Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Championship draw

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

teednab-el wrote: »
    I reckon Limerick could do a double in Munster next year. There footballers have the beating of Cork and Kerry if they can learn from their mistakes of not closing out games they are in with a real chance. Limerick hurlers have one of the best managers in the game with O Grady and with the selectors of Carey and Ryan, they wil be a hard force for any of the other teams in Munster. You can expect Limerick hurling to be back on track for 2011.

Not expecting much from either team this year to be honest with you. Granted the Waterford draw isn't bad but I'm not too hopeful with the likes of Carey and TJ Ryan involved in the setup. TJ denounced last years players for playing under Justin so how they will have to blend the 2 panels. I've a feeling it will be the same thing as always. A glorious defeat in Munster and a tame exit in the qualifiers.

From the footballers' perspective again I can't see us winning Munster. We could lose a few of the dual players to the hurling and Kerry will be well awake to the threat we Limerick will pose in the semi. Maybe a run in the qualifiers might do us well if we get a few nice draws. Draws aren't the worst but not expecting much but then again I never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Tough draw for Dublin hurling. Dem Offaly lads know how to hurl. It will be interesting to see who comes through.

(I'm from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Are Tipp not allowed a direct route into the semi-final of Munster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Good draw in Leinster Football for Wexford, Offaly, Westmeath, Carlow and Louth.
    Certainly most of these will fancy their chances of a final appearance. Not much between most of them. That draw surely will make winter nights in the muck a lot more bearable for them!
    Leinster Hurling isn't too bad either.
    Galway and Kilkenny apart till the final, (If they get that far.).
    The winners of Offaly and Dublin will relish a crack at Galway, (Again If Galway dispatch Carlow/Westmeath, which looks likely.), and a likely tough game under their belt will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

From Cork point of View the hurling is disaster and football is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Browney7 wrote: »
    Not expecting much from either team this year to be honest with you. Granted the Waterford draw isn't bad but I'm not too hopeful with the likes of Carey and TJ Ryan involved in the setup. TJ denounced last years players for playing under Justin so how they will have to blend the 2 panels. I've a feeling it will be the same thing as always. A glorious defeat in Munster and a tame exit in the qualifiers.

From the footballers' perspective again I can't see us winning Munster. We could lose a few of the dual players to the hurling and Kerry will be well awake to the threat we Limerick will pose in the semi. Maybe a run in the qualifiers might do us well if we get a few nice draws. Draws aren't the worst but not expecting much but then again I never do.
    I'm working in Limerick and talking with the lads today there seems to be very little confidence in the hurlers and a few made a good point that playing division 2 hurling doesn't prepare you properly for the championship. However there is a great confidence that the footballers can win a Munster title next year and I for one reckon a Munster football title could be on it's way to the Treaty county next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i love the confidence of sligo fans, if i was a sligo fan i would worry about beating leitrim first and foremost, leitrim in carrick is no walk-over, ye were well beat there last time out in 2005

as a rossie, i am only looking ahead to the ny game, anything after that is a bonus :p will be good to have the likes of kilbride back up front next year to ease the scoring on donie, there is talk of frankie dolan being brought back into the panel too as he has had a wonderful club campaign for bridgets this year
    i wasnt trying to be disrespect leitrim or roscommon im pretty sure
    ye are happy with the draw too!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mushy wrote: »
    Are Tipp not allowed a direct route into the semi-final of Munster?

No bye's in the Munster Championship this year. Even if there was, Waterford as Munster Champs would get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

KevIRL wrote: »
    No bye's in the Munster Championship this year. Even if there was, Waterford as Munster Champs would get it.

I'm more getting at how they are always in the Q-F's, not to do with bye's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Touhg opener for Galway against Mayo (probably). Heard that's on in McHale Park. Things aren't looking good, seeing as we haven't won a game in the qualifiers since 2005 (?) we could be looking at yet another short summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

dartbhoy wrote: »
    However there is a great confidence that the footballers can win a Munster title next year and I for one reckon a Munster football title could be on it's way to the Treaty county next year.
    there's always great confidence we can cause an upset. But it wont be realised until we have a set of forwards who can put teams away when we're on top in games. We're seeing the same mistakes every year i.e. wayward kicking, shooting from stupid angles, not releasing the ball to a better placed man. They're not learning from their mistakes. Sincerely hope Maurice Horan and his new management team prove me wrong, but all i can see is a continuation of near misses. Its hard to disrupt the Cork/Kerry monopoly when its been there for so long. Lack of belief is as much a factor as lack of scoring power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I'm not overly optimistic for our hurlers.The last 3 years I would have been sure we'd beat Offaly but it looks like Offaly hurling is back on track and we took them for granted in the league this year.The complacency that sets into our hurlers is a concern.I still rate Dublin higer than the likes of Antrim and Offaly but Dublin is still a county on the developmental ladder trying to break into the top 5 or 6.

Footballers have what looks like a handy enough draw against Longford or Laois should Dublin play to their usual capability.I'd expect us to meet Kildare in the semi final if all things remain the same but I do feel Meath will be out for revenge against Kildare and with a new manager in place by then,tey are facing Kildare at the optimum time when they are at their ost vulnerable.No disrespect to Wicklow but I can't see them pulling off an upset against Kildare and go out and do the same to Meath.

Leinster Final looks to be Kildare/Meath/Dublin v Louth/Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kodger

Sarge wrote: »
    As a Louth man I'm delighted with the draw , Chuffed with it actually couldnt of asked for better

Hopefully westmeath will get to another leinster final.....i think louth are just like what westmeath was..a flash in the pan..but westmeath will have the experience to hold on when it gets tight near the final whistle..

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Hope your right Kodger!

But seriously the Wexford/Offly/Westmeath/Carlow/Louth half of the draw is week compared to the other side. The 3 top teams (Dublin, Kildare and Meath for anyone with their head in sand) will knock each other out and in a final anything can happen. All of the above teams will fancy their chances.

On the hurling does anyone know if there will be relegation from Liam McCarty this year? I'm hopeful that Westmeath will have the beating of Carlow anyway! would love to see them get a game against a good county again!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ulster Football 2011

Preliminary
    Donegal v Antrim

Revenge. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Armagh and Down... awesome, winners will probably get tyrone, and thats only to get to the final. Ouch..

Advertisement