Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Clubs and Societies

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Buceph wrote: »

Edit: The Pirate Society was approved because they said they'd show films and have treasure hunts!?! A pirate society?!? An entire society based on Pirates of the Carribean, it's not possible to get more single issue than that, and it was approved.

Is there seriously a Pirate society?

I can't believe there's a pointless hot beverage society,yet the society's guild rejected something as important as a Mind Matters society. It appears to me that the guild just wants society's of a frivolous nature, pretty depressing considering university is meant to be about provoking discussion, thought and new ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

panda100 wrote: »
    Is there seriously a Pirate society?
    No theres not - http://www.collegeroad.ie/societies/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Max001 wrote: »
    Thanks to X43R0 for the explanation of why Mind Matters' application was rejected. I still say the decision reflects very badly on those who chose to occupy student office in UCC.

OnionofV......not a clue what you're babbling about.

I have to say MAx001 I completley agree with everything you have said so far. It is a disgrace that this guild rejected a society who would actually do some good for the campus not just organize piss ups.

I think this should be taken further. A few letters to newspapers, politicians etc. It would also be a much better use of tax payers money...
    I think we should fight for the cause, rather than have a secretive organization (which we pay for) say what we can and cannot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

As stated in Law thread not a UCCer, but I must ask, what exactly is a Hot Beverage Society?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

samf wrote: »

Pity really, cause I had images of a cast that was cross between Johnny Depp & Capt Pugwash all pissed on 'grog', singing Friggin in the Riggin. Oops, did I say that out loud? :eek:

• Advertisement

As stated in Law thread not a UCCer, but I must ask, what exactly is a Hot Beverage Society?

Actually, was wondering this myself. I suppose at one extreme it could be a collection of fops in tweeds and dear stalkers, pronouncing on uber expensive teas from obscure places, or coffees like the beans they feed to cats in Asia and then pick out of their sh!t, which is supposed to be the most expensive on earth. €100 a cuppa or more apparently.

Or at the other extreme, it could be a survivalist cult who drink each other's piss as practice for surviving Armageddon.

Or, maybe its somewhere inbetween. Fops drinking imported piss from aborigines?

Maybe someone can enlighten us? ;)

Sorry, must go adjust my meds :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

samf wrote: »

Right. Except what you've not mentioned is that there was indeed a Pirate Society which the guild approved in 2006. Obviously the guild must have first placed Pirate Soc on probationary status and then outright withdrawn its approval in the intervening period.

But, as a general point, the argument that a particular society is too devoted to a single aspect or activity to be viable can be applied in a reductionist fashion to nearly every society that presently exists. I think it's a whitewash for why the application was in fact rejected; reasons either of finance and impending cutbacks; or the fact that such a sensitive area brought up duty of care questions (i.e. minefield of an ethical/medical nature); There's also the possibility that existing societies who saw it as their 'turf' so to speak made submissions against the proposal.

Either way, the reason given doesn't sound very plausible.

Edit: By the way, given that we have now not just a new Equality Officer position as an obvious adjunct to the Welfare Officer, but he also has loads of sub-officers, would this mean that there is no essential purpose to, say, the likes of the LGBT or Mature Student societies? Is it not the job of the equality officer to promote the issues affecting the aforementioned groups, end of?

You see, it's perfectly possible that Mind Matters could also have functioned as a meeting place for people with experience of and/or a mental health condition. All that Mature Students and LGBT purport to do, other than campaign for equal treatment and respect, is bring students of such backgrounds together.

Plautus wrote: »
    Right. Except what you've not mentioned is that there was indeed a Pirate Society which the guild approved in 2006. Obviously the guild must have first placed Pirate Soc on probationary status and then outright withdrawn its approval in the intervening period.

But, as a general point, the argument that a particular society is too devoted to a single aspect or activity to be viable can be applied in a reductionist fashion to nearly every society that presently exists. I think it's a whitewash for why the application was in fact rejected; reasons either of finance and impending cutbacks; or the fact that such a sensitive area brought up duty of care questions (i.e. minefield of an ethical/medical nature); There's also the possibility that existing societies who saw it as their 'turf' so to speak made submissions against the proposal.

Either way, the reason given doesn't sound very plausible.

Edit: By the way, given that we have now not just a new Equality Officer position as an obvious adjunct to the Welfare Officer, but he also has loads of sub-officers, would this mean that there is no essential purpose to, say, the likes of the LGBT or Mature Student societies? Is it not the job of the equality officer to promote the issues affecting the aforementioned groups, end of?

You see, it's perfectly possible that Mind Matters could also have functioned as a meeting place for people with experience of and/or a mental health condition. All that Mature Students and LGBT purport to do, other than campaign for equal treatment and respect, is bring students of such backgrounds together.

Interesting. I love the smell of a conspiracy in the morning ;)

C3PO ...... care to retort?

Advertisement