Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 41: Simple Lemon Drizzle Cake

Options
  • 11-10-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Seen as there are so few sweet/dessert/cake recipies I decied to post this one:

It's really simple and cheap to make and tastes delicious!

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Ingridents:
    125g butter or margarine
    175g caster sugar
    175 Self raising flour (sieved)*
    2 Large eggs (beaten)
    2 lemons
    50G granulated sugar

*If you use plain Flour, use a tsp of baking powder.
    P1020208.jpg

Preheat oven to 180'C

P1020209.jpg
    line a 7x7 cake tin with parchment paper

P1020212.jpg
    cream the butter/marg and caster sugar until light and fluffy, may take a while by hand, but this is a very important part.

P1020216.jpg
    Add 1 TBSP of egg at a time to the creamed mixture, adding 1 TBSP of flour after each addition until used up.

P1020214.jpg
    grate the rind of 1 lemon and add to the mixture, also add the juice of the lemon to the mixture until combined

P1020218.jpg
    P1020220.jpg
    P1020228.jpg
    spoon into a prepared tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 25-30 mins, or until a knife/toothpick comes out clean

P1020222.jpg
    grate the rind of the second lemon and mix with 25G of the granulated sugar and reserve,

P1020224.jpg
    P1020226.jpg
    squeeze the juice of the second lemon into a pot with the remaining 25G of the granulated sugar, and heat gently until sugar is dissolved and syrupy. 3-4 mins

P1020231.jpg
    P1020233.jpg
    with a cocktail stick/skewer prick the warm cake all over and sprinkle the lemon zest/sugar mixture over the cake then drizzle over the syrup and leave to cool in the tin.

P1020234.jpg
    P1020249.jpg
    Cut into squares and NYOM!

Any questions let me know.

CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Oooh this looks lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My favourite cake is lemon cake. Gonna give this a lash the week-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Looks Delish!! Will make this asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Made this today..... It was really nice. However the sponge was too soft to make into squares. It kept breaking up when I tried to cut it. Not sure where I went wrong but will def. make this again. Hopefully next time it will hold together better

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We made this lovely lemon cake today. Simple and delicious!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=7612

Thanks for the recipe!

That's a cool-looking grater thing that you have, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Looks fantastic, glad you liked it.

Yeah The zester is a "Microplane" it's sweet because it doesn't grate into the nasty white layer of the fruit under the skin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

CombatCow wrote: »
    Looks fantastic, glad you liked it.

Yeah The zester is a "Microplane" it's sweet because it doesn't grate into the nasty white layer of the fruit under the skin :)

Thanks! Might look into getting one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I put poppy seeds in mine - it was delish thanks!

Mix
    66641_1678930336126_1323548852_1767412_2190187_n.jpg

Result!
    66373_1678930776137_1323548852_1767416_2217871_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Thoroughly enjoying a slice of this now. Thank you Combat Cow.

C41dgl.jpg

Made some slight changes. Used 110g of LowLow and 15g of real butter, because we didn't have any Stork and I didn't want to use real butter, but it still turned out lovely and also stuck a bit of icing sugar into the syurp to give it a bit of a sheen, it's delicious!

One quick q- do you reckon you could use the method from this recipe for making a regular vanilla cake (obv without the lemon juice and zest, using vanilla extract/seeds instead)? It's one of the lightest sponges I've tasted in a while, would be nice for cupcakes or something.

Great, looks excellent, glad you like it. That's actually a good question about a vanilla version, i'll test it out this weekend and let you know :)

*poppy seeds is a good idea too, must try that also!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just wanted to say I just made this and it's amazing! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Me again: I made a pear version of this today. Replace mentions of lemon rind with diced tinned pear, replace lemon juice with the pear juice from the tin.
    Thumbs up again :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I used lemon sherbert instead of sugar on top - excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I've just rooted through the fridge and cupboards and luckily have all the ingredients :D I feel some late night baking is about to happen :)

Lol go for it, let us know how it turns out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

168445_10150094585672259_833992258_6072628_8199815_n.jpg

Great recipe nice and simple to follow :) I shall be making this again very soon :p

I wasn't even able to wait till I had a picture took before I cut into it nom nom nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I made this last night. I'd usually upload a photo, but I done it in an odd sort of tin and it came out in bits! Didn't change the taste of course, it is gorgeous!

Thanks OP

GOing to try this again this weekend but thinking of chucking all ingredients into the food processor and whizzing up that way. What do you think? Will it work?

lol emm well, creaming the butter and sugar is one of the most important steps so id advise you to do that correctly :P

Thanks for all the nice comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

77b9311d.jpg

Yum yum yum! Almost gone already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Sorry my pictures are so big! I only have my phone and don't have anything to crop images on it, just an uploader

rgiller wrote: »
    GOing to try this again this weekend but thinking of chucking all ingredients into the food processor and whizzing up that way. What do you think? Will it work?

Actually turned out better from the food processor than doing it by hand. I put just the sugar and butter in first and creamed them together. Then flour on top of that and eggs at the very top. Quick whizz up, add the lemon zest and juice and another whizz. Much lighter, smoother batter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

just discovered the cooking club LOVE it cant wait to try out some of these recipies yummy!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not keen on lemon myself, but gave this a shot and it met with full approval from the house. We've some limes lying about, I presume they'd be equally OK?

boardslemoncake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Gonna make this today. Really looking forward to baking as it's so rare that I do it. Does it have to be square I wonder? Or would it work as muffins.... Will post later with results.

Mmm im not sure about using limes black oil :confused:

Boosh it doesn't have to be square tin but it's easier to cut into squares/rectangles etc.., muffins are a very interesting idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

mmmm - had a slice of this when it was still warm with a cup of orange and strawberry rooibos - so good. Thanks CombatCow

dsc06086z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I just made this. As I was putting it on the cooling rack it fell apart and hit the floor. Raging. I don't know what I did wrong.

Edit: Just re-read the recipe. I should have left it to cool in the tin. *kicks self* What a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just made this. As I was putting it on the cooling rack it fell apart and hit the floor. Raging. I don't know what I did wrong.

Edit: Just re-read the recipe. I should have left it to cool in the tin. *kicks self* What a waste!

Haha that's so funny! I'm breaking my sides laughing here! After all your hard work! Ah well better luck next time:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

leahyl wrote: »
    Haha that's so funny! I'm breaking my sides laughing here! After all your hard work! Ah well better luck next time:D

Screw you! :pac:

Ok, I re-made it. And I did as I was told this time. And it was perfect.

9ksbw0.jpg

2czzjiq.jpg

The only thing I did differently was not put the zest on top. I put all of the zest into the cake itself to have just a smooth syrup on top.

Advertisement