Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A dancing runner

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

7-8-11

Aim: 7.00 miles
    Completed: 7.04 miles
    Time: 1:08:37
    Pace: 9:44 min/mile

MTY: 189.17

1st mile was tough, but once I got over the first mile the next 6 were very comfortable. Was very happy after this run. This was my longest since the Great Limerick Half Marathon disaster at the very start of May.

8-8-11

Aim: 3.00 miles
    Completed: 3.00 miles
    Time: 29:14
    Pace: 9:44 min/mile

MTY: 192.17

Today was a comfortable run to recover from yesterdays long run. It should have been a rest day but I missed a run or two over the last two weeks so, I am just making sure I get the miles in.

18-8-11

Aim: 4.00 miles
    Completed: 4.00 miles
    Time: 36:36
    Pace: 9:09 min/mile

MTY: 196.17

07-09-11

Aim: 7.00 miles
    Completed: 7.05 miles
    Time: 1:08:00
    Pace: 9:38 min/mile

MTY: 203.22

Apologies for duplicates. A load of old posts that I had posted but that had not been appearing have now reappeared.

I have not updated this in awhile.I was using it to track my mileage and running but my training took a nose dive in September...

I completed the Galway Bay Half Marathon at the weekend in 2:19. I was aiming for 2:15 so I am a little bit gutted that I did not make my time but with the way training went (24.27 miles since 9th September!!) I am not surprised and glad I beat my last HM time of 2:26.

Going to keep up short runs 2/3 times a week of around 4 or 5 miles with at least a 6.1 mile run each sunday until I decide what my next race will be.

I plan on incorporating some tempo runs into this also. Try quicken up my average pace.

After the HM at the weekend my MTY comes to 240.59. I am aiming for 500miles by the end of the year (and will then aim at the 1000mile mark next year). I am thinking a routine of Tue 4m, Wed 5m, Thur 4m, Sat 3m, Sun 6m. With rest days on Mondays and Fridays. I will see how it goes.

07-10-11
    Completed: 3.12 miles
    Time: 30:05
    Pace: 9:38 min/mile

MTY: 243.71

First run after the half marathon, a nice easy 3miles. Enjoyed this and was probably one of the first runs in a long time I enjoyed. It felt really comfortable and hopefully it means I am finally getting used to the 3-5 mile distance..Here's hoping!!

• Advertisement

10-10-11
    Completed: 3.00 miles
    Time: 30:00
    Pace: 10:00 min/mile

MTY: 246.71

Took it easy last week as I was wrecked. My body was wrecked and my head was wrecked. I had exams 7 weeks ago and Sunday was the first day I actually had nothing planned, so I took advantage and did...nothing...

All day at work yesterday I wanted to go for a nice easy flat run, but when I got home I said no, I would go for a tough, hilly trail run. I love running in the wind and rain, while it is harder, i like it. So i took my time and as I said before I will just concentrate on getting mileage in for awhile.

Well this was forgotten about a long long long time ago. I have been doing some running in between with a few 10ks but nothing serious.

2012 was quiet with some running each week just to be out in the air but nothing longer than a 10k.

2013 started well. Had a nice routine going but then got to March and pulled my hamstring in a hurling match and was out for 6 weeks, then went travelling for April and May, the day after I came back I played a hurling match as our junior team was stuck for numbers and managed to splinter my ankle joint and tear ligaments so I have been out of action since the end of May. Yup 4.5 months of no running or dancing. I am now back doing some light activities. i.e standing in Goals for soccer with short spells out field to get the ankle used to turning again, short dance spells and am now thinking some running.

After not having a goal or motivation for the last two years, I now feel it is time to aim for something. I supported the parents in Dublin yesterday and got biten by the running/fitness buzz again. I wont say I will be running Dublin City Marathon next year but it is certainly at the back of my mind.

I will aim for a March 10k in around 50min, May half with a time aim of 2:10 and then see after that. I have found a 32week marathon training plan online that I think will work in building up fitness and mileage for me and help my ankle strengthen gradually.

I will try keep this up to date and get a plan going.

Plan for week:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total|
    Plan for the week|0|0|2|2|0|3|0|7|
    2013 Miles to date at end of previous week||||||| |0

Last night I managed an hour of soccer, spent about 40min out field and only one or two little niggles on the ankle. Nothing major and was very happy with it.

Off out this eve for 2 miles to try the road. Will update on this later on.

Starting easy so I do no damage and gradually strengthen. So expect to see no decent mileage until after xmas.

30-10-2013

2m done and dusted..feels good to be back out. Started with a 5min walk and then 2m run with 5min cool down walk at the end.

Ankle had no twinges and all felt good. So happy right now to be back exercising.

Hopefully up in the morning for 2 more miles.

Didn't do a run this eve, actually went for an hour of dance to really test the ankle and it held up pretty well. I kept it simple and did very little advanced stuff and didn't put on the heavy shoes but felt good to be back dancing.

Run this eve to make up for yesterday.

• Advertisement

Nothing Done today

3 mile walk

1 hour dance

1.5 hour dance

1 hour soccer all out field and felt really good with the ankle. No twinges or aches :)

Plan for rest of week

Wednesday - 2m
    Thursday - 2m
    Friday - Day Off
    Saturday - 3m
    Sunday - Day off

Plan for the week|0|soccer|2|2|Dance|3|0|7|
    Comleted|Y|Y|Y|||| |0
    2014 Miles to date at end of previous week||||||| |0

So after some time off (a lot actually) due to lots of different factors, I am making myself get fit. I can feel my health both physical and mental taking the toll of not getting any exercise in. With starting a new job and few other bits up in life my aim is to do Dublin City marathon this year. Will see how it goes. 32 weeks of running should get me there if I can keep it up.

Starting easy and working from there.

I will do one post each Monday morning with a summary of the previous week and my schedule for the following week.

Current PB's
    10k: 64min
    Half Marathon :1:25:15

Aim is to beat these at some stage during the year also.

Plan for the week|0|soccer|2|2|Dance|3|0|7|
    Completed|Y|Y|Y|||| |2

Not sure where that Half Marathon time came from;

PB Half Marathon : 2:20:08

That would be a serious time.

Went out last night for 2 miles. I cannot after all my years of being fit and healthy believe that it was so tough. I did it in 20 minutes even. So I was glad not to be over the 10min a mile. I am so disappointed in myself that I have let myself get so unfit. Although thankfully no sore legs this morning :)

A mixture of injury, illness, travels and new job has all added to it but I am glad I have started the change.

Plan for the week|0|soccer|2|2|Dance|Hurling|3|7|
    Completed|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|| |4

Slight change of plan.. First hurling session of the season is back on Saturday so will leave 3 miles till Sunday which will be a good chance to loosen up the legs after first day on the grass.

Plan for the week|2|0|Hurling Match|2|2|Hurling|3|9|
    Completed|Y|Y|Y|||| |2
    2014 Miles to date at end of previous week||||||| |4

So after a long time out sick again, i have once again restarted. I will be taking it easy and trying to just build up some fitness and health. I know I will have to go for an operation within the next 12 weeks and just need to build up my body before that. Will keep tipping away with 3/4 miles a few times a week once i get some 2 milers under my legs this week.

Plan for the week|2|0|Hurling Match|2|2|Hurling|3|9|
    Completed|Y|Y|Y|||| |2

Shock to the system last night with a full game of hurling. Enjoyed it but can feel myself getting stiff already. Plenty of little stretched today and getting up from the office chair. Short run this eve will help me i'm sure :)

Plan for the week|0|2|0|2|0|2|2.5|8.5|
    Completed|Y|||||| |0

Well...where to start..Last post was in May and life has been a bit mental.

My photography business took off and meant I had 12 weekends of work in a 14 weeks span on top of the full time 40hrs week at work. I was physically and mentally shattered. A routine of 7am starts, work till 5:30, home and cook dinner, sit at the home office desk from 7 till 11 editing the weekend wedding and repeat really took its toll on me.

Along with this I had to take a lot of time off work/photography due to issues with my throat and breathing. This resulted in me having surgery to see what was up and having my tonsils out 4 weeks ago.

It is now time to push on and get myself healthy. I have constant tiredness from everything over the last few months and life was running away from me.

I am now taking control of it again. I will have 5 day weeks + Weekend weddings and mid week edits but I need to schedule better.

Iv always tried to get a running routine going but it does seem to get dropped pretty quickly, as a result I am going to try some crossfit (2/3 times a week) and run the other days. At least having paid over money I will take the time away from everything to do this. This will start in 2 weeks time, so the next two weeks are about getting into routine.

Anybody have opinions on crossfit?

Completed|Y|Y|Y|||| |2

I signed up for crossfit and paid over the cash last night so I have committed to at least 4 weeks of foundation level.

This will be a Tuesday and Thursday to start with running the other evenings.

Healthy eating has also started this week. I was never one to enjoy my cereal/breakfast so I have started having a smoothie each morning and am loving it!

Next step is to improve lunch and dinner.

I am pretty good with dinner and will always cook from scratch, make all my own sauces with fresh product and the only package items that come into the house are the gluten free breads/pastas for my gf. Have a good mix of fish, red meat and white meat and one veg only dinner every week, so dinner wont take too much work to improve.

Actually excited by all this for once..looking forward to seeing the benefits.

Last week:

Completed|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|8.5
    2014 Miles to date at end of previous week||||||| |10.5

This Week:

Completed|Y|||||||0
    2014 Miles to date at end of previous week||||||| |10.5

Last Week:

Completed|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|8.5
    2014 Miles to date at end of previous week||||||| |19

This Week:

Plan for the week|2|XF|2|XF|0|2|2.5|8.5|
    Completed|Y|N|N|Y|Y|||2
    2014 Miles to date||||||| |19

Forgot to update last week.

Running getting there, taking it slow to let the body get used to it and not get myself run down.

Was ment to start crossfit(XF) this week but was sick on Tuesday/Wednesday and only made it last night. I am already sore but found the workout fantastic. First time I have pushed myself like that in a long time and while i was wrecked and struggled towards the end I think I am going to like it.

Looking forward to next week already!!

• Advertisement

Running Plan for the week|0|1|1|1|1|1|1|6|
    Running Completed|0|1|/|/|/|/|/|1
    Walking Completed|7.68|/|/|/|/|/|/|/
    2019 Miles to date at end of previous week||||||| |1

I went to DCM the weekend and really got bitten with the "I want to run" bug.

Going to commit to just getting some runs in to start with. Every time I start this thread up again I aim too high. It is years since I ran properly, due mainly to the "I don't have time" excuse. I set up my own company and now work for myself so I have no excuse!

I am going to start off with a C25K and see how I go from there and aim to get a walk in every day at least.

Advertisement