Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your questions for Paul Gogarty TD here.

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 115 Verified rep PaulGogartyTD

Newff wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

Will you raise a PQ regarding these issues?

Yes I will, in relation to why an investigation was not held. If you like to frame it.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    For the Deputy Gogarty and the Green Party's support for the current governmentthread:

Deputy Gogarty,

Your response to a number of questions asking why the citizens of Ireland shouldn't be given an opportunity to select who we want to implement a 4-year budget has been that we wouldn't have enough time to have the general election and have the budget passed by the time we need to borrow more money. My reading on that is that you don't disagree with those of us (the vast majority at this stage) that believe the current government has no mandate to make decisions on our behalf.

If this is the case, why haven't you pushed for a general election anytime over the last two years as the government's approval has fallen and fallen?

Because the other factor in the equation is whether we are getting Green policies implemented (yes) and whether we think there is any great difference with Fine Gael and Labour (no).

gambiaman wrote: »
    Reading the answers by the TD, still no definitive answer on 'has there been any legislation brought forth in the past two years to deal with the monstrosity of huge pension pots/golden handshakes to those directly involved in the so-called regulation of the financial sector and the running of the banks" and also the transferring of assets to spouses by those implicated in said financial institutions/developers which has brought this overpowering deadweight on the Irish peoples shoulders for at minimum, the next decade or two.

It is a National Disaster, so where is the intelligent legislation to freeze the obscene pensions and bonuses that the implicated people are allowed to crawl away with while the worker gets ready for a bumrape?
    There have been well cosseted and well-got 'public servants' retiring/resigning/moved sideways over the past two years, involved up to their oxters in this who are still getting away with obscene amounts of money for basically not doing their jobs.
    Anything at all to freeze their 'entitlements' until they are cleared of gross incomepetence, if not downright corruption?

It is something that frustrates us, but relates to the law and the process of law, not the protection of said individuals by their cronies.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Well Im glad at least one member of the Greens acknowledges that this is going to happen.

I know Devore has asked a similar question in another thread but do you really believe that at this moment in time as the country is falling apart around us that Green policies are the best for Ireland Incorporated.

And do also think that a split in the Green party is needed in order to get the party back to its roots.

All you have to look at is what I would only describe as ludicrous policies that the greens keep flogging as Ireland burns.Ive taken the following examples from another users post.

In my opinion the Green Party have put their own interests at heart rather than the countrys.Personally I`ll look back at some of what Ive quoted above and ask myself could I ever vote Green again and as things stand I cant see that happening any time soon.

To be totally honest the fact that you have come onto boards.ie and allowed ordinary citizens to ask you questions that most politicians would avoid has gone some way to show me personally how credible you as a politician are and by that I mean Paul Gogarty and not the Green party.

I tell you what you can do.You can get onto your colleagues in your party and ask them to vote against the government in an important Dail vote that would force a General Election--Stop your backing of them completely.
    In my eyes (and Id imagine a lot of former Green party supporters) this would go some way to make me consider giving the Greens a second chance in the future but as it stands now with your continuing support for Fianna Fail I will never vote Green again and I firmly believe that this is the opinion of many,many former Green party supporters.

That may be the view of many, but we were doing fine in the polls for a year and a half in Government, so in essence entering Government with FF was not the issue, it was the economic situation and the measures to sort out a problem largely identified as being of FF's making.

We believe that the country cannot afford NOT to implement Green policies as with peak oil approaching and the costs of environmental damage being factored into economic thinking on a global basis, the only way we are going to protect our self sufficiency and create jobs in the future is to be at the forefront of the new thinking rather than grudgingly falling behind our EU cohorts.

As I said on Twitter, it's not about how we do in the next election, it's about the next generation and indeed the generations after. We cannot borrow from tomorrow to pay for today, but that is what we have all been doing.

Scarab80 wrote: »
    From the introduction of the EMU in 2000 until 2007 Ireland had real interest rates between -2% and 0% which was clearly a significant contributor to the property bubble. With the exception of schemes such as the ineffective SSIA and the more effective Pension Reserve Fund government and regulator intervention was wholly absent in attempting to control the money supply.

Is there now a serious recognition of the need to control monetary policy through fiscal and regulatory measures both within government and the dail and how would these interventions manifest themselves.

I am not sure, because people tend to forget when things pick up again. Certainly no Government in the next 20 years would seek to stimulate property again. The Commission on Taxation has recommended rolling out a wider income gathering net and if we had got a steady income stream that was recession proof, ie local charges and taxes on energy and scarce resources, then the revenue would not have dried up to the same extent during the downturn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Looking at the house hold costs, the week to week running cost over an average semi D home with two kids, it honestly looks like the green parties policies as implemented have done nothing but drive up those running costs, with carbon taxes, increases in heating and lighting charges, waste costs and now we hear of proptery taxs, the tax breaks on intrest for mortgages is gone and the return of water charges.

While I can appreicate going green for a better enviroment for the sake of kids and grandkids to come the cost per household is absurd. Esp when there are millionaires not paying tax and you get tax breaks for horses but not for children.

Why aren't the green party pushing for solar panels on the roofs of schools and windturbines, so that parents don't have to top up the sort fall in the running costs of school?

Why aren't the greens looking as saving trees by breaking up the quango which is the constant changing of school books by publishers and the over use of work books?

Also speaking of the next generations, where does the green party stand on lower the voting age, making voting compulsary and sorting out a national id card to cut down on voting fraud and people having to pay for passports to use as photo id?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How does the Green Party justify the recent closure of the Waterford/Rosslare railway? It was the first full rail closure since 1967 and on the Green Party's watch - some achievement!!!

From post #7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I am not sure, because people tend to forget when things pick up again. Certainly no Government in the next 20 years would seek to stimulate property again.

But isn't NAMA based completely on doing that ? The NAMA that The Greens chose to vote for against the wishes of most of the country ?

The property market has "recovered" as in copped on to realistic prices (maybe with a little more to fall) but NAMA is keeping prices artificially high (based on current demand) and is hoping that prices will go back up in order to claw back some of our money that was spent on said properties & their loans.

I've a question for you, though. How come that the minimum I can pay for refuse charges is a collection every two weeks, even though my recycling ensures that I only have a bin to collect every 3 to 4 weeks ?

That works out at between €17 & €25 per bin lift.

Also, regarding the property tax and septic tank charges and other charges proposed; the people who are going to be hit have ALREADY paid stamp duty and have ALREADY paid for installation of their own tanks.

Why are the government adamant that the same people will be hit again just because the government wasted the money ?

Do the government believe that no matter how much money they waste that they can come running to our pockets every time, and charge us multiple times for the exact same thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How does the Green Party justify the recent closure of the Waterford/Rosslare railway? It was the first full rail closure since 1967 and on the Green Party's watch - some achievement!!!

From post #7

It was answered with this post.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That may be the view of many, but we were doing fine in the polls for a year and a half in Government,
    so in essence entering Government with FF was not the issue,

Well I personaly lost all faith in the Greens the day you entered government with FF.As for whether you were polling well in the first 18 months--I couldnt care less.The fact of the matter is that now with the country in the state its in you are still harping on about Green issues that are costing me as an ordinary citizen more and more money on an ongoing basis and costing the country a fortune.
    it was the economic situation and the measures to sort out a problem largely identified as being of FF's making.

So you agree that FF are responsible for the mess the country is in??Well why not do something about it .Stop backing FF-It is as simple as that.
    We believe that the country cannot afford NOT to implement Green policies as with peak oil approaching and the costs of environmental damage being factored into economic thinking on a global basis, the only way we are going to protect our self sufficiency and create jobs in the future is to be at the forefront of the new thinking rather than grudgingly falling behind our EU cohorts.

Thats typical spin to be honest.Green policies are too expensive to implement at this time.
    Yes if we had the money-by all means go and implement everything thats Green but we as a country cannot afford it now.

As I said on Twitter, it's not about how we do in the next election,
    I find that hard to believe as most politicians are more afraid of losing their cosy number with massive wages and benefits.
    Since the downturn in the economy Ive taken over a 30% pay reduction.Why dont all of Dail Eireann do the same and show us that you lot really actually care about this country.Because looking in from the outside it definately doesnt look that way.
    it's about the next generation and indeed the generations after. We cannot borrow from tomorrow to pay for today, but that is what we have all been doing.

Well if this keeps up there wont be a next generation--They`ll all have emigrated to get away from the increases in taxes,lack of jobs and lowering of the standard of living that this FF/Green party are currently responsible for.Im even considering it myself at the minute--Taking my wife and 4 kids away from here so that I can give them a better life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Because the other factor in the equation is whether we are getting Green policies implemented (yes) and whether we think there is any great difference with Fine Gael and Labour (no).

But you don't think the people should get to decide if they still want you implementing Green policies or whether there's enough difference to make us want a change?

It just smacks of FF and the Greens hanging onto all power at all costs, no matter what the public sentiment because the situation will be better in 2012 than it is now and thinking the backlash will be lessened. I think that might be the case for FF but the longer the Greens prop up this sham government, the more support you'll lose - at least I hope you do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

nkay1985 wrote: »
    but the longer the Greens prop up this sham government, the more support you'll lose - at least I hope you do.

Id have an awful lot more respect for the Greens if they stopped propping FF up and did what the people want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Newff

Yes I will, in relation to why an investigation was not held. If you like to frame it.

Thanks for the offer Paul.......but that question was already answered by Ryan. He is on record as saying "an exhaustive inquiry was carried out and he is satisfied"

The question would have to be in relation to the quality of the investigation initiated by Minister Dempsey.

My personal disgust of the Greens comes from their backing of this looking up trees type investigation.

So on the quality of the investigation will you ask these questions

Did the Minister ask the Board of Directors of Bord Gais to explain the alleged illegal activity, seeing as under law they are responsible for policy and procedures? Y or N?

Did the Minister ask the Commissioners to explain why they endorsed the alleged illegal activity of Bord Gais as reasonable? Y or N?

Did the Minister ask the Commissioners to explain why the organisation charged with enforcing customer charters in the industry, has published charters that make no sense regarding their appeals procedures? (not that it matters because the staff don’t know they have one and still don’t looking at the energycustomer.ie web site) Y or N?

If the answer is Yes to the above was he satisfied that no illegal activity took place and no government guidelines were broken?

If the answer is No or don’t know, what action will the Minister take?

And you still haven't answered the questions in relation to Minister Ryans conduct

gandalf wrote: »
    It was answered with this post.

Thanks. Missed it before. Of course the answer was a pack of lies. No attempt was made to promote the line but what would you expect from a Green TD who is better known for his colourful language than his grasp of policies. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thanks. Missed it before. Of course the answer was a pack of lies. No attempt was made to promote the line but what would you expect from a Green TD who is better known for his colourful language than his grasp of policies. :rolleyes:

Believe me I am as frustrated as you are but I don't honestly feel that I expected anything other than those type of responses when this process started.

There were a few interesting tit bits but nothing of any real note, especially from the "rebel" of the Government ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It is something that frustrates us, but relates to the law and the process of law, not the protection of said individuals by their cronies.

Still no answer Paul.
    What legislation (ie, laws) has your govt enacted to respond to the awarding of excessive handshakes/pension pots and transferring of assets by people directly involved in the organisations which have brought this country to its knees in the past two years?
    Both public and private (now public) organisations.

And 'reasonable expectation' of ones 'entitlements' can be turned into the taxpayers reasonable expectation of performing competently in ones job and not being rewarded for absolute failure - that's a requirement in the real world.

===
    I can't post in the 'wrap-up'thread but would like to thank the owner of boards for getting this off the ground especially in such a short space of time and while on holliers!
    Also, of course, to the TD for agreeing to get involved, thanks.

I don't know what to think of the format used, the jury is out on that one but acknowledge that it is the first of it's kind and for all that went quite well.

I noticed how Paul Gogarty answered the great unwashed in the open thread, which was good as questions raised there and not forwarded on the closed threads got a response. Fair play, Paul.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My 71 year old mother and 76 year old father arrived in Malta on Tuesday, just before all of this kicked off. I dont say that for sympathy but it explain why I'm freakin frazzled hahaha

As a wrap up and when its all settled down I think we will have another thread to think about how we run these things in future. I think this went well but could be better.

Also, if people want to say "thats a lie" you need to (and should) be able to back it up with proof of some description.

DeV.

There is a thread which I started here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851547&highlight=Waterford+Rosslare+Railway which has had 62,908 views and this highlights what went on over the rail closure but I didn't wish to drag that thread in here. The Greens, Ciaran Cuffe, in particular stood idly by. I suppose I was a bit narky and apologise. :)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Looking at the house hold costs, the week to week running cost over an average semi D home with two kids, it honestly looks like the green parties policies as implemented have done nothing but drive up those running costs, with carbon taxes, increases in heating and lighting charges, waste costs and now we hear of proptery taxs, the tax breaks on intrest for mortgages is gone and the return of water charges.

While I can appreicate going green for a better enviroment for the sake of kids and grandkids to come the cost per household is absurd. Esp when there are millionaires not paying tax and you get tax breaks for horses but not for children.

Why aren't the green party pushing for solar panels on the roofs of schools and windturbines, so that parents don't have to top up the sort fall in the running costs of school?

Why aren't the greens looking as saving trees by breaking up the quango which is the constant changing of school books by publishers and the over use of work books?

Also speaking of the next generations, where does the green party stand on lower the voting age, making voting compulsary and sorting out a national id card to cut down on voting fraud and people having to pay for passports to use as photo id?

We have pushed for solar panels and wind turbines as witness by PQs I tabled to the Minister and queries raised in committee.

We are planning an initiative regarding school books from the perspective of the weight of school bags next year.

You talk of all these costs. The idea of green taxes is to try and include the actual environmental cost of waste disposal and/or pollution. It isn't currently factored into many things. Our policy is to reduce taxes on income (jobs) and put it onto scarce resources. Also to ensure a stead stream of income rather than another stamp duty bubble. However in the current economic situation income taxes are going up and it suits everyone to blame the Greens for those pesky extra taxes when we actually want them to be replacement taxes.

Has your party pursued the banning of fluoridated water in this State - Ireland is the most heavily fluoridated country in Europe (circa 71%).
    Most of our neighbours and EU partners don't fluoridate their public water supplies because of health issues associated with it, what has your environmental party done to reverse this for the populace?

It has proved more difficult than we first thought to deal with this, especially with objections from various Government departments not in our control. The likelihood is that there will be another study and we are pushing for local authorities to have a right to make the decision regarding fluoridation of their water. This will be a step in the right direction meaning that public pressure on Councillors should be able to effect real change.

If the Dublin Mayor was Green, this would be an area we could influence directly.

• Advertisement

We are planning an initiative regarding school books from the perspective of the weight of school bags next year.

That wasn't the question. Even if there are new, lighter schoolbooks there is still a massive cost involved.
    You talk of all these costs. The idea of green taxes is to try and include the actual environmental cost of waste disposal and/or pollution. It isn't currently factored into many things. Our policy is to reduce taxes on income (jobs) and put it onto scarce resources. Also to ensure a stead stream of income rather than another stamp duty bubble.

That simply doesn't make sense. If the aim is to get people to waste less, then the income obtained in this manner will decrease. What do you do then ? Invent more taxes and charges ?

In addition, as I've already outlined, trying to be green (small "G") is already far too expensive, as I've outlined in my account of waste disposal charges; in order to get recycling collected, I have to pay the charge equivalent to disposing of a full bin of regular rubbish every fortnight, despite only "needing" that once a month.

The Greens - aside from doing the decent thing re FF - need to make it sustainable for people to choose the green option, and not lump on additional charges like the septic tank charge to everyone; remember that your motto used to be "polluter pays" - a motto that you've failed to implement both in green terms and in terms of the economy.

This gets my goat, and this isn't just a problem with the greens but across the board. Do you think the members of the Dail through their behaviour and their salaries/expenses properly reflect the 'crisis' part of this economic crisis? There are many people unemployed and for most of those who are employed they are happy to get a decent wage for the work they do, most don't get paid for travelling to work. And so manypepople due to expectations encouraged by FF bought in places like Leitrim thinking they'd trade up closer to a city and their workplace as years went by. People commute hours to work without extra payment, you lot in the Dail are in absolute terms and comparatively with other state representatives, well paid. You should be properly leading by example and cutting your own cloth for the duration of this crisis. The worst crisis in recent Irish history and the TDs remain the best paid in the world. Secondly where is the urgency in your actions, the expediency? Why after two years do we not have people jailed? People barred from politics? People taxed on their pensions?

In another post you recognise the need to reform global financial institutions, you have the chance to reform how it all works in Ireland, what have you done?

Insofar as the existing system can be reformed, we have a new regulator from outside the country and the issue of the rules and regulations and lax enforcement thereof is being examined.

Regarding taxing pensions and jailing people, as I stated elsewhere, the law has to be allowed take its course. Look at what happened to Trevor Sargent.

But you cannot, for example, introduce a different system of banking, clear all debt, tax speculation, tax long haul food imports etc, separate to the EU or existing trade agreements.

Regarding TDs expenses, I was the first to call for pay cuts and for vouched expenses. Last year was a significant start and I am sure there is more on the way. All Green TDs do not take corporate donations and donate the maximum annual amount allowed to the Green Party, which also is limited financially because it does not take money from vested interests.

But an analysis of what the expenses are largely spent on will show the necessity to have them, at least under the current electoral system. Otherwise politics will be even more a plaything for those who are rich, or who have rich and powerful friends. At least right now ordinary people can get elected and play a part.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That wasn't the question. Even if there are new, lighter schoolbooks there is still a massive cost involved.

That simply doesn't make sense. If the aim is to get people to waste less, then the income obtained in this manner will decrease. What do you do then ? Invent more taxes and charges ?

In addition, as I've already outlined, trying to be green (small "G") is already far too expensive, as I've outlined in my account of waste disposal charges; in order to get recycling collected, I have to pay the charge equivalent to disposing of a full bin of regular rubbish every fortnight, despite only "needing" that once a month.

The Greens - aside from doing the decent thing re FF - need to make it sustainable for people to choose the green option, and not lump on additional charges like the septic tank charge to everyone; remember that your motto used to be "polluter pays" - a motto that you've failed to implement both in green terms and in terms of the economy.

Books are still a necessity in schools. And they need to be modernised. You need a set curriculum and authors retain copyright. But you can alter the format and allow for a set price to be paid for the ownership in multiple formats. I don't understand the question in terms of how you break monopolies if you accept that there is a standardised curriculum.

Regarding new technology, the costs for laptops are prohibitive but I have suggested using lower tech modules that access data stored remotely using "cloud computing". If this were the norm one would need to ensure that all students have equal opportunity, both in school and at home. The costs would have be affordable and to also justify the outcomes.

On a positive note, Eamon Ryan has rolled out a major broadband initiative for all schools at second level.

Regarding polluter pays, the polluter's charge is already included in the price of the good or service. When it goes to the citizen, he or she becomes the polluter and he or she has a choice as to where to dispose or how much of a scare resource to use.

It is really way too difficult to go into the concepts of why Green taxes are put down, but it relates to the sustainability of the planet and the usage of scarce resources. I recommend any book by Feasta or Richard Douthwaite on this subject.

Still no answer Paul.
    What legislation (ie, laws) has your govt enacted to respond to the awarding of excessive handshakes/pension pots and transferring of assets by people directly involved in the organisations which have brought this country to its knees in the past two years?
    Both public and private (now public) organisations.

And 'reasonable expectation' of ones 'entitlements' can be turned into the taxpayers reasonable expectation of performing competently in ones job and not being rewarded for absolute failure - that's a requirement in the real world.

===
    I can't post in the 'wrap-up'thread but would like to thank the owner of boards for getting this off the ground especially in such a short space of time and while on holliers!
    Also, of course, to the TD for agreeing to get involved, thanks.

I don't know what to think of the format used, the jury is out on that one but acknowledge that it is the first of it's kind and for all that went quite well.

I noticed how Paul Gogarty answered the great unwashed in the open thread, which was good as questions raised there and not forwarded on the closed threads got a response. Fair play, Paul.

Thanks for your comments. I cannot answer your question fully at this point as I know that my colleagues are putting pressure regarding what actions can be taken to make those that cost us all to pay.

The difficulty in enacting legislation retrospectively has already come up in relation to former Ministers whose pensions cannot be cut entirely in this term, but will be able to have them cut next time around.

I am sure where such pensions relating to other individuals can be cut, they will be cut. There are no cronies being protected, please believe me. It is partially to do with legal barriers and partially to do with political will by those in cabinet, my own Ministers obviously included collectively as part of that grouping. I suspect it is more of the former than the latterm, but if you like I can table PQs on your behalf to find out exactly what has been done to date.

Regarding new technology, the costs for laptops are prohibitive but I have suggested using lower tech modules that access data stored remotely using "cloud computing". If this were the norm one would need to ensure that all students have equal opportunity, both in school and at home. The costs would have be affordable and to also justify the outcomes.

OK - you do know that cloud computing requires fast broadband, yes ? And not the crappy wireless midband that most have to put up with ?
    Regarding polluter pays, the polluter's charge is already included in the price of the good or service. When it goes to the citizen, he or she becomes the polluter and he or she has a choice as to where to dispose or how much of a scare resource to use.

It is really way too difficult to go into the concepts of why Green taxes are put down, but it relates to the sustainability of the planet and the usage of scarce resources. I recommend any book by Feasta or Richard Douthwaite on this subject.

Sorry, but that's not an answer. I have already suggested that those who have leaking septic tanks be fined more, so that those who maintain their tanks - at their own cost - aren't hit again.

Likewise, the above completely ignores anything that I said in relation to the issue. It would be cheaper for me to dump everything but because I have an interest in the environment I recycle; that recycling incurs a cost of fortnightly collection, even though I only dispose of enough rubbish that a monthly collection would be sufficient.

So less of the "it's complicated" replies and please refer to the facts; why is the above the case if people are supposed to have a "polluter pays" principle and encourage recycling, etc ?

gandalf wrote: »
    Believe me I am as frustrated as you are but I don't honestly feel that I expected anything other than those type of responses when this process started.

There were a few interesting tit bits but nothing of any real note, especially from the "rebel" of the Government ;)

In terms of your colleague saying I am lying, I am not sure what he is referring to. If I said something I know or thought to be so, that was not a lie. I did not say anything I know to be false and do not think I said anything that was so factually incorrect as to be construed as a lie.

BTW, I am NOT a rebel!!!!! I have voted with the Government on every occasion. I have done this because I am part of a Green Party collective, with a whip system applied. But I do have a mind of my own, a (big) mouth of my own and some small influence within my own party, as was witnessed when Education was protected in the programme for Government.

Do you want me to say something I know not to be true, just to be seen to be at odds for the sake of it. Where I am at odds, I said it. Where I am at one, I said it. In Government you have to be pragmatic in trying to achieve things because you are not a single dictator with all the power and influence. This is why the Green Party is always open to being accused of selling out or not achieving, no matter what.

I can only go back to the German Greens once more: In Government, support fell to 3% . In opposition during a recession they are now the second largest party at 24%. It shows that we might have been able to make hay in opposition this time around if we had got any speaking time. But it's not about maximising seats, it's about implementing policies. No doubt the German Greens will enter Government again, do some great things, but fall short of their ideals, and whoosh back down the polls again.

I have voted with the Government on every occasion. I have done this because I am part of a Green Party collective, with a whip system applied.

How many times would you have voted differently if the whip had not been applied ?

NAMA ?
    Anglo bailout ?
    Confidence in O'Donoghue ?
    Confidence in O'Dea ?
    Confidence in Sargent ?
    Confidence in Cowen ?

Sparks wrote: »
    Repeating an earlier question for the 'The Green Agenda' thread:

Why should an extremist minority with questionable ties, such as ICABS, be feted by the government to the point where their inventing and awarding Minister Gormley a 'lifetime achievement award' is sufficient to have Leinster House reserved for the event (even if that reservation was later changed to somewhere else)? Given that there are far more voters involved in fieldsports than opposed to it; and that those voters do more for green issues like conservation and reintroduction of species than any other state body or NGO; is it right for the ideology of democracy to be subverted by the ideology of a party elected through democratic means?

Also, given that the Green Party have pursued anti-salmon-fishing policies for some time now, where are the sustainable salmon on the menu for that event coming from?

Perhaps it was about playing up achievements made in the field of animal welfare and playing to a sympathetic audience for once. The award would have been given because John Gormley did more than most in his position to protect animals.

The Green Party is not against shooting, hunting, fishing etc, but we are against fur farming (hopefully a ban on way) and hare coursing (not in the PfG). If people don't like those policies, don't vote for us. But most people were against domestic stag hunting and support protection for dogs. We acknowledge the conservation role played by many in the fields sports fraternity.

But thanks to the propaganda spun by the well funded RISE campaign along with cynical FF, FG and Labour rural TDs, the Greens have been painted as haters of rural Ireland and rural values.

If any of your groups want to award John Gormley with a lifetime achievement award, no doubt he will gladly accept it.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Lenihan or Martin can only be Taoiseach if FF get the biggest majority at the next election or get propped up.

So if you're offered a carrot of Lenihan or Martin as Taoiseach via a vote to support FF, what would you do ?

You claim that you want FF punished, and yet a vote in that scenario might be compromised by a different preference ?

Then vote accordingly. Until you do the above statement is just a populist soundbite.

And how you can rate Lenihan is beyond me. The guy that didn't read reports and rushed into NAMA and Anglo without looking at alternatives or putting in safeguards for the public who are expected to foot the bill ?

Here in Ireland you end up with the ones that are a few years past their sell-by date because the Greens propped them up.

Get out of that garden! I was asked who did I think would make the best Taoiseach. I answered personally based my instinct. I did not answer on the basis of who we would like to share Government with. The answer to that is a Green overall majority in 2022, before it is too late for the country. If we have to share with Labour then ideologically, they would be closest to us on the social front at least. But how long is a piece of string. Those types of questions get those types of answers.

And Liam, it is clear we disagree and your prejudices are confirmed because we are not going to agree. You said as much by not seeking to get involved in the formal debate.

I think BL has done a great job under the circumstances, decisions were made quickly in the best interests of the country and were some of the alternatives you suggested put into play at the time, then this country would have been worse than Russia in the 1990s. Perhaps the short, sharp, shock could have been sorted by now and we would be leaner and getting used to our new standard of living.

But I think it is better to wean our country and politicians off the savings of German senior citizens gradually, without all of the withdrawal symptoms hitting us at once.

• Advertisement

There is a thread which I started here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851547&highlight=Waterford+Rosslare+Railway which has had 62,908 views and this highlights what went on over the rail closure but I didn't wish to drag that thread in here. The Greens, Ciaran Cuffe, in particular stood idly by. I suppose I was a bit narky and apologise. :)

I know for a fact that Ciaran got involved in this both before and after becoming a Minister. But he was not fully convinced and did not convince others about the merits.

That said, the suggestions in the thread about possibly a private consortium taking over the line are worth exploring.

I must reiterate again that more lines have been opened/re-opened since the Green Party came into Government than for many years in the past.

I have not been lying, but if someone knows more about the facts on the ground as opposed to Ciaran Cuffe's interest and activity, I will certainl bow to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement