Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCSET 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xmcam

Still no result, will IRCSET staff work today?....

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

They like toying with us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

The notice saying they'll be out today is gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Where?

• Advertisement

Where did you find it? Result come out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I really hope they didn't take the notice down because they're being delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

humph...

• Advertisement

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Pfff

:D:D:D

Hey you guys,

Currently I have fortunately got both the IRCSET scholarship and another institution's Science Foundation Ireland PhD funding opportunity, which should I choose?
    I also plan to undertake a second PhD after this one in Cambridge or MIT(already get one in Cambridge, but unlucky, only a fee-only award), so a relatively well-known award will help my further PhD application. So IRCSET or SFI, looking forward to you guys' help, thx

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niall0s

In my opinion getting IRCSET funding would be considered a much greater achievement considering it is an open competition...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

god I cant believe I didn't get it. I worked my ass off to prepare- so depressed right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

xmcam wrote: »
    I also plan to undertake a second PhD after this one in Cambridge or MIT(already get one in Cambridge, but unlucky, only a fee-only award), so a relatively well-known award will help my further PhD application. So IRCSET or SFI, looking forward to you guys' help, thx

Another PhD? Would you not just do a post doc there?

god I cant believe I didn't get it. I worked my ass off to prepare- so depressed right now

Don't be, competition seems to have been tough this year.
    I know of a guy with a Fullbright scholarship who didn't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Hey you guys,

I'm curious - why would you want to do a second PhD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paul.ucd

dyl10 wrote: »

Assume you're not talking about me dyl - I'm also currently on a Fulbright scholarship and unfortunately wasn't offered funding this time around, looking forward to reading the feedback to see where the holes in my application existed... one of my references was also a bit touchy (man of few words, could well have handed in a paragraph as a reference but thanks to the confidentiallity clause in the references, I'll never know GRRR)

In any case, congradulations to users who DID recieve funding - what a great achievement!

However I was wondering did IRCSET provide any details when informing successful candidates as to the minimum points required this year to qualify? I'm guessing more than 85 points?

Well done again all.

Another PhD? Would you not just do a post doc there?

Mainly because I am pretty interested with one professor's research project which has nothing to do with the one I will undertake now.

This year,only 90 awards with at least 845 eligible applicants, more difficult than any previous competitions, but i would suggest the PRTLI, this seems less competitive than IRCSET, and somehow it's similar with SFI.

paul.ucd wrote: »
    In any case, congradulations to users who DID recieve funding - what a great achievement!

+1

Totally agree, really tough this year so anyone who got it should be very proud of themselves!!!

paul.ucd wrote: »
    Assume you're not talking about me dyl - I'm also currently on a Fulbright scholarship and unfortunately wasn't offered funding this time around

I reckon I probably am talking about you, Paul.
    I'm one of GM's students, hard luck with the application!

I might see you around this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Hey you guys,

Currently I have fortunately got both the IRCSET scholarship and another institution's Science Foundation Ireland PhD funding opportunity, which should I choose?

Having done one PhD will almost certainly disqualify you from having a second PhD with any grant funding. Generally there is no need to do more than 1 PhD - it is not necessary to do another PhD to do high level research in a different field once you can show you have what it takes. There are PhD engineers who have found their career go into economics, for example, and their original PhD is enough for them to be respected as an academic in their new field.

Doing one PhD will be an obstacle, not a help, to getting into another one. If you are set on going to Cambridge or MIT, apply there directly, don't waste 4 years of your life first.

Choosing between IRCSET and SFI, firstly, decide on which project and supervisor you want to work with. If they are roughly equal, pick the one with better funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Doing one PhD will be an obstacle, not a help, to getting into another one. If you are set on going to Cambridge or MIT, apply there directly, don't waste 4 years of your life first.

I agree 110 % with this - most granting agencies wouldn't consider funding a second PhD, and in my field I cant think of any PIs that would accept one. I think this is for the best - being an eternal student isn't good for professional development. If you dont want to work in the field you will be undertaking the PhD in now then why not wait for the phd you want?

Anyone get any feedback on this years competition yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Not yet :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

anyone apply for the AXA insurance scholarship, thats my last hope, results 1st july, 15% success rate so same chance as IRCSET more or less

Advertisement