Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Global Gender Gap Report 2010

Options
  • 13-10-2010 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies, not sure if any of you read this when it was published recently but Ireland came 5th in World Economic Forum Report into Gender Gaps. Seemingly we are doing very well at decreasing the gender gap. I thought this might be of interest to some of the ladies here :)

Here's a post I found about it that helps summarise it pretty well.

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2010/10/12/gender-gap/
    After the EIU, the WEF now also has a global report on equality between the sexes.

Ireland comes 6th out of 134 countries. That is great.

The build-up is peculiar, though. Ireland tops the bill on equality in educational attainment, although bonus points seem to be given for absent men at third level.

Ireland could do better on wage equality for similar work, on labour participation, and on senior jobs — but does rather well on uncorrected wage equality and on female professionals.

I guess that the data are somewhat older, and Ireland is getting points in gender equality because young men left school to be builders.

Ireland does well in political representation, primarily because of Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese. I would think that the largely ceremonial presidency should be discounted. Ireland does rather more poorly on female parliamentarians and ministers.

It gets strange on “health and survival”. Ireland ranks 89th. One subindex is female to male life expectancy. Irish women do not live long enough compared to men.The other subindex is male to female births — 106 boys for 100 boys, but surely not because of selective abortion or infanticide. [THIS PARAGRAPH WAS CORRECTED]

Not sure what to make of this. Ireland’s rank is too high and too low at the same time.

I saw an interview with Saadia Zahidi on Bloomberg the other day and she seemed to think we were doing pretty well. There are some obvious flaws in the report, but nice to see some positive news about Ireland. The full report is available at the link below.

http://www.weforum.org/en/Communities/Women%20Leaders%20and%20Gender%20Parity/GenderGapNetwork/index.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It gets strange on “health and survival”. Ireland ranks 89th. One subindex is female to male life expectancy. Irish women do not live long enough compared to men.
    What??? 5 years isn't enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I find it absolutely amazing that all of the scores under education are at exactly 1.00.

Advertisement