Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History and Structure of Irish Education Exam for foreign-trained teacher

• 18-10-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey

I'm wondering if anyone has notes or study material for the History and Structure of Irish Education Exam that the Teaching Council set?

DM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I have 19 pages of typed notes you can have if you pm me your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EmmaRos

Liam,

I too am looking for information on this History exam. Is there any way you could mail me those notes too if that was ok, would be such a help!

done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 L.Young

I have to sit this exam soon too! Could I get a copy of those notes as well please?

sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 dmmcfaul

Sure

PM me and I'll email them to you.

Don't stress out too much about it though the exam has a really high pass rate. I was really worried about not passing it I felt really unprepared but I got on fine. Know about your own subject (which you already do) & just learn the dates of the history of education stuff and string that essay together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ronja raeubertochter

I have to sit. This exam soon too... could you also sent me those notes? Thanks a million!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alni

Hi guys

i too am sitting the exam next month. Does anyone still have their notes from previous ones?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NoelleTh

Any chance I could get the notes too? Feeling very unprepared...anyone else think a €100 is awfully steep for it? The TC have me broke!

NoelleTh wrote: »
    Any chance I could get the notes too? Feeling very unprepared.

PM me an email address.
    ...anyone else think a €100 is awfully steep for it? The TC have me broke!

€93 euro I think.
    It wasnt too bad til they did away with the tax relief on it, it was a professional expense then.

Now I see it as another tax to fund a government quango who do feck all except send out expensive bits of paper asking us for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

Could I please have a copy of those notes too? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mont Blanc

Would it be possible to also get a copy of the notes for the History & Structure exam? I appreciate that it is a lot to ask but it would be a great help to me. I had a look at the reading list, printed off some of the articles but I still am no clearer with regard to what is actually required! Any help at all would be fantastic. Does anyone know what the pass rate for the exam is, btw? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RxxxCxxxTxxx

Hi, I have notes I can help u with. If you sent me your email address I will gladly sent them on to you. All I did for this exam was looked at the exam questetion and learned the pack of notes I will sent you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NoelleTh

I have notes too that I have no problem sending on just DM me an email address! I heard that it was a 95% pass rate but I don't know how true this is but I have to admit it wasn't one of my better exams and I still passed....I've said this before but I think its just a bit of a money making racket on the TCs behalf!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mont Blanc

Thank you so much for your help. I had read somewhere that the pass rate was 90% and started to freak out! The good advice and the notes will be great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ohawls

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has notes or study material for the History and Structure of Irish Education Exam that the Teaching Council set each year?

OH

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have notes too that I have no problem sending on just DM me an email address! I heard that it was a 95% pass rate but I don't know how true this is but I have to admit it wasn't one of my better exams and I still passed....I've said this before but I think its just a bit of a money making racket on the TCs behalf!

Why? Those that do a teacher training degree/dip in Ireland have this module as part of their course and do not need to do this exam. Those that do their training elsewhere do not meet requirements for working within the Irish education system without studying this module.

I think €100 is very reasonable. People have to be paid to correct exams, people have to be paid to supervise exams. Whatever other costs are associated with running the exams (hiring exam venue perhaps?).

The TC could wash their hands of this and say register with a university and pay the fees to the college and study a suitable module with them and then we'll assess it and see if you are eligible. That way the college and the TC would make money, it would be a lengthy process. A student would then have to pay a registration fee to a college, a fee for the module and then probably pay the TC for assessing their qualification. This way is straightforward and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Why? Those that do a teacher training degree/dip in Ireland have this module as part of their course and do not need to do this exam. Those that do their training elsewhere do not meet requirements for working within the Irish education system without studying this module.

Everyone knows the module itself is a complete waste of time. It has no bearing whatsoever on teaching in a practical sense its just a filler/box ticker. I qualified in the UK where the PGCE training takes a much more hands on practical approach then the Irish system (I also worked in teacher training third level here in Ireland so have experience of both).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

wingnut wrote: »
    Everyone knows the module itself is a complete waste of time. It has no bearing whatsoever on teaching in a practical sense its just a filler/box ticker. I qualified in the UK where the PGCE training takes a much more hands on practical approach then the Irish system (I also worked in teacher training third level here in Ireland so have experience of both).

I found it interesting enough when I did it so I don't think it was a waste. It may not be useful in the day to day stuff that goes on in the classroom with the students but it is good to know how the educational institutions that exist came about. There are posts on here every now and again where people are asking about jobs and asking the differences between VEC and secondary schools, and don't know the difference between the two. A few too many lectures in history and structure missed perhaps???

My original point anyway was that the cost of €100 was OK it comparison to the hoops the TC could have set up to do the module/exam become recognised as a fully qualified teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lmulvihill1

Hi guys I know this post is old but I too now have to sit this exam because I qualified in the UK so stupid and costly but I could really do with some help on notes etc, I bought the book they suggested but it would put you to sleep and it's huge yawn anyone got anything that doesn't come to daunting. How did you all do?

• Advertisement

Pm me your email address and ill forward you on my notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ohawls

Hi guys I know this post is old but I too now have to sit this exam because I qualified in the UK so stupid and costly but I could really do with some help on notes etc, I bought the book they suggested but it would put you to sleep and it's huge yawn anyone got anything that doesn't come to daunting. How did you all do?

Send me a PM of your email address and ill forward you on notes I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lmck660

ohawls wrote: »

Ohawls, would you mind sending me your notes too please? I am the same boat, trained and taught in England for 6 years and have now moved home so will be doing the exam in November. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

L x

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I think €100 is very reasonable. People have to be paid to correct exams, people have to be paid to supervise exams. Whatever other costs are associated with running the exams (hiring exam venue perhaps?).

The TC could wash their hands of this and say register with a university and pay the fees to the college and study a suitable module with them and then we'll assess it and see if you are eligible. That way the college and the TC would make money, it would be a lengthy process. A student would then have to pay a registration fee to a college, a fee for the module and then probably pay the TC for assessing their qualification. This way is straightforward and cheap.
    Does anyone think that the lack of this knowledge / qualification seriously hinders overseas qualified teachers ?
    This is just a piece of gatekeeping. Half the teachers in the country wouldn't pass this if they had to take it again. The British accepted Irish teachers without any culture / history requirements. We need a better and more open entry route into the profession with a CPD structure in summer if people need to add on bits of qualifications be those in maths or in education history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meggy88

sent
    hi, i am sitting this exam in nov and I cannot find anything to study off, I would really appreciate notes on this exam, my email is <snip email address - please reply by PM>

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meggy88

ohawls wrote: »
    Hi Ohawls, I would really appreciate your notes aswell, if that was possible....just really want to pass this last hurdle so i can be done with the teaching council

my email is
    <snip>

mod: Come on folks, the OP says 'PM me your email', it's not that difficult an instruction.
    Do not post emails on thread.

Again, anyone needing some study material for this exam, just pm me your email address.

I have now sent the notes on to over 100 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pumpit2010

Hi!

I have to sit the exam this November, would anyone still have their notes please? I would really really appreciate this!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

Hi,

I have to sit the exam in just over a weeks time and today, reading this thread, is the first time I hear that I actually have to pay for it??? When I signed up for it I didn't get any information on that and there's no mention of it on the website either. Were they going to tell me that on the day? Or has this fee been done away with? (here's hoping...)

• Advertisement

Send me a PM (private message) with your email address.

Advertisement