Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removed factory fit Stereo & car kit - No stereo will work now.

Options
  • 11-10-2010 11:51am

Hey Guys

I think I've fecked up....

I got an 02 Audi A4 (TDI) on Friday.

Love it, but yesterday I wanted to take out the factory fitted radio and put in my JVC Bluetooth one.

Anyway, I managed to get it out, using the release keys.

I then took out the Nokia car kit (you know the clunky old-style ones), I unscrewed it from beside the gear stick and snipped the wire and just tucked it back in under the plastic. Then did the same for the microphone up overhead.

So I took out the old radio then, bought the adapters from Halfords and tried putting in my JVC radio.

Tried to turn it on, nothing, tried re-connecting the adapters etc etc, still nothing.

So now I tried putting back in the factory radio and now that doesn't work either.

Would it be the fact I just snipped the wires that go to the Nokia car kit....probably, but didn't think so as it is not a factory fit, its an addition.

This is my 10th or so car and I've always removed the factory radios and added in my own and never had any hassle.

Anyone got any ideas where I'm going wrong or what might have gone wrong?

Probably in over my head now, can anyone recommend any Car Audio type places that are cheap / reasonable that I could get to take a gander?

Cheers Ya'll !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hey Guys

I think I've fecked up....

I got an 02 Audi A4 (TDI) on Friday.

Love it, but yesterday I wanted to take out the factory fitted radio and put in my JVC Bluetooth one.

Anyway, I managed to get it out, using the release keys.

I then took out the Nokia car kit (you know the clunky old-style ones), I unscrewed it from beside the gear stick and snipped the wire and just tucked it back in under the plastic. Then did the same for the microphone up overhead.

So I took out the old radio then, bought the adapters from Halfords and tried putting in my JVC radio.

Tried to turn it on, nothing, tried re-connecting the adapters etc etc, still nothing.

So now I tried putting back in the factory radio and now that doesn't work either.

Would it be the fact I just snipped the wires that go to the Nokia car kit....probably, but didn't think so as it is not a factory fit, its an addition.

This is my 10th or so car and I've always removed the factory radios and added in my own and never had any hassle.

Anyone got any ideas where I'm going wrong or what might have gone wrong?

Probably in over my head now, can anyone recommend any Car Audio type places that are cheap / reasonable that I could get to take a gander?

Cheers Ya'll !

Check the fuse for the Stereo.
    Maybe you blew one when chopping wires.

Check the fuse for the Stereo.
    Maybe you blew one when chopping wires.

Yea, that was the first thing I did, checked the fuse on the actual stereo units, then checked the radio one in the fusebox.

None of them are blown.

Might go out and check each & every one just incase?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I unscrewed it from beside the gear stick and snipped the wire and just tucked it back in under the plastic. Then did the same for the microphone up overhead.

Where/how did you snip the wire??? :eek:

If you cut through more than one wire at the time, that is probably your problem, you've more than likely blown a fuse.

Where/how did you snip the wire??? :eek:

If you cut through more than one wire at the time, that is probably your problem, you've more than likely blown a fuse.

You know the old nokia hands free docking things?

It was attached to the panel at the side of the gear stick

I snipped the wire there then took the thing out. Then did the same with the microphone which was up overhead.

I went out and checked all the fuses and none of them are blown.

Do you know any decent / cheap car audio / electrical places that could take a look or fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There used to be an auto electrical place on Forest Road in Swords. Turn off main street by the Lord Mayors, pass the back of Eddie Rockets and in the next set of industrial unit's there was / is a motor factors and an Auto Electrician.

They fitted the Radio and CD in to my Impreza - in 98. Had no problems with it.

Haven't been that way in a while to see if they are still there though.

• Advertisement

Actually, yea that's still there

Now that I think of it theres one up near the airside on airport road and another one further in on the road near Santry.

Pain in the ar*e !

I'll get it sorted today and let you know what it was. Probably something stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

always disconnect the battery before elctrical work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

this is why the new forum was made

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Tigger wrote: »
    swap the yellow and red wires on the adapter around so red adapter goes to yellow h/u

german cars have this backwards

Would think the adapter would do this, as was model specific? Also isnt the reversal just for constant on vs ignition on only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

IMO its madness going chopping wires connecting to any electrical system in a car without 1st establishing what it is!

On VAG cars there is a standard ISO loom connecting the radio (whatever OEM radio you have - concert or symphony) the top one from memory is for constant 12 vdc, switched vdc, mute etc. The bottom is for speaker output into the car. There is plenty of wiring diagrams on the web to establish what colour wire corresponds to what function.

I cant possibly comment on how the nokia car kit was wired into the loom but its very foolish to just chop the wires more than likely you have shorted something.
    Most professional phone kit installers will use an ISO loom to wire into a vehicle electrics as 1)it makes things easier 2) its neater and 3) less of a fire/electrical hazard.
    If they have butchered the OEM loom to wire in the phone kit, i would suggest insulating the bare copper cores with heat shirnk of possible to ensure its is properly insulated (if you are removing the old kit).

I would suggest getting a multimeter and figuring out if you have electrical supply on the relevant wires since your oem stereo is now not working. It does sound like you have blown a fuse thou.

• Advertisement

I agree totally nogoodnamesleft, it was stupid of me to just snip the wires. I thought it was only some sort of audio wire.
    Didn't even think that it might be a power wire. Doh!

Anyway, definitely didn't blow a fuse, obviously must be something to do with the wire that I cut was also part of the one for power to the stereo, hence breaking the circuit.

Will know for sure when I bring it in somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Having had the same problem with my car (same year and model) I know the wires for the new head unit were cut and taped by the guy in Halfords when he was fitting it for me!

By the way, the Audi A4 is a rear amplified so to get full surround sound in all your car's speakers you'll also need a PC9 404 wiring loom to go in-between the Audi wires and the new head unit loom! I got mine from the Liquidice shop on ebay, only cost a few euro, compared to Halfords!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Having had the same problem with my car (same year and model) I know the wires for the new head unit were cut and taped by the guy in Halfords when he was fitting it for me!

By the way, the Audi A4 is a rear amplified so to get full surround sound in all your car's speakers you'll also need a PC9 404 wiring loom to go in-between the Audi wires and the new head unit loom! I got mine from the Liquidice shop on ebay, only cost a few euro, compared to Halfords!;)

Just wondering does the Radio data display work after installing new Aftermarket radio? (i.e.top part of picture below)

audi_a4_stereo_2_28_06_2.jpg

I agree totally nogoodnamesleft, it was stupid of me to just snip the wires. I thought it was only some sort of audio wire.
    Didn't even think that it might be a power wire. Doh!

Anyway, definitely didn't blow a fuse, obviously must be something to do with the wire that I cut was also part of the one for power to the stereo, hence breaking the circuit.

Will know for sure when I bring it in somewhere.

I wrote this thread a while back regards fitting a Nokia kit into my own Passat it might point you in the right direction. The principals on how to approach fault finding your stereo would be similar...obviously the wiring schematic for the radio will be different.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055816021

Hey Ya'll

Just to let you know, it was something to do with the ignition cord.

2 minute job, he even fixed it for free it was such a small thing

But thanks for the advice & all anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

teednab-el wrote: »
    Just wondering does the Radio data display work after installing new Aftermarket radio? (i.e.top part of picture below)

audi_a4_stereo_2_28_06_2.jpg

Nope 'fraid not!:( Well at least not with mine anyway! Maybe with another stereo....but thats the only issue I've had with my new unit!

Nope 'fraid not!:( Well at least not with mine anyway! Maybe with another stereo....but thats the only issue I've had with my new unit!

Doesnt work on mine either

Doesnt work on mine either

Does any aftermarket stereo do the trick of getting the radio data display to work in audi cars? Anyone know?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Does any aftermarket stereo do the trick of getting the radio data display to work in audi cars? Anyone know?

Some of the high end Pioneer units can do it for the VW/Skoda/Seat cars & Fords too. Works through the Can wiring in the car but I don't know if it'll work on Audi.

Some of the high end Pioneer units can do it for the VW/Skoda/Seat cars & Fords too. Works through the Can wiring in the car but I don't know if it'll work on Audi.

Do VW and Audi have the same wiring unit? Or are they different?

• Advertisement

http://www.dension.com/en/multimedia-adapter/gateway-300

Denison can integrate into existing cars multimedia systems, info systems etc. They arent cheap as far as I remember but have a lot of useful functionality. They can download your phone book, show ipod playist etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Very same thing happened to my car and I could not get anything working. I brought the car over to a lad in Halfords. It turned out that the adaptor kits are usually made to suit a few cars but the wires have to be changed around in the adaptor for the different cars it suits. So He looked in some book he had and Changed two wires in the adaptor and it all worked perfect.

Advertisement