Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to: Install a Nokia CK300 Bluetooth Car Kit to a 2003 Passat

Options
  • 01-02-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

One of my pet peeves is seeing people on the phone driving while oblivious to whats going on around them especially commercial vehicles :mad:

Anyways here is how I installed the Kit to my car over the weekend.

It looked around and some installers were charging 230euro for supply and fit. I got the kit off the web for under 100euro delivered. Took me about 2.5 hours to complete, including a tea break and keeping things neat.

Ive seen some "professional" installers simply drop kick the kit into place very very crudely while taking no care towards the electrics (they simply tap the cable twist the copper and use lots and lots of electrical tape).

I also wanted the kit to auto mute the radio and play the audio through the car speakers when on a call without altering the existing wiring loom, the kit I ordered also included an ISO lead eliminate altering the existing wiring loom.

Disclaimer:

Do not attempt if your not confident in your own ability with auto electrics, taking of interior trim etc etc.

Unpack the Kit and components

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

As mentoned my kit included an ISO lead. The little black box automatically routes the audio over the speakers once it detects a signal on the "mute" wire obviously this occurs when a call is in progress.

If you didnt get the nokia ISO lead in the kit. You can buy a standard ISO lead off ebay and customise it using "wiring harness repair" bits from the main dealer to wire it directly to the radio utilising the proper input pins on the back it.

I picked up radio release tools when I was working in the UK last month. Before you go messing with the radio make sure you get the anto thieft code from the main dealer.

Insert the release tools on either side of the radio and push firmly but gently home until you hear the click. Then pull gently toward you. I also released the indash 6CD Disk changer because the wiring loom to the back of the radio is actually very very short and doing this released more slack on the wiring loom as well as made more room to work.

With the radio out upplug the ISO connections on the back of the radio:

The brown ISO lead is for the speakers around the car.
    The black ISO lead is for power, ignition feed etc for the radio.

I found the input put details on the web for my particular radio:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/Sticker.jpg

I also double checked to make sure the relative pins were what they should be with a multimeter. The Kit itself only needs 3 inputs.

- GND (Black, Pin 8)
    - Constant 12v (Black, Pin 7)
    - Ignition 12V (Black, Pin 5 (I think!))

The kit has push fit connection for the mute feature. For my radio it was for pin 2 connect "mute" to mute 1,2 or 3 depending on head unit.

- Mute (for automute purposes (Black, Pin 2))

Once the lead etc is connected in place check the feeds once again to make sure they are what they should be before connection back into the radio.

Connect to the radio and test that the radio now works once again.

If it does start routing the cables to where you want to install the Nokia "little black box". I choose the passengers side as it was the easiest as there is plenty of room around the passenger glove compartment.

I cable tied the power and the cable for the small control panel using small cable ties. This was to make things neat and to stop rattles and squeeks that might occur when installed. I used a coat hanger also to push the cables through.

I chose to install the control panel just below the heated seats dial on the drivers side as it was neat and unobtrusive.

Once all the cable routing is done and the majority of the ISO loom is pushed through bearing in mind that the radio and CD changer takes up much of the space in the double DIN space!

I started releasing the glove box from the dash (by releasing the 5 screws) as well as the end plate on of the passengers side (its just a push fit). This is to make enough room to conceal the Nokia "black box" as well as to route the mic cable.

I chose to locate the mic where the factory would, concealed in the light fitting near the rear view mirror.

• Remove the clear plastic light cover, this will reveal 2 philips screaws securing the light to the roof.
    • Then carefully prise the light fitting from the roof lining.
    • The factory put a foam piece covering the hole, remove this a position the mic in there.
    • You can then start routing the cable. I chose to remove the center sun visor from just above the rear view mirror to allow the cable to be routed around the headlining, down the A pillar and (concealing it in the trim) and in the end of the dash.

• Advertisement

Light fitting removed....

Once you happy with where you want to conceal the Nokia black box, start tidying up the slack of all the cables with small cable ties.

Connect all the revelant connections to the box. Before you tidy everything away and put the radio back check that when you turn on the ignition it turns on the kit and more importantly when you turn off the ignition its cuts power to the kit other wise you have the constant 12v and the switched 12v crossed and this can drain your battery.

Turn on the ignition, the control keypad should illuminate (flashing) and then constant illumination. Pair your phone with the kit, obviously turn on bluetooth on your phone, the passcode of the box is 0000.

Now test it with a call...... once everything is working, pack the nokia box underneath the glove box, resecure the glove box, relocate the radio taking care of the wiring loom behind it (this is a lot easier than it sounds!) and retest the whole set up.

When a call is in progress the radio will show "phone" on the display, the radio will auto mute and the audio of the call will be through the existing car speakers.

The kit will also auto pair with your phone provided that bluetooth is enabled on your phone before you turn on the ignition.

Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Excellent guide and thanks for sharing with us. Putting the time and effort to do this particular job neatly makes all the difference in my experience.

Advertisement