Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian article on Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

kilburn wrote: »
    You know we should use what we have and push it big time. Limerick was founded by the Vikings, how come we dont have a Viking exhibition or museum, i know there are a few measly bits in the museum but we could do better. Rebuild a long boat, stick it in one of the empty shopping centres like on bedford row and make it Viking world or something like that, rough idea but could work.
    Lonely planet says we are a city well versed in the arts of war, jump on that phrase. Make Nicholas Street the natural extension of the castle, old medieval type shops like in Germany selling Knights gear and old books and parchments. Medieval toys for kids, dudes dressed up in old clothes in the shops. Doesnt take Bill Gates to work these things out.
    Do something with the river, put a famine ship on it or get an old Irish Naval ship and stick it at the quays and make it a museum like in London and many other cities. Put massive water jets in the River like in many european cities, Geneva for example.
    There is so much that could be done and cost fook all. Riverside City do something with the river then !:mad:

Think these things are slowly getting done though, with the exception of the fountains.

Was in the paper that Shannon Development are trying to get Nicholas street redeveloped/remodeled, something John Gilligan has been pushing for for years.

In the last decade or so we've had the Hunt Muesum moved into the city centre and the city (Jim Kemmy) muesum moved from John's square to beside the castle.

There are/were plans to move the Courts complex to Mulgrave street, freeing up space for things like you've suggested down by City Hall.

Btw, Lonely planet is referencing the city motto "Urbs antiqua fuit studiisque asperrima belli", from the Aeneid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

RonMexico wrote: »
    Thanks. You are probably right.

I still think I have a valid point though. I'm sure that tourists do enjoy their stay here for the most part. However the marketing of Limerick as a tourist destination is a joke. We need to vastly up our game if we want to attract more tourists to Limerick.

Trying to offload The Peoples Park as a tourist attraction is the perfect example of this.

Whats wrong with The People's Park? Walking around there in the Spring, Summer or Autumn is wonderful. The flower beds and general landscaping are great and the place is pretty much spotless. I honestly think People's Park is one of the nicest parks I have been to. Also since they put the playground in there, there are alot more families who are starting to utilise the park which I think is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Shannon Development couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery so I would have no faith in any of their plans for Nicholas Street, they started a great job on the Castle and never gave it the final push it needed, instead they went for an empty Castle Lane Tavern. If they had any cop on they would have an annual City Siege recreation like the Robin Hood one at Nottingham Castle. Instead they have loads of empty industrial estates scattered around the county, Askeaton and Newcastle west for example, not to mention Raheen and a falling down Shannon Ind Est.

Advertisement