Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many teachers are unemployed??

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Rosita

good answer.

this is basically a straight answer to a question I asked you a few pages back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68802456&postcount=66

we got there eventually.

Gollem

Perhaps I should be gratified that you consider my perception of things tantamount to fact, but unfortunately it's not.

What you asked was "Are these courses self-financing?" My straight answer? - I don't know. To repeat something I wrote a few posts back, I am not privy to that information, the cost model and accounting practices of universities etc.

My other view is opinion/perception/guesswork/informed (as in I have done the course and have some idea what it's like) assumption but assumption nonetheless.

You can infer what you will from that but I would never proffer my assumptions/perceptions as fact. Use of phrases such as "I think anybody familiar with the Dip would be astonished" and "I'd be surprised" should be giveaways as to the nature of my commentary.

If you are on a crusade to save the great taxpayer a fortune you need to be a bit more rigorous in your acceptance of sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jobseeker1

Quandary wrote: »
    Just out of interest, would the people posting here mind indicating whether they're primary or secondary teachers and also how far they are prepared to travel for subbing work?
    im a primary school teacher. I'm leaving in january to teach in Dubai. Tax free pay. Year round sun, paid accomodation and yearly flights home...don't think i'll be home again..except for a holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 anneh2010

I'm a secondary school teacher and live near Balbriggan, I have travelled to cavan for subbing and am willing to go wherever in Ireland haas subbing. I am going for an interview the end of the month for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I for one, will continue giving grinds to students.The new year is the busiest time for me. Misguided parents ? :confused: Why do you ask?

The question how many people unemployed is not necessarily how many teachers not working, plenty could and do work especially in the months of Jan - May giving grinds but may not be employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niamhcat3

Hi there,

I have recently found out that I will need to defer my Dip year for medical reasons. Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm sure there are circumstances that arise each year when people need to do this.

What are the chances of deferring this for a year? Do I need to fill out any special forms.. I'm kind of in the dark!!

If any of you know any info on this would you please let me know a.s.a.p, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

INTO expects 1,000 teachers to be on the panel before the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Swirls

niamhcat3 wrote: »
    I have recently found out that I will need to defer my Dip year for medical reasons. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I think you should ring the Department on Monday.

In the meantime, your best bet would be to go to www.educationposts.ie and search their message board in case others have been in your position, or ask your question on the message board. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

niamhcat3 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have recently found out that I will need to defer my Dip year for medical reasons. Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm sure there are circumstances that arise each year when people need to do this.

What are the chances of deferring this for a year? Do I need to fill out any special forms.. I'm kind of in the dark!!

If any of you know any info on this would you please let me know a.s.a.p, thank you.

Do you mean defer the course to do the PGDE or your first year teaching after qualification? If it's the course it has nothing to do with the department, you would have to contact the college you were offered a place in and see what they have to say.

It was always stated on the PAC literature for the PDGE in recent years that it was not possible to defer the course. You had to re-apply at the next opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

There are lots of teaching positions advertised on the fas website - 9 month contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

bmarley wrote: »
    There are lots of teaching positions advertised on the fas website - 9 month contracts.

Are they the WP contracts? If so, then the teacher will be paid the dole and will not be employed by the Board of Management of the school. They will not be allowed formally sub in the school if days do arise, and cannot apply for any position in the school while on the FÁS contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Rosita wrote: »
    It was always stated on the PAC literature for the PDGE in recent years that it was not possible to defer the course. You had to re-apply at the next opportunity.

A girl in our school had her dip deferred due to pregnancy.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »

A girl in our school had her dip deferred due to pregnancy.

Obviously there's more flexibility than the literature suggests so.

Advertisement