Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 5 thread

Options
  • 07-10-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭

Bye week: Miami, New England, Pittsburgh, Seattle

Sunday, October 10

Tampa Bay Buccanneers at Cincinnati Bengals 6 pm
    Atlanta Falcons at Cleveland Browns 6 pm
    New York Giants at Houston Texans 6 pm
    Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts 6 pm
    Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins 6 pm
    Jacksonville Jaguars at Buffalo Bills 6 pm
    Denver Broncos at Baltimore Ravens 6 pm
    Chicago Bears at Carolina Panthers 6 pm
    St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions 6 pm
    New Orleans Saints at Arizona Cardinals 9:05 pm
    San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders 9:15 pm
    Tennessee Titans at Dallas Cowboys 9:15 pm
    Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers 1:20 am (Mon morning)

Monday, October 11

Minnesota Vikings at New York Jets 1:30 am (Tue morning)

Tampa Bay Buccanneers at Cincinnati Bengals 6 pm
    Well the bucs got off to a great start before they got absolutely owned by the Steelers. The Bengals were bad last week against the Browns but they are a very balanced offense and at home this game should be easy for them even though they face a team coming off a bye week. Cincinnati Bengals
    Atlanta Falcons at Cleveland Browns 6 pm
    The Falcons haven't looked back since an overtime loss in week 1. They have beaten the Cardinals, Saints(in overtime) and the 49ers since then. Their offense isn't exactly on fire but their D certainly is. Cleveland will pose a few problems but against a solid D like this I have to side with the away team. Atlanta Falcons

New York Giants at Houston Texans 6 pm
    This should be interesting. The Giants have been poor at pass protecting but good at running the ball. In this game they face a D thats not good at getting to the QB but very good at defending against the run. I expect Eli Manning to have a big day but that doesn't mean they will win it. The Texans have looked a little shaky the last two weeks with Andre Johnson not being fully fit and it looks like its going to be a gametime decision on him again this week. Their HC has said that he expect Johnson to play. This will be a close affair imo but I'll take the Texans with home advantage and thinking that Andre Johnson will play. Houston Texans
    Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts 6 pm
    The unbeaten Chiefs go the Lucas Oil Stadium to face the 2-2 Colts. Jeez that sounds backwards but its for real right now. The Chiefs pose a real problem for the Colts with their dual threat in the backfield of Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones. Cassel is getting better week by week too. Pierre Garcon returns to the Colts team for this one. I really like the Chiefs chances here of pulling off the upset but its a hard one to call. I really can't see the Colts losing too many games at home, they are a well coached team who just don't have the personnel on D to stop the run. I still got to take the Colts though in a very tight one. Indianapolis Colts
    Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins 6 pm
    So the Packers go to Detroit last week and most people expected them to win with a little ease at least. They almost lost it and they lost to the Bears the week before. Special teams is a real problem for this team and their running game is not helping either. Its hard to gauge where the Redskins are at, they won in Philly last week but lost away to the Rams. They let the Texans back in at home and lost after a great start to that game. Its a toss up for me, anything could happen in this game but I'll go with the home team. Washington Redskins
    Jacksonville Jaguars at Buffalo Bills 6 pm
    Well the Jaguars are a poor team but they got a great win at home over the Colts last week. And I can't see any way they don't win there against the worst team in the NFL. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Denver Broncos at Baltimore Ravens 6 pm The Broncos are one of those teams that just do it when you least expect it. Kyle Orton is on fire too. The Ravens as usual are the team that just when you think that are all set for a big season they just let you down. I still think the Ravens have too much this week for the Broncos though. Ray Rice will have a big day. Baltimore Ravens
    Chicago Bears at Carolina Panthers 6 pm
    So we got 38 year old Todd Collins under center here againt rookie Jimmy Clausen. A terrible pass protecting OL(Bears) versus a terrible pass rushing DL(Panthers) makes it likely that Collins will get some time in the pocket. Its all different on the other side of the ball as the Bears D will look to get to Clausen who doesn't have a good OL either. I expect the Bears to take this one. Chicago Bears
    St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions 6 pm
    Two developing teams here who are both going about it the right way imo. I really like the looks of the Rams right now and I think they are further along the road than the Lions but they have some playmakers there with Megatron and now Jahvid Best. The Rams D has improved a lot this year but this is a tough one on the road for them. On the other side of the ball though the Lions have not looked at all good and I think Sam Bradford will have his best day so far in the NFL here. Steven Jackson looks like he will play on Sunday and I'm going for the Rams to win a high scoring encounter. St. Louis Rams
    New Orleans Saints at Arizona Cardinals 9:05 pm
    The Saints are winning ugly but they lost one game when their kicker didn't do the business against the Falcons in overtime and their superbowl hangover nearly cost them again last week at home against a pathetic Panthers team. The Cards aren't much better though and this really looks like one the Saints should win. I'm just waiting for the Saints to start motoring which I think will happen at some stage. New Orleans Saints
    San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders 9:15 pm
    This is normally a very close tough game and I don't expect it to be any different this week. The Raiders ran the Texans close last week and I think thats a very similar team to this Chargers bunch. Mike Tolbert has added something to the Chargers though and Ryan Matthews is back healthy now too. The Raiders have not been able to stop the run this year and this could haunt them in this game, that is of course if the Chargers decide to run the ball. I think Norv Turner is a terrible coach and it wouldn't suprise me if the Chargers dig a huge hole for themselves early by going through the air and not running the ball. I think with a sane person the Chargers would win this one easily and even with Norv Turner in charge I think they just about do it but I'll probably be cracking up watching Rivers trying to beat Asomugha. Its not a confident pick by any means due to Turner. San Diego Chargers
    Tennessee Titans at Dallas Cowboys 9:15 pm
    Really interesting matchup here. The Cowboys looked really good before their bye week against the Texans but after seeing how much trouble the Texans then had with the Raiders I'm just not so sure about them yet. The Titans D has been really good for the most part this year and I think Romo could have problems here. They are coming off a bye week though and they are at home. Dallas Cowboys
    Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers 1:20 am (Mon morning)
    Well its back to Kevin Kolb this week and that actually might suit the Eagles as the 49ers are not good against the pass but are excellent against the run, thats if Kolb can get it together. I have no faith in Singletary and I don't think much of Alex Smith either. Neither team are going to allow big yardage on the ground. I think this 49ers offense is just not good enough right now and I'll take the Eagles. Philadelphia Eagles
    I really do want to see Randy Moss destroy the Jets but its his first game there and its hard to know what sort of impact he can have that early into his return to Minnesota. Its a night game too so I expect Sanchez to perform well and he will have Santonio Holmes for the first time here too. I expect a low scoring tough matchup though with two of the best Ds in the NFL on show here. I think everybody in the Vikings camp will have been lifted by the signing of Randy Moss but its the Jets at home and I gotta go with them. New York Jets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bubba gump

Jets fan so only looked at last game. Good snapshot of game but Jets are home team so might get you vote on reflection!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

eagle eye wrote: »
    ...and for that reason I gotta go with the home team. Minnesota Vikings

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Tampa Bay Buccanneers at Cincinnati Bengals
    Atlanta Falcons at Cleveland Browns
    New York Giants at Houston Texans
    Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts
    Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins
    Jacksonville Jaguars at Buffalo Bills
    Denver Broncos at Baltimore Ravens
    Chicago Bears at Carolina Panthers - changing this to panthers now cutler is out...
    St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions
    New Orleans Saints at Arizona Cardinals
    San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders
    Tennessee Titans at Dallas Cowboys
    Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers
    Minnesota Vikings at New York Jets

any elaboration would be pointless...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Ray Rice played injured last week and is still not 100%. He did have a full practice according to the beat writers. Denvers D is not so good against the run either. Ravens all the way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

bubba gump wrote: »
    Jets fan so only looked at last game. Good snapshot of game but Jets are home team so might get you vote on reflection!
    And they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Bucs
    Falcons
    Texans
    Colts
    packers
    Jags
    Broncos
    Panthers
    Lions
    Saints
    Bolts
    Boys
    49ers
    Vikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

evil_seed wrote: »
    Ray Rice played injured last week and is still not 100%. He did have a full practice according to the beat writers. Denvers D is not so good against the run either. Ravens all the way :cool:

So far this season it's better than the Ravens'. Don't underestimate the Bronco's. they're a sharp enough team, with a pretty good Offense (Orton has the 2nd highest yardage through 4 games ... ever! :eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

evil_seed wrote: »

Yeah, sure that Chris Johnson lad we completely shut down last Sunday is no good... in fact we had the best performance against him out of any team that played him in the past year (against the steelers he had a long TD run erased by holding, at home to Denver his longest carry was for 8 yards).... Denver rank 12th against the run this season incidentally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

anyways..

11-5 weeks 1 and 2, 8-8 week 3 and 9-5 last week.

Tampa Bay Buccanneers at Cincinnati Bengals : TB are underrated and look better than last year but I think that the Bengals offence will prove to be too much, even with Palmer looking a bit off

Atlanta Falcons at Cleveland Browns : Cleveland will put up another strong fight but Atlanta will have too much for them, especially as the Cleveland secondary is a mess and is susceptible to getting absolutely abused by White and Gonzalez

New York Giants at Houston Texans : Comedown game for the giants after a big win, Houston are a completely different animal to Chicago as their O line can actually pass protect and can run the ball competently, something which the Giants have struggled against

Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts : Peyton Manning doesn't lose to inferior teams at home. Manning doesn't lose back to back games either. Kansas are coming off a bye which came at the wrong time and could be a momentum killer... all signs point to a Colts win

Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins : I still dont know what to make of the pack so far and the skins have looked shaky in all of their games so far.. il take Rodgers and the pack to get it done, albeit narrowly

Jacksonville Jaguars at Buffalo Bills : Jacksonville have a seriously bad habit of taking games off when not playing in divisional games or high profile ones like a home opener and i definitely expect them to do the same here. This is Buffalo's best chance of a win this year.. however if they dont manage it, theyre staring 1-15 or a possible 0-16 in the face and that is no lie

Denver Broncos at Baltimore Ravens : Ravens are coming off a huge road win and may not get up as easily for a home game against Denver, i expect the Broncos to win one of the next two games and have the feeling this may be the one... Denver defence is more than capable of stopping the Ravens and the offence showed last week that it is more than capable of moving the chains on a high quality physical defence, run game or not.

Chicago Bears at Carolina Panthers : Basically because Collins will start, as little faith as I often have in cutler, hed probably win this one but because collins is in, this is a great chance for clausen to get his 1st win under centre for the Panthers...

St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions : Detroit provided STL with their lone win last year but imo the Lions get their 1st win after coming so close in previous weeks... Rams are on a high after 2 straight wins and Detroit are more than capable of beating them

New Orleans Saints at Arizona Cardinals : Saints aren't looking great but Arizona look absolutely dreadful and are incredibly lucky to even be 2-2

San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders : This is my upset pick this week, the Raiders are absolutely chomping at the bit to end this losing streak to the Chargers and always managed to play them close, even when russell was QB... Raiders played a great houston side close last week while SD blew out a pathetic Arizona at home. Gradkowski is good for an upset win or 2 a year and i think this will be one.

Tennessee Titans at Dallas Cowboys : Tough one to call this, but i think the cheap shot artists of Tennessee pull this one out... CJ has a rebound game

Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers : San Fran look to be a right mess, this will be tighter than expected but the 49ers won't be able to consistently stop the eagles

Minnesota Vikings at New York Jets : Still not sold on the vikings, moss or not, meanwhile the jets have looked very very good and now have santonio holmes as well... Peterson will struggle against the Jets D so the vikings will struggle all day to get their offence going

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye wrote: »
    I really do want to see Randy Moss destroy the Jets but its his first game there and its hard to know what sort of impact he can have that early into his return to Minnesota. Its a night game too so I expect Sanchez to perform well and he will have Santonio Holmes for the first time here too. I expect a low scoring tough matchup though with two of the best Ds in the NFL on show here. I think everybody in the Vikings camp will have been lifted by the signing of Randy Moss but its the Jets at home and I gotta go with them. New York Jets
    It may be the best match up of the 5th week. Jets have home field advantage, and Sanchez is a former Trojan QB, so I am cheering for the Jets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Jacksonville Jaguars at Buffalo Bills
    Chicago Bears at Carolina Panthers
    St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions
    New Orleans Saints at Arizona Cardinals
    Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

spiralism wrote: »
    Yeah, sure that Chris Johnson lad we completely shut down last Sunday is no good... in fact we had the best performance against him out of any team that played him in the past year (against the steelers he had a long TD run erased by holding, at home to Denver his longest carry was for 8 yards.... Denver rank 12th against the run this season incidentally

Like I said not great.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Jacksonville Jaguars at Buffalo Bills, oh I'm so torn on this. I'll go Jags
    Chicago Bears at Carolina Panthers - the Panthers are better then their record. I predicted they'd beat the spread against the Saints last week and now at home this week.
    St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions, Two teams on an upward trend and doing good things to improve. I'll take the Rams on form.
    New Orleans Saints at Arizona Cardinals, with the No.2 pick in the NFL draft, it's the Arizona Cardinals, how this shocking team is 2-2 amazes me. Good luck to their rookie QB, during training camp and pre-season many said he did well. So give him a shot
    Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers Upset special!! 49'ers to take this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

What's that a 72 yard run from Brandon Jackson!
    Finley limped from the field after opening drive though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,190 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Forte has had a fantastic start - 4 carries for 101 yards and 2 TD's.

I started him over Donald Driver with 2 minutes before kickoff in one of my leagues, woo!

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Forte has had a fantastic start - 4 carries for 101 yards and 2 TD's.

I started him over Donald Driver with 2 minutes before kickoff in one of my leagues, woo!

Glad you didn't read this in advance than ;)
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/487031-fantasy-football-week-5-nfl-injury-updates-start-em-sit-em-advice-and-more/entry/16052-nfl-picks-week-5-matt-forte-kevin-walter-donald-driver-or-michael-bush

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Houston, you have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Seriously fustrating being a Bucs fan! Great play mixed with terrible play.

Cody Grim intercepts for a pick 6. Then let the Bengals get us backed up to the 1.

Next play Graham rushes from the one, 61 yards. Next play Freeman throws a hopeless ball picked off! Drives me mad!

Hakeem Nicks is rather delivering for my fantasy team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Bucs fumble it again after a good start to the play.

Todd Collins not working out, 3 INT's for him already.

Should put in hanie and kill off the game, luckily we are playing the Panthers and their offense has been cack other than 2-3 runs...kinda like us :P.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Todd Collins not working out, 3 INT's for him already.

Should put in hanie and kill off the game, luckily we are playing the Panthers and their offense has been cack other than 2-3 runs...kinda like us :P.

I was looking at your schedule and Cutler picked the ideal time to take a break. You have a damn easy schedule for the next few weeks

I'm not sure how the Packers are only 7 points up. The redskins offence is really bad. I hope we don't live to regret not putting up more points.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Anyone watching the Falcons game, how are they playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Good camerawork there to pick out the "Addai is my guy" girl :D

And manning just threw an interception...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hi guys looking for some advice on tonights San Diego Chargers vs Oakland Raiders match.
    San Diego are 5/16 Fav and Oakland 27/10. The spread is -7 for San Diego.
    Is this a good bet guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ravens ripped the Broncos to shreds in the first half.
    Broncos scored a 42yd TD right at the end

2nd half has been a even, scrappy affair.
    Lots of stupid mistakes and penalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Battle of the QB's in Caronlina...

Collins 5/14 26yards 0 TD's and 3 Ints. Clausen 7/14 56 yards 0 TD's and 1 Int.

• Advertisement

Lovie is so stubborn, what is there to lose by putting in Caleb Hanie?

And just as I write this Collins throws his 4th INT :mad:.

Advertisement