Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to bring my Kenyan friend to Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

That's a fair point King Victor, but it does not apply here.

This is a country where people who live in caravans are classified as an ethnic minority, as are people of the same race as Irish people but with a different accent.

Also, any form of national pride other than Irish republicanism is regarded as deeply suspect.

Those are the rules. You should have been given a leaflet explaining this on the way in.

Although I kinda disagree with you, nice one on the bolded part...made me laugh...in a genuine way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cobbe354 wrote: »
    Would you possibly consider moving over to Kenya to live there with your girlfriend? It would be a change i'd say, but when love comes into situations, alls fair.

Just a thought.
    The dole over there isn't as good as it is here.

western products are about the same price as here though local food is cheaper. As a labourer you could expect to make 100Ksh ( €1 ) a day, as hotel staff (english speaking) maybe €50 a month + tips but you would loose half that renting a room. A cheap room in a cheap hotel can be as low as €10 a night.

You would need a good job there before you go because apart from food and accomodation local wages won't leave much for the luxuries you are used to.

Social welfare will let you take a two week holiday and I've heard you can get flights for as low as €300 if you really shop around and react fast enough on special offers.

Ireland is one of the hardest countries to get a residency visa for if you are coming from a poor country. If you had the money it might be worth looking into her doing a course here and getting a student visa, but you would still need to prove that she has many reasons to go home when finished the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

There is NO dole here in Kenya.

I've been looking around for jobs here, ex-pat style jobs, but they are all very senior management & medical positions requiring lots of experience in the field. Most ex-pats arrange the job from Europe, unlike me who arrived jobless and then started looking for work, having to sort out my own working visas and accommodation etc. It's difficult.

What I really want to do is move back home and save up a lot of money, then come back to Kenya and start up a business.

I've been away from Ireland almost a year now, I left Ireland Nov 3rd 2009. Is it possible to claim the dole when I get back?

Advertisement