Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Factory Reset - HTC Desire Running Froyo

Options
  • 20-10-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I've done a factory reset on my HTC Desire running Froyo, obviously this automatically deleted accounts (like gmail etc) and puts the phone in an "out of the box" condition.

However doing a factory reset doesn't delete anything off the SD card which is nearly full. I want to completely wipe the SD card too but before I do I have a few questions about the filing system on the SD. I have backed up my pictures and music but I was wondering:

• Where are text messages stored? If they are stored on the SD card how can 1. locate my old messages? and 2. make sure that they're visible in the same way as my new ones? i.e place them in the same folder. I use Handcent instead of the stock but I haven't reinstalled Handcent yet.
    • If text messages are stored on the internal memory, is it possible to store them on the SD card.

Thanks.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i think theres an app for that. not sure but i think its called "My Backup Pro" and it backs up all the PIM data

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

i think theres an app for that. not sure but i think its called "My Backup Pro" and it backs up all the PIM data

Correct it can backup data to SD card or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Best app (IMO) for backing up SMS is called "SMS Backup and Restore" (free in the Market). It allows you to back up all your SMS messages to an xml file on the SD card. After you factory reset, just reinstall the app and run the restore process. You can't set SMS messages to be stored on the SD card, but you can set this app to back them up there daily

However, since you've already done the reset, you can't get them back, they were wiped

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

28064212 wrote: »
    Best app (IMO) for backing up SMS is called "SMS Backup and Restore" (free in the Market). It allows you to back up all your SMS messages to an xml file on the SD card. After you factory reset, just reinstall the app and run the restore process. You can't set SMS messages to be stored on the SD card, but you can set this app to back them up there daily

However, since you've already done the reset, you can't get them back, they were wiped

Thanks fella, yeah mine are gone alright, I never thought of them before the reset. I'll use that app from now on though. Can you view the texts while backed up or do you have to restore them first?

It's strange that you can't use the SD card to store texts. Is this also the case with synced Gmail emails and and exchange emails? This is obviously the reason I couldn't reduce my internal memory and hence the main reason for the factory reset and meaning that there's no simple fix.

BTW, I was just googling and found the "Backup to Gmail" app, it backs up your mms and sms to Gmail, as a label.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

yekrallum wrote: »
    Thanks fella, yeah mine are gone alright, I never thought of them before the reset. I'll use that app from now on though. Can you view the texts while backed up or do you have to restore them first?
    You can view them either through the app, or you can copy the XML file produced to your PC and view it there.
    It's strange that you can't use the SD card to store texts. Is this also the case with synced Gmail emails and and exchange emails? This is obviously the reason I couldn't reduce my internal memory and hence the main reason for the factory reset and meaning that there's no simple fix.
    You would have to have a huge amount of texts and emails to make a difference. AFAIK, email attachments aren't stored on your phone, so it's all just text, which doesn't take up much space. Although personally, I don't use the gmail app at all, so I just deleted all local info and turned off sync. Anytime I want to view emails, I just use the browser.
    BTW, I was just googling and found the "Backup to Gmail" app, it backs up your mms and sms to Gmail, as a label.
    Yeah I use that as well. It's very handy for searching them on your PC instead of your phone. Pity there's no restore option though

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement