Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THOMOND PARK BEAUTIFUL OR UGLY???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

it's far from being a world class stadium,its embarrasing people would say that,they obviously havent travelled much

Depends, as a club rugby stadium it's up there, what rugby stadia do you think are better?

If you're going to put it up next to some European soccer stadia or the various American football ones then I don't think it compares. Atmosphere-wise, it's up there with any I've been in.

Fwiw, I think Croke Park is a poor enough stadium in itself, the sight lines are awful and you're very far from the pitch, but add in the history and the atmosphere and it's a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There are some stadia that are impressive even when they're empty. Thomond isn't on of them. When it's full and rocking, any visitor would be impressed, but not just by looking at the stadium itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭phog

But isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder. Take a trip over to the random photography thread in the photography forum, some photos there with lots of thanks and yet some others may not see anything they like in it.

I suppose it's whatever rocks your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

If you're going to put it up next to some European soccer stadia or the various American football ones then I don't think it compares.

If people are going to call it "world class" ,it's gotta be compared to these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If people are going to call it "world class" ,it's gotta be compared to these

Horses for courses, it's not an American football stadium or a soccer stadium, as a rugby stadium it's certainly one of the best in the world, and as club rugby stadium it's probably the best in Europe. Of the more established rugby teams, even teams like Toulouse move to municipal stadia for very big matches.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the best stadium you've been in is? For me, probably the Nou Camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Out of curiosity, what do you think the best stadium you've been in is? For me, probably the Nou Camp.
    I'd agree with you there, took my breath away when I walked in there for the first time on a match night.
    The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff also impressed me a lot.

As for Thomond, osarusan's post in this thread sums up my feelings on the place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I like it, but I don't think "beautiful" is the right word to describe it.
    One this is absolutely certain: it's a hell of a lot better looking than it used to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ford Field in Detroit, its spectacular.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/1695324406_f03239baa6_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The MCG, was there a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'd hit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Playing playstation at a world class stadium

Cowboys-Stadium-Top-Seat-Views.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It was something beautiful on Saturday - so yes, yes its very beautiful even before it was developed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Well whatever about it's looks, it certainly is a fine testament to the power of the rugby old boys club that they could get planning for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a functional stadium/venue. Not a thing of great beauty, but I suspect that was never the main consideration.

It was great to be there on Saturday. It really rocked.

I suspect the design may have been based on the Galpharm Stadium in Huddersfield..

stadium-history-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's neither beautiful or ugly.
    It's a stadium.

It's something I'm proud of, and while I wouldn't go pretending it's world class by any means.

It's about as world class as you get in Limerick.

Advertisement