Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you enjoying at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eoinfennessy

Edward Simon - Poesia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I'd no idea I'd been listening to this fella for years (Art Blakey, Coltrane, Weather Report, etc...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

We played this and 2 other songs at the Barbican today in the Essentially Ellington festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BrunoGeist

Hi everybody!
    Jerzy Milan - "Wsrod Pampasow"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Been listening to a lot of the classics recently. Purchased the "Ultimate" cd reissue of Coltrane's Blue Train to replace my worse for wear old copy - music sounds a bit fuller & there's a couple of extra tracks (alternate takes) on it which is cool, a good excuse to listen to a great album again.

Also picked up the Sundazed vinyl reissue of Born Under A Bad Sign by Albert King - a fantastic pressing (which sadly isn't always the case with reissues), great depth & lifelike presentation to the recording. A real pleasure to listen to.

Lastly I've been listening to an record that I picked up a few years ago based purely on liking the name, but which I disliked on first listen & didn't take out of the sleeve again. A few days ago I decided to give "Rev" Eugene McDaniel's Headless Heroes of The Apocalypse another spin & to my surprise (possibly because I've listened to a fair amount of soul jazz, funk & psychedelia in the intervening period) I actually really enjoyed it. Probably a bit weird for some but interesting to listen to it in the political context of the time. Having heard Gil Scott Heron's Free Will in the interim I was put in mind of that album (released the following year), though Heron's commentary is more directly contemporary. There's some great playing on Headless Heroes & it's definitely worth a relisten if it doesn't grab you the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Some wonderful stuff posted here lately, thanks all :) For those of you that are not accustomed to the Hammond B3 of Larry Young (he played with Tony Williams Lifetime, and also on Bitches Brew), this is a real treat:

His album Unity on Blue Note is a classic. Also check out his recordings as a sideman with Grant Green, especially Talkin About.

• Advertisement

Setun, many thanks, didn't know this one. The tune for today is "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck Quartet. I know it's rather well known album but I got me hands on brand new 180g pressing so this spins at home at the moment. My favourite is "Everybody's jumpin" with such a cool double base progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yeah Time Out is great, coincidentally I've just started listening to this again recently. The final track with the staccato piano block chords is a fantastic moment on the album.

Another wonderful pianist with a great composition: Duke Pearson - When Sunny Gets Blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

From the album ' Whats it all about '

Loving Vital Information at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

BrunoGeist wrote: »
    Hi everybody!
    Jerzy Milan - "Wsrod Pampasow"

nice choice Bruno fixed your vid for you

Shakti wrote: »
    nice choice Bruno fixed your vid for you
    Thanks a million mate!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

I am really enjoying Jumpin Johnny Sansones new album "The Lord Is Waiting And The Devil Is Too", excellent hard blues with some filthy guitar work from Anders Osborne.

• Advertisement

Currently kicking back with some quality Scandanavian jazz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Berlin at night

Just got turned onto Lyric FM's Blue of the night; darn good mellow stuff and perfect for late at night for reading a book to. The Lyric stuff can be dodgy during the day as there is too much opera, which I can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

The shout chorus from 4:35 is especially good, imo. Eric Miyashiro (Lead Trumpet) is brilliant.

I'm incredibly lucky to play in a band directed by Jay Craig, who wrote this piece and plays Bari Sax in the video here.

My grandmother bought me a decent bit of Ellington's stuff for Christmas and I'm in love with this track. So simple, yet so good. And I can't resist a wailing lead trumpet.

If you're more conservative in your tastes you might not like Robert Glasper's efforts to blend jazz with modern styles like R&B, hip-hop & alt. rock but personally I think it sounds great. Really enjoyed the album Double Booked which came out a few years ago & recently picked up his ambitious collaborative project Black Radio on lovely gatefold vinyl. This interpretation of Nirvana's best known song is the closing track.

Dunno if the live version conveys that perfectly, but I listened to the album version and that's pretty cool.

Really enjoying Stan Tracey's Feather, Fin and Limb atm. However, can't find an album version of it online, only a school band, so here's my band playing it:

• Advertisement

I'd vaguely heard of this guy before but had never really investigated any further. Picked up The Jazz Messengers CD on a whim a few days ago & can't believe how good it sounds. The below track in particular really swings. Great record, shame on me for overlooking it for so long.

Advertisement