

Surely a big media launch should be done in April/May when the weather is getting better and the days longer. Its now getting darker and wetter by the day!

The official Dublin Mountains Way map is now available to buy on the EastWest Mapping website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Feature on the opening today on the 6-1 news.
    Thanks. (Missed it and my internet connection's too crappy to view replay - I'm looking at you, O2...)
    Judge wrote: »
    The official Dublin Mountains Way map is now available to buy on the EastWest Mapping website.
    Beat me to it :pac:

Meanwhile, there's a nice (and amusing) entry for the Way in EvertTrail from Joe King http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=869581

Judge wrote: »

Got mine in the post today. Lots of places where you see a circuitous road section that could have been lessened / bettered by a trail section, or a less travelled road :(:confused:

Got mine in the post today. Lots of places where you see a circuitous road section that could have been lessened / bettered by a trail section, or a less travelled road :(:confused:

I presume you mean the whole route from Barnacullia to the Scalp? You can blame private access and contested rights of way for that problem (for the most part).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 macd

Fi Folks, A group of us ran the new DMW from Tallaght to Tiknock on Sunday as part of the launch..weather conditions and visibility up there wasn`t the best on the day but we had a good laugh and enjoyed it ! Ths section is about 26km

There are still some waymarking issues on the Featherbed forest and its very wet in there, but we're told this is being sorted out.

Good maps for the route are available on www.dublinmountains.ie

dogmatix wrote: »
    I presume you mean the whole route from Barnacullia to the Scalp? You can blame private access and contested rights of way for that problem (for the most part).

Yep. And at the other end too, near Glenosmole where it could have cut across a bit of a hill but instead heads up a road, across another road and back down a road. I'm given to understand that access will continue to be sought to improve the way, so maybe it'll evolve for the better over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

does dublin bus go anywhere near the trail?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    does dublin bus go anywhere near the trail?

14, 14A, 16, 48A and 75 all pass through Ballinteer. 16 terminus at the top of Woodpark would be closet to the trail. Anywhere from 45m to 1h 15m to get onto the trail (depending on walking speed).

44 and 44A runs through Stepaside (for Barnaculla - use the fernhill tunnel to get onto the trail) and Kilternan.

• Advertisement

dogmatix wrote: »
    14, 14A, 16, 48A and 75 all pass through Ballinteer. 16 terminus at the top of Woodpark would be closet to the trail. Anywhere from 45m to 1h 15m to get onto the trail (depending on walking speed).

44 and 44A runs through Stepaside (for Barnaculla - use the fernhill tunnel to get onto the trail) and Kilternan.

And the 44B which goes to Glencullen via Carthy's Green (where the Way enters Ticknock Forest).

You can also take the 161 to Rockbrook and walk up Cruagh Lane into Massy's Wood.

The 114 stops at the Lamb Doyles where you can climb up Three Rock from the track off the lane opposite the junction of Woodside Road and Slate Cabin Lane.

Edited to add: incidentally, the EastWest map isn't too hot on the locations of bus stops: the 161 does not go all the way up to the junction of Cruagh Lane and Corkscrew Road but turns down Tibradden Road and terminates at the roundabout at the foot of Kilmashogue Lane. Similarly, the 114 does not go up Ticknock Road but terminates at a housing estate off Blackglen Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Thanks for pointing that out - I have amended accordingly. Don't know how I ended up with a bus symbol on the Ticknock road :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

Hi all,

I can't access dublinmountains.ie due to work internet restrictions. Girlfriend and I are casual walkers, regularly do sugarloaf (from carpark so only takes 45mins or so). Can anyone recommend a trek (90 mins or so return). Drive the car to a spot (are there official car parks?), join a trail, 90 - 120mins later should bring us back around to starting point?

We're based in city centre so looking to not have to travel much further than the 30 mins it takes to get to Sugarloaf area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hello Asbo, the Dublin Mountains Way is a linear A-B route, though some would say, not a very direct linear route! You want a loop walk, starting & finishing same place? Signposted? You best bet might be to go to Ticknock carpark, follow the tarred road up towards the masts, join the Dublin Mtn Way - follow it over Fairy Castle, meet the Wicklow Way junction and turn north back down towards the city on this. When you meet a wide forest road below, turn right to bring you back around to your outward journey. Buy the DMP map at www.eastwestmapping.ie - this has all the trails and forest roads marked. Ideally however, you need to learn to read the map, make up your own circuits and loops - there are endless possibilities armed with the right info!! Trust this helps, Barry D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

ASBO wrote: »
    We're based in city centre so looking to not have to travel much further than the 30 mins it takes to get to Sugarloaf area.

Can't comment on the Dublin mountains, but how about kippure, you'd definitely be down there in about 30-40 mins from South Dublin. It has a nice track up the mountain to the summit, there's an RTE mast at the top.

Here's the directions from google maps to it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

ASBO wrote: »
    Hi all,

I can't access dublinmountains.ie due to work internet restrictions. Girlfriend and I are casual walkers, regularly do sugarloaf (from carpark so only takes 45mins or so). Can anyone recommend a trek (90 mins or so return). Drive the car to a spot (are there official car parks?), join a trail, 90 - 120mins later should bring us back around to starting point?

You could try Fairy Castle. You can park in the Ticknock car park and head up the hill, past Three Rock and up onto Fairy Castle. It's a short walk and it has a great view from the cairn at the top of two rock. If you look at the area on Google maps or one of maps they have posted up on the information boards in the car park, you'll see there's a load of forest tracks and paths around the area, so you can go up one route and down another without having to retrace your steps.

Another option is to set off from Tibradden car park, from which you have two options. You can follow the Dublin Mountains Way roughly West South West up onto Tibradden, which also has a nice view and a cairn, or you can cross the road and go the other direction up towards Cruagh. If you head towards Cruagh on the DMW, you'll see a turn off up some steps onto a boardwalk that takes you out off the forest tracks out onto open mountain, which can be nicer than walking on tracks.

There's also the Hellfire Club here, which, although a small enough forest, has lots of tracks. You'd probably struggle to spend 90 minutes walking there, though.

You could also head up Kippure. Although not particularly high or difficult, as it's the tallest peak around (tallest in County Dublin, I believe), the view is great on a good day. There's two ways up, the easy way along the RTÉ service road from here and the old bog road, starting from here. The bog road only brings you half way there; the rest is up a small track over boggy ground. Kippure can be very exposed in bad weather.

Another option is Crone Woods. There's a car park here, and there's a lot of options from there. There's lots of nice forest tracks that go quite a distance, if you're looking for an easy walk. For more of a challenge, you can either follow the mountain biking tracks straight up to Maulin (which is a bit of a slog, but well worth it for the view), then follow the old bog track down from the summit until you join the Wicklow Way which you can follow back to the car park, or you can set off on the Wicklow Way and head for Djouce. Neither of these options are much fun in bad weather as both peaks are exposed.

I think all of those shouldn't take (much) longer than half an hour to get to from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BeachMusic

Hi Donny5. Do you (or anyone else) know any shortcuts that I could take to avoid having to walk on the road in particular from the Scalp to Glencullen? A group of us plan to walk from Shankill to Tallaght (leaving out Hellfire club part) on Saturday. Apparently there are some off road trails marked but I don't know if access is allowed for walkers.

BeachMusic wrote: »
    Hi Donny5. Do you (or anyone else) know any shortcuts that I could take to avoid having to walk on the road in particular from the Scalp to Glencullen? A group of us plan to walk from Shankill to Tallaght (leaving out Hellfire club part) on Saturday. Apparently there are some off road trails marked but I don't know if access is allowed for walkers.

Nope - i've checked those trails out myself and although they are supposed to be rights of way, they are being contested by a local landowner and are currently closed to walkers. I think you are stuck with the main road for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

Thanks for the info folks.

Plenty to go with there.

ASBO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 BeachMusic

Thanks for your help Dogmatix.

Advertisement