Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Commonwealth cock-up leads to condoms blocking drains

Options
  • 07-10-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

Delhi event's organisers 'working around the clock' to remove thousands of condoms obstructing plumbing at athletes' village

The troubled Commonwealth Games in Delhi have been hit by a new problem: thousands of condoms blocking drains at the £150m athletes' village.

Games organisers have said they will work round the clock to clear the prophylactics from pipes at the accommodation blocks housing more than 7,000 athletes and officials.

Mike Fennell, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, sought to put a positive spin on the story at a news conference, saying: "If that is happening, it shows that there is use of condoms and I think that is a very positive story. Athletes are being responsible."

"If they are so active then that's very good," a spokesperson for the organisers said. "We are promoting safe sex."

One official told the local Mail Today newspaper, which broke the story, that more than 4,000 condoms had already been taken from free vending machines since athletes started arriving 10 days ago.

The condom blockage follows an outbreak of gastrocolic problems such as diarrhoea among swimmers this week. Fennell said an urgent inquiry had been ordered into whether contaminated water at the event's newly refurbished swimming pool was responsible for 15 Australian and English swimmers becoming sick.

"If there is something that is unsafe, you can't swim in that water. It's a matter we have to deal with with the greatest of urgency," said Fennell, who has been criticised for his handling of the chaotic runup to the games.

The Indian organisers have insisted that water in both the main pool and the warm-up pool at the aquatic complex was tested, with nothing untoward found. "We don't know why they have fallen ill but it is not the water. Not all the swimmers have fallen sick. Maybe this group went out to eat something somewhere," a spokeswoman said.

A spokesman for Australia's swimming team, Lachlan Searle, said "about a half-dozen" swimmers had been affected by stomach problems. At least three Australians are thought to have gastroenteritis.

Caroline Searle, the England team spokeswoman, said fewer than one in 10 of England's 541 athletes had been affected by a "mild 24-hour stomach condition" since arriving in Delhi.

"Not everybody all in one sport has been ill. There are little pockets across all sports. The levels of mild 24-hour stomach conditions are in fact lower than we anticipated," she said. "We are not complacent as they may well rise in coming days but no athlete has so far been forced to miss any session through illness."

The England hockey team has been affected.

Crowds have continued to be thin at most of the venues but Suresh Kalmadi, chairman of the local organising committee, said 125,000 tickets had been sold in recent days, promising full stands in coming days. Earlier in the week he suggested free tickets might be distributed to school children or the poor to fill seats.

The chaotic Indian preparations for the 19th Commonwealth Games sparked talk of a boycott of the event, which is thought to have cost between £3bn-£6bn to stage. Sunday's opening ceremony briefly allayed the criticism but a series of transport issues, technical malfunctions and problems with food have fuelled further negative coverage.

Distributing thousands of free condoms to athletes has been a tradition since the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. At the Sydney Olympics in 2000 athletes quickly used up the 70,000 free condomsprophylactics, forcing organisers to supply another 20,000, while in Athens four years later the provision was doubled to 130,000. At both the Beijing Games in 2008 and the Vancouver winter Olympics in February 100,000 condoms were provided.

What a clusterfcuk this event has been

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Read as : ''Huge cock blocks drains.''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The games is all fur coats and no knickers. Meanwhile many, many starve in the country just a short distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Huge cock-up.

Yes, I see what you did there

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

'Remove from pipe' - heh, heh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

They've used 4000 condoms in the in the few days they've been over there?!:eek:

Dirty feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Einhard wrote: »

Dirty feckers.

Well they are free.. they may as well get their money's worth. I wish they were free here.. I might get some action then

I love the positive spin the Indians are trying to put on it though. The Free Love Games!!

Well they are free.. they may as well get their money's worth. I wish they were free here.. I might get some action then

LOL yeah, the cost of johnnies is the only reason I'm not getting the ride tonight too!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Who the hell decided that India would be up to hosting this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Yet more proof of what Ireland is missing by not joining this utterly irrelevant egotrip for British nationalists, the British Commonwealth. The benefits are screaming at us all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its just one major mess after another. They had years to get it right and they still got it wrong not just with little errors but major ones.

It will be another good few years before they should even consider thinking about applying for hosting the Olympics. Say at least another 50 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Biggins wrote: »
    The games is all fur coats and no knickers. Meanwhile many, many starve in the country just a short distance away.
    Six billion pounds would buy a lot of dinners. Or portable water filters. Or infrastructure.

Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Einhard wrote: »

Dirty feckers.

They were just to get the performance enhancing drugs into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why are they flushing condoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

And I thought athletes abstained for weeks before their events

I read a book on Muhammad Ali and he felt very strongly about. So do other boxers.
    I would have thought other athletes may be the same. I certainly don't know the sports science behind it, tradition that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Yet more proof of what Ireland is missing by not joining this utterly irrelevant egotrip for British nationalists, the British Commonwealth. The benefits are screaming at us all the time.
    It hasn't been known as the British Commonwealth for about 50 years. Where have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

best form of exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

In India they don't even have the knickers, never mind the fur coat!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

More like a gang bang judging by the amount of johnnies they've all got through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They you realy don't want to know what they are spending on the 2011 Indian Formula One Grand Prix

Hundreds and hundreds of millions and that's year one of a ten year contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

And I thought athletes abstained for weeks before their events

I read a book on Muhammad Ali and he felt very strongly about. So do other boxers.
    I would have thought other athletes may be the same. I certainly don't know the sports science behind it, tradition that's all

Perhaps i'm getting this wrong but i thought that any form of sexual activity can lead to a ban as the testosterone levels increase in males after sex and even ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No doubt those used condoms will go straight to recycle which is nothing new in those parts .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Why are they flushing condoms?

Yeh sure ya can ride a bird three or four times with the one johnny, not a bother an all!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Latchy wrote: »
    No doubt those used condoms will go straight to recycle which is nothing new in those parts .

Remember the bottled water in Slumdog millionaire? Great film but what a terrible place to live in, almost as corrupt as this place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

We would all be as fit as them feckers after using 4000 condoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh sure ya can ride a bird three or four times with the one johnny, not a bother an all!:D
    I think he means why are they disposing of them in toilets, you are probably meant to bin them, though I would say most flush them,
    We are promoting safe sex."

One official told the local Mail Today newspaper, which broke the story, that more than 4,000 condoms had already been taken from free vending machines since athletes started arriving 10 days ago.
    Promoting very safe sex, I expect most are being used for posh ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

El Siglo wrote: »

Or different birds, or even a woman perhaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

deman wrote: »
    It hasn't been known as the British Commonwealth for about 50 years. Where have you been?

Next you'll be saying the B Specials and the UDR/RIR are different because they changed the name following pressure. It's the British Commonwealth, with the 'British' part omitted by some as a means to make the poor backward coloured people in India and the like feel they are equal members along with their formerly superior white conquerers. Bah. Dim natives, eh? Not forgetting that the head of the British Commonwealth is the queen of Britain not some tribal leader in Africa. I wonder why - not.

It's little more than an egotrip for a British nationalism that now has no empire, but plenty of delusions of still being a world power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I love India and all it's foibles.

Far more interesting than the sanitised, homogenised West.

'Chaos is a friend of mine', as Bob once said.

Advertisement