Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GERD (acid Reflux)

Options
  • 10-10-2010 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Not sure if this can be posted here if not maybe the mods can move it to the right section.

Over the last few months I get a tightness in my throat after eating and want to burp but cant but I can force air up from my stomach that makes a noise in my chest/neck kinda like a burp that helps the pressure a bit. I also wake up mornings with sore throat.

Anyway went to my gp and he first though I had maybe cut my throat eating something hard so gave me antibiotics to heal incase of infection but was no good. Went back Friday and i got stuff for acid reflux that seemed to work straight away. During my times with these problems I gave up dairy and tea/coffee. This morning I had porridge tea and toast and it came back with a bang.

Does anyone else here suffer with GERD and do you find dairy making it worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Some carbs can really bring it on. Then again, it could be the coffee.

It really varies from person to person and I'm sorry to say, a majority of the time, it's trial and error. Make a note of the food/drinks that trigger it and do your best to avoid them. What prescription did you GP give you for the acid reflux? Losec and Nexium are great little tablet and I really swear on the Nexium, although some GP's may only prescribe this for more severe cases.

Like I said, trial and error is your only option. Also, try to avoid drinking anything to concintrated as that can be a major trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Hey thanks for the reply, Im on nexazole but still waking with sore throats and having pressure in throat after eating and nose feeling blocked up. I now think Im allergic to dairy. As the tablets dont seem to be working too well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't have GERD but I had a peptic ulcer years ago and I found that porridge made me very acidic. Coffee is another trigger for acid production. I was on Losec and it was marvellous.
    One of the best things you can do for GERD is to raise the top of your bed to stop the acid coming up at night. Raising your pillows won't do, you need a brick under each leg at the top of the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

I had this years ago. Sometimes it feels like there is something caught in your throat, or something growing in your throat !!

I got rid of mine by removing all the acid producing foods from my diet.

All you are going to do is balance the acidity levels in your body.

Acid producing foods:

Peppers, red, yellow, green.
    Tomatoes
    Cabbage
    White onions subsitute with red onions

Coffee
    Spirits
    Wine

Dairy
    Youghurts will pass

Google for acid producing foods. You'll find some fruits also to be added to this list.

But remember, you're only avoiding these foods for a short period of time in order to reduce the amount of acid in your system, and to be aware that your probably consuming too many acidic foods in your diet.

Once you've been told that it's acid reflux by your doc, you now know what you have to do. Medicines may help initially, but you have to change what you are putting inside yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Suffered badly with this for years, then I bought some apple cider vinegar in tescos and mixed a teaspoon into a small glass of water, drank it, and it is no longer an issue. I took it on the advice of a friend, and it was the best tip anybody ever gave me. I used to be really, desperatly ill with acid indigestion. I had ulcers, reflux, the whole thing, At first I took the vinegar daily, now I take it about once every two months. It is such a simple cure, but it is beyond brilliant. Try it once, its a revelation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

dunsandin wrote: »
    Suffered badly with this for years, then I bought some apple cider vinegar in tescos and mixed a teaspoon into a small glass of water, drank it, and it is no longer an issue. I took it on the advice of a friend, and it was the best tip anybody ever gave me. I used to be really, desperatly ill with acid indigestion. I had ulcers, reflux, the whole thing, At first I took the vinegar daily, now I take it about once every two months. It is such a simple cure, but it is beyond brilliant. Try it once, its a revelation.

i suffer from gerd with a hiatus hernia for a few years .
    i,ve tried the cider vinegar in the past but its hard to stomach the stuff. i was also concerned with if it was doing more harm than good.
    one for the team have you spoken to your gp about getting a gastroscopy done to see what might be wrong .

Thanks for the replys guys

I got that last Wednesday got the one with mother in it. I have been taking it twice daily. How long did it take it to work for you?
    mossfort wrote: »
    i suffer from gerd with a hiatus hernia for a few years .
    i,ve tried the cider vinegar in the past but its hard to stomach the stuff. i was also concerned with if it was doing more harm than good.
    one for the team have you spoken to your gp about getting a gastroscopy done to see what might be wrong .

I found if i hold my nose while drinking cider vinegar its not as bad.

I also seem to be doing damage to my throat at night I must be trying to clear it in my sleep and hurting it.

I had no ill effects from Apple cider vinegar at all. When I was suffering from ulcers et al, my GP told me I would have to start on medication and remain on it for life. I thought to myself"feck that", and took the vinegar. It worked. Yes, it tastes sh1te, but get over it, because it works. When you no longer need to take the vinegar, you will know, because your body will literally reject it and it will come out of your nose and be totally unswallowable. Stop taking it then. Why the pharma crowd sell any ant- acids is beyond me, because this is natures antacid, and could do more good for more people if it was wider known. Tell a friend, please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

If you have acid reflux it is advisable to have it checked out.

I had no ill effects from Apple cider vinegar at all. When I was suffering from ulcers et al, my GP told me I would have to start on medication and remain on it for life. I thought to myself"feck that", and took the vinegar. It worked. Yes, it tastes sh1te, but get over it, because it works. When you no longer need to take the vinegar, you will know, because your body will literally reject it and it will come out of your nose and be totally unswallowable. Stop taking it then. Why the pharma crowd sell any ant- acids is beyond me, because this is natures antacid, and could do more good for more people if it was wider known. Tell a friend, please.

How long did it take the vinegar to work for you? I have been taking 2 desert spoons in warm water twice a day.
    CathyMoran wrote: »
    If you have acid reflux it is advisable to have it checked out.

Got a swab done of my throat should get the results this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I also seem to be doing damage to my throat at night I must be trying to clear it in my sleep and hurting it.

Acid will make your throat feel very sore. Raising the top end of your bed will stop the acid coming up as far.

Anyway got the throat swab back and it was negative for acid. Sure unsure what to do now must go back and visit my gp but he will only send me off to and ENT doc and prob be waiting weeks as only have a medical card.

I have been on anti acid now for 10days 1 of Nexazole 40mg a day and im taking apple cider vinger twice a day, i do feel a bit better not as bad but still not great.

Still have the feeling of something in my throat and nose kinda blocked up, stomach doesnt feel great either and chest. Im not over weight or anything and dont get sick much.

What tests can be done for acid reflux just because a swab of my throat came back neg i still think I have it. How long did it take the tablets for ye to work?

Will visit my gp again 2mro:(

If the cider vinegar does not work very fast(almost immediate), it won't work, you may be better off using peppermint oil capsules. Get the slow release ones. You may have a more ibs related problem as opposed to acid. Peppermint tea will also help. Avoid eating highly processed biscuits like digestives, rich tea etc, and avoid milk. Coffee will also not help, so maybe cut it out for a bit. Chocolat/bars and Ice-cream are another no-no if you suffer from stomach issues. I also see an awful lot of teenagers with dreadful acne who would benefit greatly from eliminating those and taking a very small amount of cider vinegar - it really improves skin condition. A very important point is to brush your teeth immediatly after taking the vinegar, as it is not good to allow it to sit in your mouth(hard on teeth). Just re-read the op, and porridge is massively hard on a lot of peoples stomachs, you are either porridge tolerant, or should avoid oats like the plague. Oat allergies in young children and babies have led to a lot of very very ill kids.

If the cider vinegar does not work very fast(almost immediate), it won't work, you may be better off using peppermint oil capsules. Get the slow release ones. You may have a more ibs related problem as opposed to acid. Peppermint tea will also help. Avoid eating highly processed biscuits like digestives, rich tea etc, and avoid milk. Coffee will also not help, so maybe cut it out for a bit. Chocolat/bars and Ice-cream are another no-no if you suffer from stomach issues. I also see an awful lot of teenagers with dreadful acne who would benefit greatly from eliminating those and taking a very small amount of cider vinegar - it really improves skin condition. A very important point is to brush your teeth immediatly after taking the vinegar, as it is not good to allow it to sit in your mouth(hard on teeth). Just re-read the op, and porridge is massively hard on a lot of peoples stomachs, you are either porridge tolerant, or should avoid oats like the plague. Oat allergies in young children and babies have led to a lot of very very ill kids.

Hi thanks for your reply, weird thing is i have been having porridge all my life 365 days a year so weird it could affect me now. Im booked in to see the doc tomorrow so im going to asked to be sent to a ENT and maybe get some xrays done and stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

OP - has your doctor referred you to a gastrenterologist - it is better to be safe than sorry.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    OP - has your doctor referred you to a gastrenterologist - it is better to be safe than sorry.

No but i will say it to him tomorrow thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

I have taken the cider vinegar in water recently too..having been on zantac for years on and off. The improvement was almost immediate...I went from that swollen-neck feeling with awful acid reflux to almost no symptoms, within 2 days. Im taking 2 teaspoons in a glass of water twice a day and no tabs and throat feels better than it has in months.:) Am a bit worried about effect of vinegar on my teeth tho..is it better to wash em imediately after taking it or a while later, as Ive read somewhere else? Anyone know the answer to this?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rickey01

Acid reflux commonly occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter doesn't close properly and stomach contents leak back into the esophagus. The main symptoms are the burning sensation in your chest or throat. Often acid reflux is worse after eating and can be worse when lying down. Medications are commonly used in acid reflux treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm almost certain I have GERD, I'm off to the GP tomorrow. Constantly clearing my throat, heartburn, nausea etc - not very pleasant. Have been taking Gaviscon for the last few weeks, it's helped a lot. Think it's time for a change of diet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Kayly wrote: »
    I have taken the cider vinegar in water recently too..having been on zantac for years on and off. The improvement was almost immediate...I went from that swollen-neck feeling with awful acid reflux to almost no symptoms, within 2 days. Im taking 2 teaspoons in a glass of water twice a day and no tabs and throat feels better than it has in months.:) Am a bit worried about effect of vinegar on my teeth tho..is it better to wash em imediately after taking it or a while later, as Ive read somewhere else? Anyone know the answer to this?:confused:
    Drink a bit of water after taking the vinegar and then wait for your own saliva to bring your mouths ph balance back to normal (15mins) and then brush or try and just swallow using a straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

Hi all, I have been suffering with acid reflux for the last few months which has caused a few very painful bouts of Esophagitis.
    My GP referred me for a Breath test which can detect a bacteria which sometimes lives in the stomach called Helicobacter pylori which causes excess acid and often leads to ulcers.
    The test came back positive and I'm now on a 2 week course of antibiotics which should get rid of it for good (I hope!). It is definitely worth discussing with your GP as it is not always food choices that cause acid reflux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Hi guys what alcohol can you drink when you have acid reflux, im only 22 and after getting this so its a pain, I heard guinness wasnt as bad as others?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Vain wrote: »
    Hi guys what alcohol can you drink when you have acid reflux, im only 22 and after getting this so its a pain, I heard guinness wasnt as bad as others?

Jesus i'd love to know an answer to this as well, i'm not even 22 but thinking about just giving up on the drink, or else maybe just very rarely. I've had an endoscopy and all that malarky and now im on Romep for life really it seems, going to really try sort out the diet and see what affect that has

If anyone has any general diet/home remedy recommendations they'd be much appreciated, going to give the ACV/eating apples a go, i've seen cinnamon mentioned before as well so might try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i have had GERD and Hiatus Hernia for yrs. someone tell me what this cider vinegar thing is pls?

i have tried several type of tablets. nexium made me violently ill. i am on lanzoprazole at the mo. works most of the time. sometimes i have to take two. sometimes even two doesn't work.

sometimes i can drink. sometimes i can't.

bread/fat/milk etc is a nono (also have IBS)

Hi there,

Listen, first things first, if your getting acid reflux, ulcers blah, blah, blah, its your body telling you that its not happy with what your putting into it. This does not mean that you have to cut out certain foods forever, it just means that you have to change what your putting into it.

On the alcohol front, i had acid reflux a few years back, whiskey and basically all spirits are a no no, and come to think of it beer (including guinness) should not be taken either. Give yourself a rest, give your body a rest. I'm not a big fan of drugs (prescriptive) at all, (most doctors i've met aren't big fans of holistic/natural methods of healing, but prefer ramming drugs down your neck) and usually try whatever's natural, mainly foods.

Give this a read : http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-acid-reflux.htm

On the apple cider vinegar front: go in to a health food shop and buy "Aspall Organic Apple Cyder Vinegar", it'll cost you about 3 or 4 euros, take a teaspoon of it in a glass of water, its a great tonic for the body. If you want the benefits of it, google benefits of apple cider vinegar, there is just too many to mention.

But the first thing you should do is consume less acidic foods, tomatoes, peppers, spicy foods, alcohol, smokes, - your body is just telling you - it needs a break.

Hope some of this helps.

Be good,

R. P. C.

On that link you stuck up, it mentions getting exercise after eating, i've read conflicting reports on this, maybe as it seems with many things associated with GERD it's very much individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I was diagnosed with GERD in Jan 2010, but Ive pretty much managed to get rid of it. I was taking 80mg Omeprazole daily at the beginning, but now I take the odd 20mg usually after a heavy night on the beer.

As part of my training routine I occasionally go on no carb diet for about 3 weeks to lean out and lose a bit of weight. It seems to have cured my GERD as well but i don't really know how it managed it.

I was diagnosed with GERD in Jan 2010, but Ive pretty much managed to get rid of it. I was taking 80mg Omeprazole daily at the beginning, but now I take the odd 20mg usually after a heavy night on the beer.

As part of my training routine I occasionally go on no carb diet for about 3 weeks to lean out and lose a bit of weight. It seems to have cured my GERD as well but i don't really know how it managed it.

I've heard low carb is good for it all right. Anything else you did to get rid of it? I was having it worse than ever but recently changed my diet to some extent, basically just been a bit more sensible, and have started taking ACV and yeah i'm definitely seeing a big improvement. Don't really fancy taking drugs for the rest of my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rickey01

Acid reflux treatment may vary from person to person, depending on the severity of the sickness and the individual’s body situation. Acid reflux is a disease that cannot be cured easily it needs lot of care and treatment to be undergone. One should never ignore thinking it is a minor problem he should go to doctor as soon as he feels uneasiness in his stomach and ask for the treatment required to be followed.

• Advertisement

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    On that link you stuck up, it mentions getting exercise after eating, i've read conflicting reports on this, maybe as it seems with many things associated with GERD it's very much individual.

I'd worry more about what you're putting inside you.

Advertisement